DAW migration/migraine.. and the great payoff.

newholland

• Members

all i can say is, anybody who's had to go to a new machine with a passel of beloved plugins can probably feel my pain.

going from x86 to x64 to a way newer machine is awesome.. but DAMN... between getting a compatible firewire card (i had to try 3.. ), dealing with 32/64 bit plugin compatibility, negotiating the crazy array of possibilities between mobos and all that biz.. it's just a {censored}heap o' work!

anyhow.. all that lived through... going to a desktop jammed fulla RAM and an i5.. glorious.

i can NOT wait to sit down to mix this weekend. my poor 8 year old toshiba laptop was such a bottleneck... i can't wait to whomp on the new machine with a totally impractical array of VSTs on a mix just to say i CAN :D

anybody else ever have long nightmarish migration stories, or does it pretty much ALWAYS eat your brain for a week getting it done :D

• Members

Moved to PT. Even with a wrapper it hated VST's. Sonar X1 works just fine. I heard PT9 works better for that, but we'll see.

Originally was going to dual boot, but built a second system just for PT. I'll dump LE and put PT9 and cross my fingers. I'm sure the host of VST's and old stuff like Bandstand etc won't run on the new computer. I hope my waves bundle does. That cost more than the pc builds.

I just bought a cool bundle of PT9 and new Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56. Should be waiting for me at home when I get back from WA next Tues..

I just hope the {censored} is plug and play. I can't stand dealing with the computer issues for daws. That's when I get out my Roland 2480, record simul tracks/monitor (in real time with no latency) and problem free loaded with card plugs and say to myself... wtf were you thinking moving from hardware.

• Members

I should be doing this later this month. I will be going from an Athlon X2, 32-bit XP based machine to probably a Phenom II X4 on an AM3+ board with 16GB RAM to load all the virtual instruments I want. :mad: I intend to be judicious about what I install though. I have a lot of VSTs I installed just to try that I never use. I am looking forward to decluttering.

Oh, and I am making the move from my ancient Cubase SX3 to Reaper.

• Members

Ive been trying the whole DIY approach since 98 or so, when it was way more of a pain than it is now. I went thru so much effort for years just trying to get a decent machine.

Finally got a working machine about 7 years ago. I havent even thought of moving, but i know the time will be coming soon, and im sure most of the plugs ive bought prolly wont be compatible. But most stock plugs are pretty decent nowadays, so i probably wont be such a plugin freak like i was in the past.

Ftr, im still running Cubase SX2, and mastering in Wavelab 5. So u can see how little i look forward to switching machines!!

• Members
I should be doing this later this month. I will be going from an Athlon X2, 32-bit XP based machine to probably a Phenom II X4 on an AM3+ board with 16GB RAM to load all the virtual instruments I want.
:mad:
I intend to be judicious about what I install though. I have a lot of VSTs I installed just to try that I never use. I am looking forward to decluttering.

Oh, and I am making the move from my ancient Cubase SX3 to Reaper.

I have just moved back, I much prefer cubase

• Members

Dan, what software u runnin?

I'm about
this close
to pullin the trigger on a ProTools rig. I have two buddies that have extensive experience with ProTools so I'm going to leverage their knowledge. We'll see.

i'm rockin reaper x64. I'm sure protools is badass-- but with minimal the way i work, reaper is fantastic, and the latest update is fantastic, and lets me run all my 32 bit plugins!

• Members

I had a lot of "fun" when upgrading to a 64-bit system with my favorite (commercial!) plug-ins. Good thing I'm also a software development guy, which allowed me to iron out the worst issues, but there's a reason I have both Cubase 5 32-bit and Cubase 5 64-bit installed, some stuff just will *not* work correctly in a 64-bit host.

• Members

You know what the punchline is. It's hardly noticeable speed wise. What a {censored}in load of {censored} 64 bit computing is. Maybe 5-10% faster at very best.

A lot of cash for so little improvement.

I'm sure there are benchmarks etc that will prove me wrong, but general real world experience I'm not feeling it in music production.

Maybe the software companies have added enough bloat to the code to render the extra memory useless.

• Members

You know what the punchline is. It's hardly noticeable speed wise. What a {censored}in load of {censored} 64 bit computing is. Maybe 5-10% faster at very best.

If this surprises you in any way, you did NOT do your research. 64-bit computing is not about speed, it's about breaking the physical 4GB addressing limit of 32-bit computing. The only reason to go 64-bit is if you need more than 4GB addressable memory.

• Members

Incorrect.

I was slightly unclear - that article is talking about 64-bit architectures, I was talking about 64-bit operating systems on top of those 64-bit architectures. You use the 64bit OS if you want more than 4GB addressable (because PAE is not well-supported), but the new 64-bit processor architectures are definitely better than the old ones, especially the extra general-purpose registers.

• Members

hm. haven't noticed any large disasters or gains speedwise, and certainly not stability wise. plugins bridge automatically from 32 to 64 in reaper, and the i5 is so much faster in every way than my 2004 toshiba laptop, that it's ALL faster to me... :D

frankly.. i'm tickled.. but you guys can argue about speed if y' want.. :D

Archived