Calling all HCAF amp gurus,....I got a problem,...

Cibyl

• Members

I had this issue on my AD30 and it was an internal fuse. I know, not much help but good luck with getting it back up to speed
:thu:

Can't find anymore fuses. The HT and the other one (I'm assuming the slow-blow) have been swapped out. Nothing looks burnt or charred on the inside,...looks good. Gonna try another set of power tubes.

• Members

I thought OP mentioned swapping all of the tubes and fuses?

He said he changed "the tubes and fuses". But then later he mentioned changing all the preamp tubes. Why mention that if he already did it? That lead me to believe that op only changed pre's since he didn't specifically mention power's.

He's also not responded to either inquiry. :cop:

• Members

How long have you had the amp? It could have a habit of blowing fuses. My Mako does that, there's nothing wrong with the amp but it blows the mains fuse occasionally when I turn it on.

You could probably fix that easy enough using a big capacitor to buffer the supply.

• Members

How long have you had the amp? It could have a habit of blowing fuses. My Mako does that, there's nothing wrong with the amp but it blows the mains fuse occasionally when I turn it on.

If your Mako is occasionally blowing fuses, something isn't right. Either you're using the wrong sized fuze, or there's something shorting internally. Fuses don't "burn out" like lightbulbs do.

• Members

If your Mako is occasionally blowing fuses, something isn't right. Either you're using the wrong sized fuze, or there's something shorting internally. Fuses don't "burn out" like lightbulbs do.

Could be enough current fluctuation in the amp on startup to pop the fuse. Especially if he's using fast blo fuses.

• Members

Could be enough current fluctuation in the amp on startup to pop the fuse. Especially if he's using fast blo fuses.

Yeah I contacted Andrew about it and he said I could just use higher rated fuses. But since I have a box of like 20 of these I haven't done that yet. It's not like it does that all the time, maybe once 2-3 months.

• Members

Are you sure one of your bandmates or worse, one of your bandmate's friends wasn't messing with your amp? I've left my amp on standby before for sure, but not power on and standby on. Could it be someone was trying to use your amp and had it cranked without a speaker load?

• Members

Bought the amp brand new 2 1/2 years ago. Never had an issue with it, rock solid, awesome amp.

Tried a different set of power tubes, no luck. Fuses are all good, nothing burnt or charred on the inside,....looks clean. I'll email Bad Cat tomorrow.

• Members

Are you sure one of your bandmates or worse, one of your bandmate's friends wasn't messing with your amp? I've left my amp on standby before for sure, but not power on and standby on. Could it be someone was trying to use your amp and had it cranked without a speaker load?

No chance. My band room is in my house -- none of my band mates would have been messing with it.

Archived