Recommend me some Rum...

FearTheVoices

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Rum is a vile form of distilled spirits. It really doesn't have the sort of snob appeal of fine bourbon or scotch.

It's basically cane sugar that's been fermented and distilled. Your pursuit is more like trying to find the best fast food restaurant in New Orleans to use a culinary analogy.

• Members

Rum is a vile form of distilled spirits. It really doesn't have the sort of snob appeal of fine bourbon or scotch.

It's basically cane sugar that's been fermented and distilled. Your pursuit is more like trying to find the best fast food restaurant in New Orleans to use a culinary analogy.

You don't have to like it, but it's obvious you don't know {censored} about fine rum! Here is a link to what I think is the finest rum you can get. That price is in Euros. It was about 1/10 that price when I first tasted it:

http://www.rhum-clement.com/millesime-1952-44%C3%82%C2%B0-70cl-p-42.html

The best rums are made from fresh-pressed sugar-cane juice. It may be column or pot distilled. Distilled water is added to reduce alcohol content from 90% down to 40-50%. It is then put down in old Bourbon barrels that have been scraped clean and re-flamed to charcoal the inside. The crystal rum is placed in the barrels from 3 to 39 years where it picks up its classic caramel color as it ages and the charcoal filters out impurities. The rum in the link was put down in 1952 and bottled in 1991.

Every year the cane is different, resulting in very different tasting rums. However, as in any blending, rums of the same age but from different vintages can be blended together to create a consistent 6 year, 10 year or 15 year old rum for example. Additional blended rums can be created as a Cuvee, XO, VSOP, or Hors D'Age. Taste is the best guide, but it should be smooth, with definite caramel overtones (it is sugar liquor after all) and a smoky, but smooth finish, again with a hint of caramel. The GREAT rum distillers on Martinique create their rums the way their French brothers create Cognac, or, more similarly, Armagnac. Armagnac is the closest in taste to the best Old Rums.

Mixing Old Rum with anything but ice is like making a scotch sour with a fine single malt.

• Members

1148p.jpg

R.L. Seales Rum 10 years / From Barbados has the best bottle design. Yo-ho-ho!

I do like that! Traditional rum bottles were square so they could be stacked and used as ballast in the old sailing ships. They could get more bottles in the space (hence the "hole" in the bottom) and they wouldn't roll around. They'd stay in the ship a few years so the rolling of the ship would help age the rum.

• Members

I'm no rum snob by any stretch of the imagination, but 10 Cane Rum is some pretty tasty stuff and it won't cost you a semester of college for a bottle, FWIW.

10-cane-rom-40-70-cl.aspx.jpg

10 Cane, from Trinidad, has a nice flavor with a hint of sugar cane, lighter-bodied than molasses brews. I'm hitting on a bottle right now.

• Members

I'm not a rum snob, but I have sampled a couple hundred varieties. I'm not a fan of anything with a very strong distillate flavor, so my opinion varies greatly from the "experts". My personal favorite is a very mild and mellow rum from Aruba. Palmera makes a number of different rums, but I like the original dark rum. Unfortunately, you can't get that here and I can't bring enough back for myself and friends, even when I go there 3 or 4 times a year. If anyone here happens to go there and is willing to bring some back, I'll be happy to pay for it and give you any info you want about the island.

As for stuff that is readily available in the US, I really like Ron Barcelo or Myers if you're on a budget. I tend to drink my rum on the rocks or with some coconut water and a lime. When I do mix it with Coke, I tend to go coconut rum and again, the variety from Palmera is my favorite. It's very thick and needs to be stirred or shaken to mix. Coconut and coke is like crack,they go down way too easy and one leads to the next and the next and the next.

• Members

Cheap rum and fine rum are very different. Much like cheap tequila and good tequila.

• Members

Cuban rum is the best. You American guys may have some problems finding it though because of trade restrictions between the USA and Cuba

rum_havana_club_anejo7.jpg

Matusalem and Bacardi BOTH were originally Cuban rums, and as good as the Matusalem Grand Reserve is, it does not compare to Clement 10ans, 15ans, Cuvee, 1976, 1970 or 1952. It's about the equal of Clement 6ans. But Dillon 1978 (RIP, Dillon!) is far better as is St. James 1982 and 1979, and Trois Riviers 1979.

• Members

Got back from the local booze emporium. Bottle of 10 Cane followed me home. No particular reason. Eyeballed the Mount Gay and Meyers, but sorta rolled the dice in my head, and ended up with the 10 Cane. Going to for a walk for a couple hours, but will definitely report on what is sure to be a developing situation.

Archived