Raiders of the Lost Ark submarine controversy

tommythelurker

• Members

Question:

when Elsa crossed the great seal, and the temple collapsed, what happened to the Holy Grail, and what happened to the Knight?

Did the Knight die? If so, he sure didn't act like imminent death was an urgent matter, just sort of a "hey guyz, I can tell it was the woman's fault that my majestic home is falling on me. I don't blame you for this, bros."

• Members

The ark is on the deck of the sub. It can't fit in the hatch. The sub doesn't dive so that the ark doesn't get wet and the diesel engines can propel the sub faster along the surface. Indy hides behind the ark and doesn't cling to the periscope. The trip takes 36 hours.

• Members

Question:

when Elsa crossed the great seal, and the temple collapsed, what happened to the Holy Grail, and what happened to the Knight?

Did the Knight die? If so, he sure didn't act like imminent death was an urgent matter, just sort of a "hey guyz, I can tell it was the woman's fault that my majestic home is falling on me. I don't blame you for this, bros."

Why would he care? He was 7 bajillion years old as it was. The Grail being buried was just another way of keeping it safe, which was his duty. He could no longer physically guard it, so he was fulfilling his life-long duty either way.

• Members

I never thought Indy rode the sub to the island.

I thought that when the director said "Cut", he just got into a boat, or whatever the cast and crew used to get to the island for the next shot.

It's movie guys/gals. Why would Harrison Ford ride on a sub's periscope to the net shot, when he could go more comfortably to the shoot?!

• Members

You're a movie!

img_02.gif

I fearlessly walk into battle

With a shine on my boots and my teeth

Never flinch, never blink, never rattle

My blood is like ice underneath

Oh, I'm the reincarnation of Patton

And I've got Hannibal's heart in my chest

God told me I would have rivalled

Alexander the Great at his best

(You're a movie)

Quite

(You're a movie)

Yes

(The exception)

That's right

(You're the final kind)

(You're a movie)

More of an epic

(Please include me, send us to the line)

Mm, that's right

Very good

Bullets repel off my medals

And my men are in awe when I speak

All chaos my strategy settles

My mere presence gives strength to the weak

For me it seems really alarming

I'm really just only a man

With five million sheep in this army

I seem to be the only one fit to command

(You're a movie)

I'm quite aware

(You're a movie)

Yeah

(The exception)

Oh, you've noticed

(You're the final kind)

(You're a movie)

Hey, very true

(Please include me, send us to the line)

Mm, if you're lucky

I must go now and save the world

Move aside mere drop of water, let the ocean pass

(You're a movie)

Quite right

(You're a movie)

(The exception)

(You're the final kind)

(You're a movie)

(Please include me)

Mm hmm

(Please include me)

(Please include me)

Possibly

(Send us to the lines)

Good man

(Send us to the lines)

I'll be at the front, please

(Front of the lines)

Oh, alright

Follow me

Another day, another victory

Another gold stripe, another star

Really quite boring sometimes

I wish they'd send someone equal to my strategies

What a guy

I'm really quite a guy

• Members

from IMDB:

There is a deleted scene in which you see Indy holding on to the periscope, which is sticking out of the water. Early submarines generally traveled the oceans on the surface of the water under diesel power, which requires access to the air for inlets to the engines. They could only travel short distances under water, as this required electric propulsion and the battery power of the submarine did not last very long. German U-boats would only submerge when they'd attack surface ships. However, there would generally be four or five crewman on the conning tower as lookouts. U-boats generally would submerge to a depth of roughly 12 meters, deep enough to see out the periscope. In the novelization, Indy lashed himself to the periscope with his bullwhip and rode/dozed through 20 frigid hours in oceanic water. In the movie, we never see the sub fully submerge, so are left with the conclusion that Indy rode on the top, a more believable scenario than riding it underwater without freezing or drowning.

• Members

^ that's exactly what I remember seeing in the theater when the movie was originally release, he's strapped to the periscope, shivering and kind of dozing off.

Another thing, and I could be totally wrong about this one, but in the idol scene I remember him throwing a handful of sand at the idol rather than just dropping it, but I haven't seen anything since to support this one :idk: The sub one still trips me out though :freak:

• Members

WWII Subs had diesel engines. the diesels powered the sub on the surface, but batteries were used under water. The battery life provided for only a few hours of manuvering, so most times, the subs ran on the surface unless they were engaged in battle. Since the Germans ruled the Mediterranean during the build up to the war, I always assumed Indy survived by hiding out on top of the sub and it didn't submerge until it reached the island stonghold. Then he had to hide in the water to avoid the Nazi lookouts.

Archived