6505+ power tubes needed.

satannica

• Members

I'm gonna hi-jack this here thread for a minute.

I too want to replace some tubes in my VHT special 6 ultra. Problem is, can I just put any 6V6 and 12AX7's in it, or do I need to pay attention to the prefix and suffix on the tube callout?

Not sure what kind of replacement can be used.

Also, if I replace the tubes with same tubes, different brand...do I need to bias the amp?

Yeah, I'm new at this and don't know {censored}.

• Members

I'm gonna hi-jack this here thread for a minute.

I too want to replace some tubes in my VHT special 6 ultra. Problem is, can I just put any 6V6 and 12AX7's in it, or do I need to pay attention to the prefix and suffix on the tube callout?

Not sure what kind of replacement can be used.

Also, if I replace the tubes with same tubes, different brand...do I need to bias the amp?

Yeah, I'm new at this and don't know {censored}.

You can put any 12AX7's or 6V6's in it, but if the amp has an adjustable bias, you will have to re-bias the amp if you change power tubes.

• Members

Is there a chance it WOULD NOT have an adjustable bias? And if so, does this mean I can throw new tubes in and away we go?

I'm not familiar with that particular amp, so I don't know if it has an adjustable bias or not. If it is fixed bias, then yes, you could just toss in new tubes and start playing. I would consult your manual, or contact VHT to find out if it has a fixed or adjustable bias before doing anything. Perhaps someone here that's familiar with the amp can chime in. You'll probably get better results if you start your own thread though.

As far as the pre-amp tubes go though, you can just swap them out and start playing.

• Members

I'm not familiar with that particular amp, so I don't know if it has an adjustable bias or not. If it is fixed bias, then yes, you could just toss in new tubes and start playing. I would consult your manual, or contact VHT to find out if it has a fixed or adjustable bias before doing anything. Perhaps someone here that's familiar with the amp can chime in. You'll probably get better results if you start your own thread though.

As far as the pre-amp tubes go though, you can just swap them out and start playing.

Cool. Thanks for the input!

• Members

Your VHT most likely has an adjustable bias. It also most likely is set to a rather cold bias by default and you can certainly just swap the power tubes without adjusting the bias or worrying about your tubes or amp. That much being said, adjusting the bias can alter the performance of your amp in ways you might appreciate but if you're happy with it as is just swap them out for new matched ones.

Archived