NES geeks: Are you sitting on rare games?

Ovid9

• Members

Linky

Thought this was a cool little article. I'm not a collector. I have a few NES & SNES games I've bought over the years, but I like to play games more than pay insane prices for them to just sit around.

I do still kick myself on not picking up the copy of "Ogre Battle" when my local video store was selling it years ago. And not keeping the creepy religious games I had as a kid. Nothing like calling down fire from heaven on your enemies!

Now to get my NES/SNES fix I use emulators, but damn so many fun memories wasting time with friends. Holding the other control to have the "super jump" cheat in Mega Man 3. Playing as the bird in 8 Eyes (stupid bird!) Getting beat down by King Hippo cause I was incompetent. Cursing Kid Icarus for being stupidly hard. Cursing Battle Toads for being even harder.

Ahhh, memories.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

{censored}ing Top Gun.

Still scared from that
:mad:

*Shameful secret*

I never once, NOT ONE FREAKING TIME successfully landed the plane after a mission. My friends had to do it. I was kick ass in the air, but landing, I'd come up short, I'd overshoot. :mad::cry:

• Members

*Shameful secret*

I never once, NOT ONE FREAKING TIME successfully landed the plane after a mission. My friends had to do it. I was kick ass in the air, but landing, I'd come up short, I'd overshoot.
:mad::cry:

I've successfully land the first time, but the next ones I'd fail. Heck, the 3rd stage where you'd need to refuel I fail too, and I could just never land it right. {censored}ers! :mad:

• Members

Thought this was a cool little article. I'm not a collector. I have a few NES & SNES games I've bought over the years, but I like to play games more than pay insane prices for them to just sit around.

I do still kick myself on not picking up the copy of "Ogre Battle" when my local video store was selling it years ago. And not keeping the creepy religious games I had as a kid. Nothing like calling down fire from heaven on your enemies!

Now to get my NES/SNES fix I use emulators, but damn so many fun memories wasting time with friends. Holding the other control to have the "super jump" cheat in Mega Man 3. Playing as the bird in 8 Eyes (stupid bird!) Getting beat down by King Hippo cause I was incompetent. Cursing Kid Icarus for being stupidly hard.
Cursing Battle Toads for being even harder

Ahhh, memories.

You don't still happen to have Battletoads do you?

• Members

*Shameful secret*

I never once, NOT ONE FREAKING TIME successfully landed the plane after a mission. My friends had to do it. I was kick ass in the air, but landing, I'd come up short, I'd overshoot.
:mad::cry:

[video=youtube;ofM11nPzFo0]

AVGN is pretty famous by gaming standards now but i think you'll like this one if you've not heard of this guy before. His site cinemassacre is pretty cool, all the episodes are there.

• Members

Air Fortress... first iteration is a gamut of 8 space fortresses you must defeat. the goal in each stage (fortress) you must:

1) make it through the air infiltration into the fortress

2) survive inside with the incredibly difficult enemies that come at all different angles.

3) destroy the core reactor

4) make it back out in time (while fighting back through all the bastard enemies you just fought) before the fortress asplodes and kills you

after you defeat the first 8, there is a second set of 8. i made it to the second set of fortresses and to the 6th fortress of that iteration. literally nearly {censored}ing IM-POSS-IBLE to beat that {censored}.

oh yea, and Batman was retardedly hard too. the only thing worse than the ridiculously hard enemies they threw in each level, pretty much ANYTHING (background objects, too) that moved hurt you....

• Members

wasnt that what star fox was eventually based off of? i vaguely remember it, and getting my ass kicked in it. at the time i accepted it though. like back then it wasnt necessary to beat the game, that was sort of a lofty goal.

i have the emulator with the game. haven't played it since i was 9 years old though out of pure intimidation :lol:

maybe i'll give it a shot when i get off work in a few hours

• Members

The only rarity I had in my collection was Putty Squad on the Amiga. I had a copy from someone who worked from the magazines back in the day. Sadly the disk box went to the dump and I only found years later that it was pretty damn sought after. I wish I had kept it, as a game it was pretty OK as far as I remember. It's only sought after as it was reviewed in a magazine but never released.

• Members

AVGN is pretty famous by gaming standards now but i think you'll like this one if you've not heard of this guy before. His site cinemassacre is pretty cool, all the episodes are there.

First thing that came to mind when I saw the link in the first post was the newest episode

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry-video-screwattack/719815

• Members

Man Ogre Battle is such a {censored}ing awesome game....

It is!!! It gets lots of play time on my emulator. There's a lot more too it then it seems on the surface. Like, if you just try and level up a few people, you'll get slaughtered. And there's tons of special items and variant storylines depending on what items you find when.

Archived