A sound proof box or room?

waw423

• Members

Well I have a problem with my neighbor who lives downstairs. He can hear my drumming and complains alot. is there a way to somehow block the sound from going downward??? I have to move out or stop drumming. :(

Also maybe build a wall surrounding it a bit so my other neighbors wont hear

like those plastic shields at guitar center

• Members

Sound proofing really isn't economical, especially if you are worried about sound traveling through the floor. You would need to decouple your drums entirely from the structure of your building. It would seriously be cheaper to move.

Electronic drums?

• Members

I would invest in some practice pads and triggers for headphones or something.

Drums and Bass are the hardest to stop. Basically you will have to build a room within your room, then spend some serious cash sound proofing it. If you own the place, might be worth it. If you are renting, well the new room is not really movable.

I would consider moving, renting a rehearsal space, electronic drums, or practice pads.

There is a drummer that lives a block or so away and I can still hear him/her practicing.

• Members

There is a drummer that lives a block or so away and I can still hear him/her practicing.

Same here. I've wondered if by chance, his drumming and my guitar playing (which could possibly also be heard from a his house) ever synchs up, if even for a moment.

• Members

I was at an apartment recently where the guy built a plexiglass cage around his drum set. I think it would be a fun project. You would probably need to build a floor for the cage that was decoupled from the floor with some kind of insulation.

The commercial booths are around $2k I think.

I live in a duplex, I am ground floor and only share one wall. My drummer comes over on Saturday afternoons, and so far no complaints.

• Members

How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?

None, they have machines that do that now. :D

It'd be cheaper to go buy the people in the area McDonald's, like the commercial. Way too expensive to do in a rented dwelling.

You might want to look into renting a rehersal space?

• Members

It partially depends if you are a person that likes projects and building stuff. Since I am single, no kids, and don't shave my legs, I probably have a little more free time than the average person.

My projects rarely end up being cheaper than buying the item, especially since each project is an excuse to buy a drill press, router or bandsaw, etc. But if you can spare the time and energy, I think making stuff is very therapeutic. It forces me to confront my pain, when I smash my hand with a hammer or try to cut my thumb off with an exacto knife (true story-and I had to play keyboard the next day at a gig...)

Archived