Dr Z vs. 65 Amp

J.Paul

• Members

Thinking of trading the Z for a 65 Amp London.

I'm looking for progress reports on the 65 Amp from you guys.

Are they reliable on the road (don't care how well they've performed in your pampered studio)?

Are they easily servicable or there some unforseen weirdness with having one repaired or serviced?

thanks

• Members

woof. not being a jerk at all-- but you might ask over at the gear page-- that stuff is a little too high brow for this place.

what z are you talking though-- 'cause i have a carmen ghia and love the thing.. not sure i'd trade it, although i've heard some good things about the soho. i suspect there wouldn't be huge differences though-- but could be wrong, depending on which doc z amp..

• Members

London is a FANTASTIC amp. I would do that in a heartbeat. Dont know about reliability. I used to own a maz 38 and something went wrong and dr z hooked me up right away. They are an awesome company to deal with. I just didnt gel with the amp as much as others I had/have. THe London is a better sounding amp to my ears than a maz.

• Members

The 65's are lovely. Very unique tones and built hard.

I'd quite happily rock a 65. Especially one of the high powered models. The Empire seems cool as does the London.

I nearly bought one recently but went for a Bogner. Given the choice again, I'd probably get a 65 as they did sound nice. Very much a band amp. If that makes sense. Would sound awesome in a live environment.

• Members

I bought an Empire a few months ago. Jeez 6 months now that I think of it.

I've rehearsed it a bunch and gigged it once. Then all 3 bands I was in fizzled at the same time. So, I can't give a road toughness - reliability report but I've looked inside and it's no more complicated than a PTP Fender. Looks easy to fix should something go wrong.

• Members

Thanks for the replies folks,

not really sure by the responses if any of you actually own one and are playing it live

I'm seeing lots of acts that we've played with actually using them on the road (phil vassar, sugarland, dierks bentley....)and they're miced up and live....sound really nice no doubt

but that doesn't address how they ride in the semi, are they handling the bumps and temperatures, are they in the shop all the time or are they a workhorse...they don't sound so good when you're using a spare that night.

Archived