Mesa 4x12, Open Top with C-90s, and closed bottom with EV 200W Speakers, Metal Grill

Hardvalve

• Members

I cannot speak for the 4x12, but the 2x12 is massive, I can only imagine the 4x12 is more massive. The one I have has a crudely made back for the top as well, and can actually get a little overpowering with the low end depending on which amp/guitar I'm using.

I haven't messed around with the top open all that much....mostly due to laziness. I should do rectify that.

Edit: I realize this doesn't actually answer your question...but the 2x12 kicks ass. If the price for a 4x12 is right, and you need/want something that can put out plenty of volume, with good lows and still sound articulate, it'd be tough to go wrong buying it.

• Members

I cannot speak for the 4x12, but the 2x12 is massive, I can only imagine the 4x12 is more massive. The one I have has a crudely made back for the top as well, and can actually get a little overpowering with the low end depending on which amp/guitar I'm using.

I haven't messed around with the top open all that much....mostly due to laziness. I should do rectify that.

Edit: I realize this doesn't actually answer your question...but the 2x12 kicks ass. If the price for a 4x12 is right, and you need/want something that can put out plenty of volume, with good lows and still sound articulate, it'd be tough to go wrong buying it.

These come with no back for the top. I was just wondering if they sound as tight as a regular 4x12. I play brutal metal, and really like a tight bottom end. I have some open back, but they are very airy, and work great for vintage, and bluesy tones. I was hoping this might be a good mix of both.

• Members

The 2x12 and 4x12 are different beasts entirely. The 2x12 is an over-sized 2x12 with a ported bottom, whereas the 4x12 is a smallish 4x12 with no ports. Still with two EV12L they have more than enough bottom end for any music you may decide to play through them, and the open back helps fill out the room sound so it's not as directional.

• Members

These come with no back for the top. I was just wondering if they sound as tight as a regular 4x12. I play brutal metal, and really like a tight bottom end. I have some open back, but they are very airy, and work great for vintage, and bluesy tones. I was hoping this might be a good mix of both.

It is a good mix, and you can always cobble together a back for the upper bout and add some cleats to the inside of the cab to affix it to.

• Members

The 2x12 doesn't either. Mine just has a ghetto piece of 3/4" plywood screwed too it to make it closed back. It works pretty damn well, but that's just IMO.

However, I don't have enough experience with it open to let you really know. Sorry.

• Members

The 2x12 doesn't either. Mine just has a ghetto piece of 3/4" plywood screwed too it to make it closed back. It works pretty damn well, but that's just IMO.

However, I don't have enough experience with it open to let you really know. Sorry.

Better idea, sell me your 2x12.........Has an EV200W in the bottom???

• Members

The 2x12 and 4x12 are different beasts entirely. The 2x12 is an over-sized 2x12 with a ported bottom, whereas the 4x12 is a smallish 4x12 with no ports. Still with two EV12L they have more than enough bottom end for any music you may decide to play through them, and the open back helps fill out the room sound so it's not as directional.

It is smaller than a regular 4x12???

• Members

Better idea, sell me your 2x12.........Has an EV200W in the bottom???

No. I won't part with it! Cause then I'll end up with some 2nd rate 4x12 just cause!

I don't know what it has in the bottom. I haven't checked since I bought it. :facepalm: It does have a C90 in the top. I'll try and remember to take a look tomorrow. I've only been meaning to for months now. :lol:

• Members

No. I won't part with it! Cause then I'll end up with some 2nd rate 4x12 just cause!

I don't know what it has in the bottom. I haven't checked since I bought it.
:facepalm:
It does have a C90 in the top. I'll try and remember to take a look tomorrow. I've only been meaning to for months now.
:lol:

You should the EV200W go for between 150-200$.....they also weigh 26lbs!!!!!!

• Members

Ahhh, good to know sir. :thu:

• Members

Ya know it. There is one for 350.00 within 50 miles.....there is a Soldano for about the same price.....

I'd go for the boogie. Plenty of thrash and death metal bands used them quite successfully. Alex and Eric from Testament played through them when I saw them back in the day and the tones were pure {censored}ing :rawk:.

• Members

I'd go for the boogie. Plenty of thrash and death metal bands used them quite successfully. Alex and Eric from Testament played through them when I saw them back in the day and the tones were pure {censored}ing
:rawk:

I play Death Metal.....sooooo, yea that may be the one.

• Members

I don't know what it has in the bottom. I haven't checked since I bought it.
:facepalm:
It does have a C90 in the top. I'll try and remember to take a look tomorrow. I've only been meaning to for months now.
:lol:

It's not the evm 12l. If it had that speaker, I probably wouldn't have sold it to ya!!! Or...at least not for that cheap ;) I believe it has a m12-50 in it...but you'd have to open her up to check for sure. Seriously though...how much effort is it for you to take a damn power driver to it and see for yourself??? Lazy bastard!!!! Seriously though, I'm glad you are enjoying it. I told you it was a great cab. At that price..you couldn't go wrong :thu:

• Members

one of the best sounding cabs ever made, in my opinion, for certain sounds.

clean- gorgeous, dirty of the NON super high gain variety-- amazing. good dispersion on stage, beautiful top end. i never used one for high gain sorta playing-- but i have many recollections of those things for just incredible midgain tones on down. wish i could find one-- but i use 2 112's in the same configuration using similar speakers myself.

Archived