Laney VH100 vs. Marshall 410H distortion

cacheek

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To expand on my opinion.

I owned a VH100R in the mid-late 90s. I loved the mother{censored}er! It was sweet. It took pedals well, one of the few amps that sounded phenomenal with the Boss MetalZone and paired with a Boss SD1 and a few other sweeties, it was everything I was after in an amp.

After a house fire, I lost my VH100R (along with EVERYTHING else) and I have no idea what Laney were up to at the time, but I couldn't order another one anywhere. I had one order placed for two months and cancelled in the end. I went to the store and the guy tried for two straight solid hours to get anyone at Laney to actually confirm that a VH100R was at least in existence somewhere. He couldn't, so we just cancelled.

I was using a loaned JCM900 DR (which I bought ten years later, but that's another story) and the guy wanted it back. So I needed to get amp'd up. I settled for the JCM2000 TSL100. It wasn't as awesome as the VH100R, but it sounded good enough - bear in mind my insurance hadn't come through yet.

Anyway, after buying a used VH100R recently just after I bought the JVM410H, I was well in the mindset that the JVM was far more than I needed and the VH100R would replace it. Well, all the sounds I loved from my Laney were still there, but just every sound I tried, using it live, rehearsing, at home, the JVM410H just sounded, I dunno, better at... Classic Rock? Yep the VH100R has it in spades, but the JVM just did it better...

After a month or so of switching back and forth, I got an offer on the VH100R and let it go.

The VH100R is a solid as {censored} amp, and if I were stuck on a desert island with only one amp, I'd be happy with the VH100R... but I don't think I'd stop thinking about the JVM.

Ultimately, I'm happier this way. The JVM410H is more versatile, does 99% of things better and I love the whole footpedal + guitar cable dealy.

That said, I'm sure if the JVM breaks down it'll kick me straight in the wallet-bollock.

• Members

It's really going to come down to your preference of sound and feel of the amp. Neither the JVM or VH100R is better than another. Unfortunately, you may either have to take a chance on the VH100R if you don't know what it sounds like or find the nearest dealer or somebody on CL that has one that you can test drive. I've owned my VH100R for 10 years now. I've gone through many amps from Orange, Mesa, Marshall, Engl and etc. For the style that i play and what my requirements are? The VH100R is my choice. Everybody has their own take for both amps. I like an amp that has some sag and a bit loosness on the distortion. The Marshall as you know has stiffer feel, but has that one of a kinda Marshall roar. If you have any questions regarding specifically on the VH100R I would be happy to answer you.

• Members

I agree with Nerine!

I think I do too, for once. However, only because I think that the 410H is way overkill. I would look at the 205, or 210H. I think they sound better, because of a less complicated circuit. Even with that in mind, it's still more versatile than the Laney. Tone-wise, the Laney may edge it out, but only because I think the cleans are better. Both high gain, both do it well.

• Members

I think I do too, for once. However, only because I think that the 410H is way overkill. I would look at the 205, or 210H. I think they sound better, because of a less complicated circuit. Even with that in mind, it's still more versatile than the Laney. Tone-wise, the Laney may edge it out, but only because I think the cleans are better. Both high gain, both do it well.

They have the same PCB though. I mean it. The same, pcb at all. The 2XX doesn't have two power tubes installed and some parts of the circuit. And as I said before it is not a less complicated circuit, what is on when you are on the JCM 800 mode (od orange on the 2XX) is, as a circuit, exactly what you will find on on a JCM 800 reissue minus the ressonance (which is way better to have) control. So this oppinion is in fact, wrong.

If the 2XX sounds better than the 410, then {censored}...

• Members

For all you that couldn't drive an El Diablo, really? :facepalm: Open it up, EQ with your ears not your eyes and EQ in the band's mix. Active EQs can be tricky, but really?

I completely :lol: when you all rip on that amp. What were your EQ settings, Dimed bass, mids cut, dimed highs, tube contour cut and gain dimed? :lol::facepalm::wave:

I love my VH100R, I'd hate to be w/o it, but my El Diablos (I have the 100 watt head and the 60/30 combo) do all that the VH100 does and more w/o the noise, with better articulation and handle modern tones BETTER than the Laney VH100R. The 60/30 combo is easier to drive, but neither are hard to dial in killer tones if you use your ears and realize which knob to turn in sequence to get the tones you're looking for. :love:

If you can't drive an El Diablo, your ears are esta

• Members

I think the switching system is slow, i've heard guitarists live (including the other guitarist in my band) with momentary switching issues, like a slight delay between pressing the pedal and getting the next sound. I also think a lot of the modes and channels sound very similar and at band volumes there appears to be very little difference. I think theres amps out there that do the channel switching thing a lot better, the laney being one of them.

Not to be offensive, but that right there is utter crap.

I even turned my jvm410 back on just to verify. It's perfectly fine. It's exactly the same as any other Ive ever owned.

to that end, I can only theorise that possibly you were using a {censored} cable with it? Maybe that makes a difference, I don't know, I only have planet waves stuff. But no, that's pure crap.

• Members

Not to be offensive, but that right there is utter crap.

I even turned my jvm410 back on just to verify. It's perfectly fine. It's exactly the same as any other Ive ever owned.

to that end, I can only theorise that possibly you were using a {censored} cable with it? Maybe that makes a difference, I don't know, I only have planet waves stuff. But no, that's pure crap.

yes, my JVM has no switching issues, switches as fast as any other amp I've ever had.

• Members

Amen, brother. Though, I'd say closer to 50%.

Why don't you sift through them

I'd say it's closer to

You want to bum the JVM.

I don't like them.

For reasons I clearly stated in the JVM fan club thread. I got no response though.... :idk:

A difference of opinion isn't something to get worked up by.

• Members

Hardvalve = IGNORANT.

I have yet to play a regular production, off the shelf modern Marshall that sounds good AT ALL. There is some custom shop and limited edition models, but really a different thing. I have played, and spent a lot of time with most Marshalls, from vintage, to 80s, 90s, and most of the modern stuff. I wish there was a modern Marshall that DID sound good, most are buzzy, thin, harsh, and none of the vibe of the older Marshalls. Cheap PCB amps that are way overpriced. So many alternatives out theere for the same price or cheaper, no reason to play the new {censored}ty amps. The Laney's I have played I can get MUCH cheaper, and prefer their British tones to any of the new Marshalls. So yea, I am ignorant.

• Members

I have yet to play a regular production, off the shelf modern Marshall that sounds good AT ALL. There is some custom shop and limited edition models, but really a different thing. I have played, and spent a lot of time with most Marshalls, from vintage, to 80s, 90s, and most of the modern stuff. I wish there was a modern Marshall that DID sound good, most are buzzy, thin, harsh, and none of the vibe of the older Marshalls. Cheap PCB amps that are way overpriced. So many alternatives out theere for the same price or cheaper, no reason to play the new {censored}ty amps. The Laney's I have played I can get MUCH cheaper, and prefer their British tones to any of the new Marshalls. So yea, I am ignorant.

Yeah you are totally correct.

The reissue JTM45 and 2203 sound completely {censored}.

I should know.

I own them.

Archived