SO MANY amps to choose from: which should I get?

jyd59

• Members

I like classic rock, metal, speed, thrash, blues...everything you all like. I currently have a Mesa Dual Rec 3 chnl head thru a 4x12 cab but I've grown tired of it. I've got Les Pauls/Strats/Jacksons/Deans to play with and I want an amp to make them all sound awesome.

I'm impressed with the Marshall JVM 410 and its versatility but I'd appreciate some feedback from y'all regarding your experience with ENGL, Egnater, Splawn, VHT, Diezel, etc.

Have any of you played the jvm? What did you think?

• Members

These are all great amps and your personal preference is what will determine which one fits your style best. Hate to give you such a cliche answer but you really need to try them out or at least listen to clips of each amp to narrow down your search.

Having said that, the JVM is a solid amp, very versatile and sounds like a Marshall. Cleans and reverb are good too. But all amps on your list are good, including the one you currently have.

• Members

I am not a Marshall fan so the JVM is out for me. Owned a DSL for years and I just don't like that "Marshall" tone. I have played on a JVM and they do sound better for metal imo than the DSL. I personally like ENGL. Although I do not own one that is what I am currently gassing for in the amps department. I am not a fan of Egnater...I find it's tone is just really nothing special in comparrison with the other amps listed but it is about half the price of the others you listed. I have no experiance with Splawn. I love VHT'S. Such a nice tone and they can do a pretty wide variety of stuff. I am also not very fimiliar with Diezel since they cost like $4k and don't personally know anyone who can afford one. Also you may want to look at Blackstar amps. They can do everything on your list and they are well priced.

• Members

It took me 8 years to buckle down and save up to pay cash for a used Diezel Herbert. Best investment so far along with my Mesa Strategy 500 power amp.
You should definitely try one before you buy one but it's the most versatile head i've ever played. With the Mid-cut on it's a hard rock/metal beast but if you turn it off it can do classic rock perfectly. Throw in a nice OD pedal for low gain stuff (i'll be getting a OCD) and you can cover anything with 2 high gain channels and a clean channel.. unless you want to use channel 2 for low gain on the minus setting which sounds great.
Here are some clips:
PRS Singlecut with Duncan JB
http://netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=10584

http://netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=10524

Strat with humbuckers

P-90 '67 SG Special

Low tuning semi-scooped tone on a PRS Standard 24

• Members
I like classic rock, metal, speed, thrash, blues...everything you all like. I currently have a Mesa Dual Rec 3 chnl head thru a 4x12 cab but I've grown tired of it. I've got Les Pauls/Strats/Jacksons/Deans to play with and I want an amp to make them all sound awesome.

I'm impressed with the Marshall JVM 410 and its versatility but I'd appreciate some feedback from y'all regarding your experience with ENGL, Egnater, Splawn, VHT, Diezel, etc.

I see no love for the Orange :cry:

• Members

Dude, it took me two years of trying out different amps on a weekly basis to shape my preferences in tone and find the holy grail. Forum opinion is not going to be much of help to you. All of those amps are nice - it's really a preference thing.

• Members

"I played the jvm410 and liked it"

There's your answer.

That being said, for those tones, I prefer the Splawn route, but lots of people really like their jvm.

Let me help save you a {censored}load of money: THERE IS NO "HOLY GRAIL".

• Members

Get a mako mak4 and call it a day. You wont ever need anything else.

However, this is very true. If you like the dry/tight while still saturated thing, this is going to be the best option.

And the mak4 used + a poweramp is still a damn site less than a new jvm.

• Members

However, this is very true. If you like the dry/tight while still saturated thing, this is going to be the best option.

And the mak4 used + a poweramp is still a damn site less than a new jvm.

I'm intrigued by the Mak4. However, a Used JVM in excellent condition can be had for $1050-1100.

• Members

This is true.

And Raf's mak4 + artSLA2 cost $1,000.

This.

Even buying a brand new rack case, Im at 1150...

The nice thing is, it doesnt do 1 thing well, it does EVERYTHING and it does it all VERY well. Probably the most versatile thing Ive ever played, next to a sig:x, but the mako is MUCH simpler than the sig:x.

• Members

How about..Mak4 slaved to JVM poweramp?

Try it, see how it works out!! It sounded amazeballs through the titan power amp, which is what sold me on the amp, but when I played it through the 6505+ power amp I was less than impressed. I actually liked it better through the bass head power amp that I was using than through the 6505+. However, so far, my favorite has been through the art SLA-2 power amp that I have now. Sounds so badass in every way. The nice thing, too, is that the clean channel is actually a {censored}ing clean channel lol....something I havent really had since my carvin mts3200 and my JSX...but this one is better. I know people say that its a dark clean channel, but I think it works out better that way at volume, cuz you arent slicing any ones ears off with ice picks lol. Some people say that the dorado channel doesnt have enough low end, I dont have that problem at all. For me, its a little more than I need, but the tones are {censored}ing PERFECT, IMO.

• Members

I'm intrigued by the Mak4. However, a Used JVM in excellent condition can be had for $1050-1100.

yet won't sound as good.

Trust me the JVM IS a good sounding amp but the channels all more or less sound exactly the same only with different amounts of gain. the different channels of the MAK4 all sound and FEEL different.

The clean channel is massive with tons of headroom. the crunch channel is thick and spongy but not muddy and SCARY close sounding to my JTM45 I had, the makoplex channel is the traditional JCM800~ish high gain marshally arena rock channel and the dorado channel is tighter, less compressed and TOOOOONS of gain.

• Members

Marshall JVM...Versitle, but you have to dig the Marshall vibe, sounds like you do.

Egnater Tourmaster...Very vesitile, can cover everything (with exception of "brutal" stuff). Can be had cheap (around $800 used) and sounds better than most give it credit for.

Mesa Marks...just really good amps and versitile. If you liked the recto, you may love the Mesa marks.

Diezel VH4...Unbelievable amp, but too dry and compressed for some. Very versitile, but an acquired taste is you are partial to more traditionally voiced amps.

I never met an ENGL I really liked, with the exception of the Blackmore...And it's not very versitile.

You may also want to give the Peavey JSX a spin and put it in the running.

...Just my opinion.

• Members

I like classic rock, metal,
speed
, thrash, blues...everything you all like. I currently have a Mesa Dual Rec 3 chnl head thru a 4x12 cab but I've grown tired of it. I've got Les Pauls/Strats/Jacksons/Deans to play with and I want an amp to make them all sound awesome.

I would never do that {censored}. I heard it can induce heart attacks.

Archived