JVM vs JCM 800

Disco Cat

• Members
Why? I am fairly critical over what I hear. Remember I just returned a Bogner Ecstasy because I thought it sounded pretty rubbish actually. I know what I like my amps to sound like.

Ok, the original tone stack structure. That isn't factoring in the myriad other things that contribute to the overall tone.

No offended intended but this means nothing. The amps are constructed/designed very differently.

Aren't the pots on the JVM circuit board mounted for a kick off? I know they have a spongy feeling to them if you move them. I'd hate to accidentally break one off...

I've never been impressed by production Bogners, but i have heard a couple really good Bogner modded Marshalls.:cop:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sold my JVM.

to compressed, like it has a TS on all the time.. and set wrong.. very frustrating not being able to turn it off :confused:

I like the post 86 2205/2210's :love:

My back and car prefer the Blackstar HT40.

2 failed bands this year tell no lies :facepalm:

basically, singers :mad:

Hey, I need to work on my singing :idea:

• Members

How come those rather than the early 80's models.

More gain, I can run my 2205 without a boost, and it sounds great especially cranked a bit.

I use an OCD with my 2203 to get the same amount of distortion.

strangely to get the tone I like with the HT40 I back the gain off to "crunchy" and use the OCD.

I like the OCD, in fact seems I have OCD :lol:

• Members

Because, when they are playing live, they have to play songs from before endgame.

These songs (the pre-endgame ones) were not recorded using a Marshall JVM

So to get the tones more accurately, he uses the DigiTech pre-amp to get as close to the sound of all of his previous recordings as possible.

He has also used line 6...in the studio.

• Members

For basic Marshall 101 CRANKED TONE and playing out (where i can crank the bitch) i would take the 800, how can you go wrong with a Marshall 800 and boost? SRSLY u cant! Even i might sound listenable with that setup :lol:

For midi, versatility and a clean channel (if really needed) i would take the JVM, however the amp is really compressed, its a great amp but i wish it would 'breath' a lil more (can a mod take off some of that compression, not all of it but some?) The master volume on the JVM is really good though

:cool:

• Members

The JVM is a beast, if I owned a JVM I wouldn't consider trading it for {censored}.

This. I don't even play guitar (these days) and I have one and won't get rid of it. I let one of the guitar players in my band play through it though.

JVM410H + Greenbacks = TOANE!

• Members

I would take the 800 over the JVM also. It sounds allot fuller. That being said the two Laney's I have (GH100L and AOR 50) both drown out my other guitar players JCM 800 2205. Laney's are {censored}ing huge sounding.

Totally agree, I'm big into the Laneys and i'd always take a GH50l over an 800.

• Members

Because, when they are playing live, they have to play songs from before endgame.

These songs (the pre-endgame ones) were not recorded using a Marshall JVM

So to get the tones more accurately, he uses the DigiTech pre-amp to get as close to the sound of all of his previous recordings as possible.

Hmm...interesting but what is YOUR experience with these amps? What's that? Oh. Never mind then.

• Members

I would take the 800 over the JVM also. It sounds allot fuller. That being said the two Laney's I have (GH100L and AOR 50) both drown out my other guitar players JCM 800 2205. Laney's are fucking huge sounding.

I agree that Laneys are great amps and a real bargain, but if you are drowning out the other guitar player you need to turn that shit down! :cop:

• Members

easy tiger

No worries. That's what passes for rhetorical discourse in Guitarist+'s world.

Anyways, it is just silly to argue which is better when you have actually owned/extensively used NEITHER. Hell, by that argument get the {censored}ing Crate since that is what Cannibal Corpse used in the studio!

Oh, and my vote goes to a 2-channel JCM800. Favorite lead tone evah!

• Members

No worries. That's what passes for rhetorical discourse in Guitarist+'s world.

Anyways, it is just silly to argue which is better when you have actually owned/extensively used NEITHER. Hell, by that argument get the {censored}ing Crate since that is what Cannibal Corpse used in the studio!

Oh, and my vote goes to a 2-channel JCM800. Favorite lead tone evah!

Look, that guy said that Megadeth uses the JCM800.

I was just saying that that is false

• Members

I used to always look for amps with multiple channels for every possible sound, and effects loops so I could have chorus and delay, and was always dissatisfied. It wasn't until I played the simpler Marshalls (4 holers, and single channel JTM/JCM's) that I realized I don't want every sound - I want the classic Marshall sound. :rawk:

For me the Marshall sound comes from a certain simple type of circuit where the preamp and the power amp have a powerful interaction. Heck - even the master volume on the JCM amps interferes with it as far as I'm concerned, but it's a useful compromise to get some more gain. I feel the same way about FX loops - they go right where the magic happens and can screw things up.

I've played a bunch of amps - not as many as some - but I've never heard a multi channel FX loop equipped that had that Marshall sound I crave. (even the ones that say Marshall on the front). These amps get their tone in the pre-amp and feed it into a power amp that's chillin. It's a legitimate way to do things, but in the end there's a preamp/power amp interaction that doesn't duplicate the classic Marshall circuits.

Both amps have good sounds in them, and most audience members could give a crap which one is used.

It just comes down to personal preference. I could rock either amp, but would pick the simpler one given a choice.

• Members

Look, that guy said that Megadeth uses the JCM800.

I was just saying that that is false

Yeah, but back in the day when they were worth a {censored} they did.

Plus, unless you've got extensive experience playing and gigging Marshalls you really don't know {censored} about them. Real Marshall amps aren't wanking amps. They're pretty much only good for gigging. The JVM from my experience is a good amp but it was built to chase recorded tones, not tones that are optimal in a band setting IMO. The noise floor is atrocious too.

Archived