Blackstar Series One 104 6L6

Nerine

• Members

Good for nerine but I bet you would hate it if you liked your guitar sound and he tried to change it because it didn't fit in with his idea of good tone.

But blackstars are not {censored}, I call user error.

I am not even defending blackstar I am just saying blanket statements are stupid, as is saying a tone is bad when someone else may like it.

The thing is, with the economy being what it is at the moment, people have less disposable income and whatnot, and it's like, why settle for something that is below par.

As consumers we have the right to judge products and be critical about what products are entering the market as its ultimately us that will purchase them or not.

You can't just go round saying everything is ok. All that will breed is more products that are merely OK and not excellent.

In my opinion, the amp in question doesn't command

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The thing is, with the economy being what it is at the moment, people have less disposable income and whatnot, and it's like, why settle for something that is below par.

As consumers we have the right to judge products and be critical about what products are entering the market as its ultimately us that will purchase them or not.

You can't just go round saying everything is ok. All that will breed is more products that are merely OK and not excellent.

In my opinion, the amp in question doesn't command

• Members

I've been gigging with the S-1 200 . Had most of the high gain amps out there before this , even gigged with the snax for a year . I love the 200 , its what I wanted my engl se to be . Super crunch mode is great . It does Marshall stuff and modern tones which I need . I run it through a new Bogner 2x12 . I got the new HT-5R head for backup , that little head is awesome . Never treid the first version so I cant compare .

• Members

Good for nerine but I bet you would hate it if you liked your guitar sound and he tried to change it because it didn't fit in with his idea of good tone.

But blackstars are not {censored}, I call user error.

I am not even defending blackstar I am just saying blanket statements are stupid, as is saying a tone is bad when someone else may like it.

i put faith in my producer and any producer i work with would have to have faith in what i do too, the core tones on the new stuff shis on the old album already.

I dont think user error on a guitar amp is possible, if you turn the knobs and still hear total {censored} then that isnt user error, its a bad amp. User error would be plugging a guitar straight into a cab, turning knobs and dialling in a tone on a

• Members

I've been gigging with the S-1 200 . Had most of the high gain amps out there before this , even gigged with the snax for a year . I love the 200 , its what I wanted my engl se to be . Super crunch mode is great . It does Marshall stuff and modern tones which I need . I run it through a new Bogner 2x12 . I got the new HT-5R head for backup , that little head is awesome . Never treid the first version so I cant compare .

I feel the same way. It is not like I have owned shit in the past---well, I have. :lol:

I have also owned Orange, Marshall, Fender, Mesa, and Peavey amps and to my ears the Series One 200 does what I always wanted those amps to do... and then some. Even my bandmates commented on it after the first time I used it gigging earlier this year.

I have it loaded with Tung Sol 6550's and retubed it all the way so that may have something to do with it.

Regardless, for me, the BLackstar kills and is a FANTASTIC amp. It was the exact same price here in the States as the Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII I also owned for a while---maybe even a couple hundred less. I think it eats the Orange for lunch.

It just has so many more features than the Orange and does what the Orange could do, plus. I can run pedals in the effects loop or run rack gear. It has power attenuation. It has 3 channels and 5 modes plus bright switches to alter the voicing on the various channels and modes. It has a fantastic EQ. Global Presence and Resonance. To say these amps are horrible is hard for me to believe. Tells me someone has an agenda.... or allegiance to another UK amp company!:lol:

• Members

I still have to try an S1. My HT-100 is truly a solid amp. It goes great with my other guitar players orange. I play with the voice button out through Mode 4 Vintage 30s. It definitely does better with V30 style speakers than G12t75s (I have cabs with both). The clean is truly great, I had 2 sound guys really impressed with the clean. The crunch is solid, there are better but for a solid amp I paid $650 for you can't beat it.

• Members

I've certainly seen some very polarised opinions on these amps so far. Has anyone had any experience with the EL34 version of the 104? I have a Marshall JVM that I love to pieces, but was looking to get something to complement it as a "every now and then" alternative. My style of playing doesn't really suit 6L6 power sections.

The fact that they have MIDI switching is a MASSIVE plus for me, but of course if they really sound awful I will avoid them at all costs.

• Members

I remember playing the series one and thinking it sounded like dog poo. But then I heard James hetfield play one at sonisphere and it cut through like a mofo. I have heard his were hand built special designe but it still sounded like a series one. It had good crunch but it had a sweet cleanness too the sound like he was running it with almost no gain.

I think for someone like Tim who plays in a generic sounding band it would not be suitable at all hence him not liking it but Saying that any amp costing

• Members

I remember playing the series one and thinking it sounded like dog poo. But then I heard James hetfield play one at sonisphere and it cut through like a mofo. I have heard his were hand built special designe but it still sounded like a series one. It had good crunch but it had a sweet cleanness too the sound like he was running it with almost no gain.

I think for someone like Tim who plays in a generic sounding band it would not be suitable at all hence him not liking it but Saying that any amp costing

• Members

• Members

Hetfield did not use the series one at sonisphere, he had 4 Diezel VH4's, i know this because i watched them getting loaded onto the stage!

There is a big difference between engineering and producing a record, anyone can engineer and record whats put in front of them, to produce something takes a lot more skill and knowledge.

Oh yeah, i wouldnt call my band generic either, we're unfortunate in we've been lumped into a genre where theres a lot of overly familiar stuff going on, but you wont find another band in the UK doing what we do.

I heard blackstar themselfs had said that James has his own personal series one held in the uk for gigs and that he had used them at sonisphere. You may or may not be correct but the sound coming from his guitar did sound like the series one.

I do understand the difference between producer and engineer. The task of getting a decent sound of an amp is generally the duty of the engineer (mic placements etc). So either his engineer is not upto the job or he is doing both jobs and isn't doing a good job as the engineer. The amp is not to my liking as but I said, it's by no means unusable.

Don't get me wrong. I love generic bands and since the demise of busted I am sure there is a gap in the market for you. And with mcfly getting away from guitar music you are well in.

• Members

I heard blackstar themselfs had said that James has his own personal series one held in the uk for gigs and that he had used them at sonisphere. You may or may not be correct but the sound coming from his guitar did sound like the series one.

I do understand the difference between producer and engineer. The task of getting a decent sound of an amp is generally the duty of the engineer (mic placements etc). So either his engineer is not upto the job or he is doing both jobs and isn't doing a good job as the engineer. The amp is not to my liking as but I said, it's by no means unusable.

Don't get me wrong. I love generic bands and since the demise of busted I am sure there is a gap in the market for you. And with mcfly getting away from guitar music you are well in.

:blah:

Archived