In praise of LESS gain

EricJohn

• Members

So I've had this Mesa Stiletto for a few weeks now and of course I went right for the kill with the fluid drive on channel two. Of course it's amazing. But lately I've set channel 1 up for a nice clean and channel 2 set to crunch. That's where that classic AC/DC, Van Halen and Kiss tones are. Very sweet stuff.

• Members

I try to use as little gain as I can get away with...but death metal does call for moderate amounts of it. Not quite the gobs of it that people usually guess, but still a semi-decent amount and a little more than I'd use if it were up to me.

• Members

Also, TLIPPING isn't a word...

Also, to the poster that remarked about 20% less gain for the studio, I would actually switch that round.

Providing you are not using too much live, I think you can get away with more when recording.

Sometimes that has to be the case anyway.

• Members
Also, TLIPPING isn't a word...

Also, to the poster that remarked about 20% less gain for the studio, I would actually switch that round.

Providing you are not using too much live, I think you can get away with more when recording.

Sometimes that has to be the case anyway.

for me, everytime i record with live settings, it sound WAY gainer than i want. ymmv :idk:

• Members

for me, everytime i record with live settings, it sound WAY gainer than i want. ymmv
:idk:

Its entirely circumstantial; depends on every part of the signal path and the player and style. I've gained higher for rock and blues than it would have been live, and lower for death metal, and the other way round. If youre gonna pick a rule, which you shouldnt, lower gain is more likely to be better.

• Members

weird that we call it "gain" in the first place, instead of clipping. but a knob that says "clipping" on it wouldnt be as hot.

Well, since gain describes the increase of signal, and clipping is the result of the increase in signal, I think it's pretty accurate. But I'm not an electronics engineer. :idk:

• Members
Well, since gain describes the increase of signal, and clipping is the result of the increase in signal, I think it's pretty accurate. But I'm not an electronics engineer.
:idk:

yeah, i know, but there are some grey areas. as in, once you clip enough, adding gain to the signal only clips harder, not louder. so at that point your not actually "gaining" anything. but you ARE correct. its just that when WE talk about it, we're talking about how much clipping we are using, or "distortion" which has become an ugly term, specifically.

just tired at work, man. :thu:

Archived