Any experience with Agile guitars here?

soilent

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have one of the original LP2500s back from before Gibson went after them. Awesome guitar. Worth way more than the $200 I paid for it.

This on those models. I've had mine for about 8 years. Definitely needs a pickup swap, but other than that, VERY solid guitar.

• Members

The first one was in '04, Agile Les Paul copy. This one was fine, but it just sounded horrible. I upgraded the pickups to SD Seth Lovers and it didn't help much. The second one was in '06, SX Tele, that one came with the stripped truss rod. The last one was in '09, Agile LP copy with floyd rose. The locking nut was so sunk into the neck slot the guitar was completely unplayable. So that was 3 guitars in a 5 year period. I really wanted them to be decent, I like cheap guitars and the features were nice, but unfortunately it did not work for me. It could be just my luck, but I am not risking it again.

That's just my experience. YMMV. Kurt is a good guy to work with though.

• Members

I have an early AL-2000 (pre-lawsuit headstock), and it plays really damn good. I gig with it from time to time and have never had a problem with it. I am, however, doing a complete hardware and wiring upgrade to get it up to better standards, but right out of the box they are very decent guitars.

• Members

I have an early AL-2800 with pre-lawsuit headstock and horn. It's a heavy beast. It stays in tune well and the neck and feel were very nice. The frets were smooth and well dressed. No setup issues. I put a 59 in the neck and a custom custom in the bridge, replaced the pots and wiring with high quality pots and it's a good solid LP guitar. So much so, that for the little that I use an LP it does the trick. I've played some Les Paul Standards that didn't sound or play as well. Your mileage may vary and all that, but it will hold up to at least the Epiphones and some of the bottom of the barrel LP's imo. Well worth the $450 or so I have in it.

• Members

I love them. So far I've had 2 (a Septor Pro 627 and a Hornet Pro 725) and both were/are great guitars. They feel way better than their price tag... Fast necks, good finishes, excellent features, and an even better price.

Did the Septor Pro have the Cepheus actives in it? I'm very curious about those pick ups as I've never heard of them. How do they compare to an EMG 81? What was a 27" scale like for you? I'm very interested in an extended scale like that for drop A tuning and I'm not crazy about 7 strings.

• Members

There are a lot of guys on the sevenstring forum that has/had them. Somewhat mixed reviews but as pointed out already, everyone says that the customer service is excellent, i.e. if you don't like it, send it back. FWIW, I just bought a 7 string cause I was sick of fighting a 6 string to play in drop A. It just doesn't make sense to me to try to force a guitar to do what it wasn't intended to do. That said, I didn't try an extended scale length, which would make a huge difference, I'd assume.

• Members

I have a seven string Septor Elite. It looks great, plays great, and has great parts. Probably the best bang for the buck gear purchase I've ever made. I hear they're very hit or miss though. If you buy one you have to do it knowing that you may have to send 1 or 2 back before you get a good one.

• Members

How do the Agiles compare to Ibanez Prestiges? I barely play metal anymore, but out of all the "metal" guitars I've owned, the prestiges have the slimmest necks with the best sustain.

I would take an agile over ALMOST any Ibanez, BUT I really dislike Ibanez. I know that the prestige is a better built guitar, and prolly better parts and QC, but still, I can't cope with most ibbys. Their neck might be extra thin, but it's too flat for my taste, However, I do love Jackson/Charvel Necks...

The Agile's neck is more inbetween theJackso/Charvel and the ESP/LTD (in terms of chunkiness)

• Members

well, the Septor Pro is the one I have right now, and it's pretty sick the 27" neck is pure sex. It does the Cepheus pups as for right now, and before I got it I was planning on putting blackouts there, but I really find no need to do it, they sound pretty good, but i haven't compared them side by side to my emgs (85/81).

I really prefer the 27" neck over a 7 string neck (too fat). I just didn't bond with my 7

That's good to hear because I'm greatly considering a 627. How is the extra length for you though? Does it hold lower tunings much better? Is there a big difference in feel with the longer scale?

Archived