JVM vs JCM 800

Disco Cat

• Members

I have some YouTube videos up of both the jvm205 and jcm 800. Same user name as here. Fwiw I like the 800 a lot better. It's something you have to be in the room/ in the band mix to really hear and feel the difference while playing. I use various boosts for slightly different flavor and added gain levels. One place the jvm has the old 800's beat is the master volume is much more usable. Still I only use my rig with my band so doesn't really bother me. I had a 410 a one point too.... like the 800 better still.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

{censored}ing this x 1,000,000,00,00,00,0,0,0010101101110

Too many amps suffer from this nowadays.

Funnily enough, myself and Timmyfirst were saying the EXACT same thing the other day.

They are aiming to recreate recorded tones...

This is the issue I have with the AFD100 for example...

Amps shouldn't sound like recorded tones.

They should be raw.

It's why a Plexi sits beautifully in a mix, whereas most modern high gainers need a bit of tweaking and eq'ing etc etc to get them even half way there.

• Members

Well gentlemen, let me know if you spot an '81 - '84 2203 for a good price, or one that's willing to be traded for a 410h. I spotted a promising '82 one in Texas for $800, but the guy doesn't trust payment over distance.

I could build you one... :)

I'm actually going to mod my Plexi clone so that the bright channel stays plexi and the normal channel is a 2203. It won't be footswitchable but it'll be cool as hell. I'm already running mostly 2203 values for stuff like the NFB resistor and whatnot. Should sound epic.

I heard a crap recording of my buddies band playing with him on my Plexi and it sounded huge and sat in the mix really well. Hard rock style music. Plexi cranked up and lightly boosted with a TS knockoff.

• Members

I thought about a kit, but how true to the original would it be, and with the original amps supposedly varying between each other from great to meh, how could you be sure of a satisfying result?

The original amps changed quite a bit from year to year but all the changes are fairly small. Usually different levels of filtering and split vs. shared cathode and whatnot. The real rock-n-roll plexi's are the '68, '69, and the metal face JMP's of the early 70's. The amps varied alot because Marshall used alot of surplus caps and resistors and sometimes the values would drift or be outright different. Then there's the whole horizontal vs. single input 2203 thing.

That being said, you find a guy like George Metropolous who owns a bunch of old plexi's and has built several versions of each and you build based on the layouts and specs you get from them. The circuit didn't change much so you can try different things really easy.

I'm running a mostly stock amp but I did tweak some values in the tonestack to change the voicing a bit.

PM me if you ever want to look into a kit. I scratch built my Plexi and sourced everything myself but were I to do it over I'd just get a Ceriatone kit and call it good. Nik does great work and the components are top notch. The really hard part of building an amp is routing and lead dress so you don't have a noisy mess when you're done. That's all pretty easy to get down if you're willing to learn a bit of theory.

I'm building a Jubilee clone for a friend. I ended up getting the board and chassis from Ceriatone so everything would fit. I also got the bulk of the parts that way because it's much cheaper but I'm going to source the transformers and choke and a headshell myself.

• Members

I haven't played either amp; I just popped in here to comment that it's interesting to see so much love for the to channel 800s. Wasn't there a time when those were reviled for having diode clipping in the gain channel's circuit -- nevermind what the purists thought about the addition of an fx loop?

So, yeah ... interesting.

• Members

I haven't played either amp; I just popped in here to comment that it's interesting to see so much love for the to channel 800s. Wasn't there a time when those were reviled for having diode clipping in the gain channel's circuit -- nevermind what the purists thought about the addition of an fx loop?

So, yeah ... interesting.

Spot on there is a diode in there

there's also channel bleed through on some models (the pre 86ers I think) I have v2 tube pulled out, never use the normal channel (it's {censored})

It's not a perfect amp,

oh and reverb forgot it has spring reverb !!

I allways think "like a diode in any boost pedal".

It's like, who cares :rawk:

• Members

Well gentlemen, let me know if you spot an '81 - '84 2203 for a good price, or one that's willing to be traded for a 410h. I spotted a promising '82 one in Texas for $800, but the guy doesn't trust payment over distance.

Just a tip, the 2204s are a lot more common and usually sell for significantly less than the 2203s. Tonally the 2204s I've found are a bit punchier and the volume difference is so minuscule it's a non-issue when you have them cranked up.

• Members

If I were ever to get a Marshall again, it'd be a 2203 or 2204. They sound fan-{censored}ing-tastic (I played one through the OS 100 Watt cab with Greenbacks they made for the Hendrix stack and it was heaven) and they take boosts well, which in my case would be a TS-9 or RC Boost, depending on what I wanted. I've got no issue with the JVM, but sometimes less is more, and in the case of Marshalls, less is definitely more.

• Members

Spot on there is a diode in there

there's also channel bleed through on some models (the pre 86ers I think) I have v2 tube pulled out, never use the normal channel (it's {censored})

It's not a perfect amp,

oh and reverb forgot it has spring reverb !!

I allways think "like a diode in any boost pedal".

It's like, who cares
:rawk:

Ya, mang -- I wasn't trying to slam on the 2 channel 800s. Not at all. I just remember a time when a lot of folks seemed to, is all. I'd rock one if I got the chance. :thu:

• Members

I'd never sell my '81 that cheap. It's the foundation of my sound.

I let my 2203 rest for a year and used a Modded JVM (circuitry tweaks and Mercury Magnetics OT) during that time. It sounded just fine. I would have not sold the JVM if I didn't plug into my 2203 for the hell of it and realized what I had been missing.

The feel and presence of the 2203 just beats the JVM. The bite is unbelievable and the JVM just does not have that bite.

Archived