roast, brine or frying your bird tomorrow?

Y0UNGBL00D

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GodBlessTexas

View Post

Brines are supposed to be salty. If it's not salty, you didn't do it right. what is your ratio to salt/sugar and in how much water?

Right, it wouldn't be called a brine without the salt. I'd say I have a 2:1 of salt to sugar. I also have spices and chicken stock in there. I have about 3 gals of stuff all told. 1 Gal of broth and 2 gal of water.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by LoopQuantum

View Post

I wouldn't use a rub on a fried bird either.

Guess I wasn't too clear on that. That's the rub I use for roasting.

thumb.gif When my wife gets a wild hair up her butt to roast a bird on Thanksgiving, your solution sounds a lot like what she does, though she puts the butter under the skin on the breast side.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GodBlessTexas

View Post

thumb.gif When my wife gets a wild hair up her butt to roast a bird on Thanksgiving, your solution sounds a lot like what she does, though she puts the butter under the skin on the breast side.

I do that too lol!

TONS OF BUTTER.

This year, this turkey will be a Heart Attack. Butter+Rub+3 LBS of Boudin. We're doing a Cajun style TGiving this year...red beans and rice, Boudin Turkey, Corn and Crab Bisque, Bread Pudding... etc.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Miter Gauge

View Post

Right, it wouldn't be called a brine without the salt. I'd say I have a 2:1 of salt to sugar. I also have spices and chicken stock in there. I have about 3 gals of stuff all told. 1 Gal of broth and 2 gal of water.

Well, you're the one who said it was too salty. cop.gif What is your total volume of salt then? The ratio of 2:1 salt sounds right.

It will probably be fine. I've never had an over-salty bird, and I've had some brines that tasted like dragging my tongue along a spiced up salt lick when tested before putting the bird in. Certainly nothing I'd taste willingly in a large quantity.

• Members

I do that too lol!

TONS OF BUTTER.

This year, this turkey will be a Heart Attack. Butter+Rub+3 LBS of Boudin. We're doing a Cajun style TGiving this year...red beans and rice, Boudin Turkey, Corn and Crab Bisque, Bread Pudding... etc.

Sounds damn tasty, and all this food talk reminds me that I haven't eaten since breakfast. :cry:

• Members

I've never had braised turkey. Doesn't look/sound bad and I respect the ATK folks.

Sometimes, instead of cooking the whole bird, I'll slice off the breasts, hit them with the aforementioned rub, and sear for 6 minutes, skin side down, flip em, throw the pan in the oven at 375 till medium well.

Remove pan, remove breasts, deglaze pan with a little pinot noir, pour back over turkey, let rest, and slice.

Comes out a bit like roast duck breast. :love:

Archived