Modeling dudes please give me some input?

Seattle Doug

• Members

You gotta have stereo as all the intended pre amps are stereo based.

But 350 watts per side for a Guitar rig?

I think that wattage is a bit overkill.

100 watts per side or even 50, would cover most any need.

I've got a 400W per side poweramp for my rig. Rather overkill for my use at the moment, but I'm using about 30W from one channel, playing in a relatively quiet metal band. A 50W SS power section would be pretty limiting, and I'd say 100W probably would be too. :idk:

Then of course, some guys using this kind of gear are playing bass, or Sticks or whatever. :idk:

• Members

I voted for the 700 stereo. But it wouldn't be my choice either way. If I'd go modelling and play loud I'd want to have the ability to take advantage of all the {censored} in the modelling gear (dual rig, or stereo effects) and be able to hear myself but not having to haul around the size/weight of an actual amp.

So I'd do a stereo 2x12 coaxial only with 350 watts per side. Class D amps can do that relatively cheap and with minimal weight and a 2x12 is still "enough" for most applications and can be transported easily.

If you play as a single guitarist and want to flash around two cabs, your 2x12 could also have an alternate mode similar to the flextone plus system guitarbilly74 mentioned. Connect another passive one and have them one in left and one in right at that mode. That would allow stereo chorus effects or having your signal doing a "virtual recto" on one side and a "boosted plexi" on the other with a 10ms delay or something. I think andy wood also did a similar thing?

I had a tube brunetti silver bullet power amp and a pod X3 doing that but went with guitar cabs (1x12s) in the end as in my oppinion retracting the cab sim and letting guitar speakers do their work cut a lot better than PA speakers.

So it would be a 2x12 stereo 350 per side with the option of adding a second passive one. But I'd watch the price. You can do a similar scenario with two jet city's 2x12 or 1x12, some coaxial fanes and a cheapish power amp for a certain amount of money. And I think it was somewhat less than the 899$ I saw for the original 4x12 you had at NAMM?

Also why not do a power amp with xtra eq for room correction (so as not to screw your patches or deep edit the modeller), and offer passive 1x12 or 2x12 with coaxial speakers? Save R&D money and base them on the existing plywood series of the JCA 1x12 or 2x12 just change the speakers?

Archived