Beer Knurds ....Beer perfection...... I have tasted it tonight.

mhenson42

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Holy {censored}! Look at that bottle! How much is that Sammy? Never heard of it....

They cost over $200 for the bottle. Drank some beers with a Sam Adams rep tonight, so he gets a bottle free every year. killer beer. I'm definitely buying a bottle next time they are out.

• Members

Yeah. Utopius is more like a beer liquour. It wasn't carbonated, but tasted like a beer nonetheless. It is a bout 27%+ alcohol. The bottle is actually like the top half of a mini boiler/brew kettle. It looks like the kettle used in the brewery in Boston ( I have a picture of it somewhere - as I was there in June). The doors on the side slide open and closed revealing the picture of Sam Adams. I was skeptical about this beer. I had a chance to buy a bottle earlier this year but passed due to the price. Next time I won't. It will definitely last a while. Don't need to refrigerate or drink in a single sitting. One 22oz bottle will last for 11 - two oz. pours, which is perfect for this beer.

The 3 Floyds Dark Lord was the best beer I've ever had next to Goose Island Bourbon County. The mouth feel of it was perfect. Super thick, almost like a velvet milkshake. Didn't say on the bottle, but I'm guessing around 12-13% abv. Had it been aged in bourbon barrels, it would be the absolute #1 beer on the planet by far. I'm already watching several auctions on ebay. lol. I'm hoping to pick up a few bottles. 2010 is supposed to be a good year. lol.

• Members

We tried a bunch of stuff, the other notable beers were from Cigar City, which is a killer brewer in Florida. Next time we'll be sampling a Westvleteren12, which is like next to impossible to get. Not my favorite style of beer though, but I'm looking forward to tasting.

• Members

Three Floyds makes some incredible beers....of course you can't get them around here. Pride and Joy was my favorite when I lived in Virginia.

I'd like to try Utopias if a friend was handing it out, but I don't think I'd ever spring for a bottle.

• Members

We tried a bunch of stuff, the other notable beers were from Cigar City, which is a killer brewer in Florida. Next time we'll be sampling a Westvleteren12, which is like next to impossible to get. Not my favorite style of beer though, but I'm looking forward to tasting.

I got some Westvleteren in Brussels. I'm looking forward to trying one.

DSC_0059.jpg

Have you ever tried Baird Beer's Dark Sky Imperial Stout? It's my favourite stout to date.

• Members

If you are so into beer that you would spend $200 for a bottle of the stuff. You SERIOUSLY.....
....should get into making the stuff yourself.

Now these "beers" that are that high in alcohol content really taste more like cognac to me. To up the content THAT high you have to do some unnatural processes like freezing the beer to separate out alcohol, use wine yeast etc....at what point do you stop? Is it o.k. to distill it? When I make my own beer, I draw the line at natural fermentation. With that in mind, you probably can't get an alcohol content higher than 15% to 19% even using wine yeast. But they taste great and you can have 2 or 3 of them before you are totally drunk...unlike these 60 to 80 proof offerings.

Anyway the ingredients to make you 5 gallons of a nice 15% alcohol IPA (something like a strong Imperial Stout or Barley wine) will run you about 50 dollars....hell you could make 20 gallons of the stuff for the cost of ONE of those beers. It takes about 2 hours on the stove one night and maybe 6 months fermentation time. These days it's not hard at all with all of the homebrewing websites and info online.
Beware that it's a very fattening hobby.

Archived