Self-Built Guitar Pics Thread

xoeo

• Members

Thanks for your interest, Rad--(actually they're thumb NUTS)--The two furthest-back lock down the adjusting screws that determine the "down" position of each lever and therefore the pitch of the second and third strings. This is set up in open E (E-B-E-G#-B-E low to high) so bending the 2nd up a whole step and the 3rd a half takes you from I to IV--a very characteristic pedal steel sound. Got the idea for this from back when I was using a Hipshot on my old Gretsch, playin' in a country band. The four forward thumbnuts allow you to swing the arms back out of the way so you've got a conventional lap that you can palm-mute, like this:

Image123.jpg

That is a really cleaver design. :thu:

• Members

For you lap steelers, here's my "Pedalap Steel"--A steel with benders on the 2nd & 3rd strings. My own design; this is #4 of 4 made so far.

Image110.jpg

Image113.jpg

Excellent design concept... you are really thinking outside the box here. Is it original enough to get a patent?

• Members

MahaloVision, nice site. So that is a real binding on the V guitar ? I wondered if you just left the stain off. Looks great.

Thank you. Yes, that is flamed maple binding. Actually, it's a laminated wood binding with plain rock maple on the inside and flamed on the outside for effect. Yes, it was a bitch to install! But much nicer than the plastic binding I tried first. It looked stupid, so I ripped it off.

• Members

Built this from scratch. Bought the guitar off ebay, the neck has a very slight twist to it, took it off, sanded the body down to bare wood, refinished with about 20 coats of nitro, sanding between every coat.

Installed new pots, switches, wiring, a pair of Gibson 490 / 498 pups, added a new neck off of ebay...this sucker sounds unbelievable with the Gibson pups. I was gonna sell it on eBay, but I can't bring myself to turn loose of it. Bottom pic is what it looked like when I got it. It was a lot rougher than what it looks like in the pic.

blond.jpg

Blond2.jpg

Blond1.jpg

HarmonyH7000NA.jpg

• Members

I've been building acoustics at a snail's pace over the last year and a half or so. I studied for 6 months under a master luthier here in Michigan and have successfully completed 3 guitars with #4 very near the finish stage.

In order:

#1 is Port Orford Cedar with Claro Walnut back & sides, walnut neck (like a clubby 50's Les Paul) ebony binding, bridge and fretboard.

2167798720068448227S600x600Q85.jpg 2967344260068448227S600x600Q85.jpg

#2 I originally built for myself before someone fell in love with it.

It has a redwood top with the sister set of Claro Walnut from #1, curly maple bindings and the neck is more Taylor like and made from Mahogany, maple & walnut.

2836057530068448227S600x600Q85.jpg

2791445240068448227S600x600Q85.jpg

#3 is Ribboned mahogany, top, sides & back with walnut bindings.

This guitar also sold shortly after completion.

2535474700068448227S600x600Q85.jpg 2490180790068448227S600x600Q85.jpg

For more pictures you can click on any of these and be taken to the album containing many photos of each guitar.

#4 is very close to finish and has a spruce top, curly anigre back & sides with rosewood bindings.

• Members

I'm not sure if it qualifies as "self-built", but I rebuilt an Epiphone Bully for my nephew recently and wound up replacing or refinishing all the guts, hardware, and finish down to the bare wood. I think it turned out well for a first timer who can't actually play:freak::lol::freak:

2335740160_2cb5c6c3b5_b.jpg

I've got more images taken while I was working on it here http://www.flickr.com/photos/ironleg/sets/72157603640594224/.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This is a friends eighth or ninth effort. The picture doesn't do it justice. He cut the body out of solid stock, then did the bookmatching for the top and bottom, cut the headstock way down and had to come up with a little roller bearing for the fourth string. Dual controls for each pick up. I'm not a guitar player but the action seemed very nice . He has a guitar tech friend do the neck adjustments for him.

[ATTACH]263852[/ATTACH]

• Members

Built this from scratch. Bought the guitar off ebay, the neck has a very slight twist to it, took it off, sanded the body down to bare wood, refinished with about 20 coats of nitro, sanding between every coat.

Installed new pots, switches, wiring, a pair of Gibson 490 / 498 pups, added a new neck off of ebay...this sucker sounds unbelievable with the Gibson pups. I was gonna sell it on eBay, but I can't bring myself to turn loose of it. Bottom pic is what it looked like when I got it. It was a lot rougher than what it looks like in the pic.

blond.jpg

Blond2.jpg

Blond1.jpg

HarmonyH7000NA.jpg

would happily own that

Archived