Making my own guitar, any tips?

terryd5150

• Members

I've gotten most of the parts to make my "dream guitar".

Is there anything I need to keep on eye out for while/after I assemble it or any tricks that might make the whole process easier?

:wave:

Nah, none whatsoever, guitars are like hot dogs...slap one on a bun and go!

(kidding a bit, roughly 10million words have been written on HC describing the intricacy of this process...today!)

See stewmack.com and several good books at Amazon

• Members

Wax you screws before you try and screw them into the guitar body or neck. If you don't put some wax on the threads you will run a real good risk of breaking a screw. The wax acts as a lubricant so that the screw doesn't break. This is especially important with the neck screws that mount the neck to the body.

Max

• Members

How bout a little more info - what style guitar, what parts, what kind of tunes you want to play with this thing

It's a Strat, the parts aren't really the issue. I know what I want the guitar to do, and the parts I have will make that happen.

I was looking more for assembly advice.

I wanted to build this guitar myself because I'm so damn picky when it comes to stuff (I want "X" pick-ups wired in such-and-such way, I want "this" nut and "these" tuners, I want a body with "this" finish made of "this" wood, I like "this" type of neck, etc.).

If I bought a custom shop guitar I would still end up changing a lot of the {censored} around, so I figured I'd just make my own. After buying every piece I needed from scratch I had about as much in parts as I would have buying a custom shop version, but if I bought a custom I'd still have to spend the $$ to hot rod it the way I want.

The guitar will kinda be a shred machine- if that makes sense, although I also play bluegrass, country, and blues as well. I know that sounds like a f_cked up combination but somehow it all turns out alright.:)

The purpose of this axe is to do some studio recording. I'm getting ready to record a CD that will be released on an independent label next year.

:thu:

• Members

Wax you screws before you try and screw them into the guitar body or neck. If you don't put some wax on the threads you will run a real good risk of breaking a screw. The wax acts as a lubricant so that the screw doesn't break. This is especially important with the neck screws that mount the neck to the body.

Max

Thanks for the advice. I never thought of that.

Is there a particular kind of wax that is best suited for this application?

I will use this one for sure.

• Members

I just grab a candle and rub the threads on the candle. I do try to avoid colored candles.

Another tip is to install both E strings when bolting up the neck. The two outside strings will act as a guide so you can make sure the neck is aligned properly.

Max

• Members

Ivory soap words too if you don't have some wax handy.

Another screw tip ... use the correct size screwdriver for the screw your using.

And don't use an old beat up one either. A good assorment of quality screwdrivers is recommended.

• Members

A bar of soap works for this too. I've busted off several neck screws until I started using wax/soap. I just grab any old candle or DRY bar of soap. Works like a charm.

Archived