What Is the Most Aggressive and Raw Voiced Amp Out on the Market?

Rockett

• Members

I had a D120 and that was indeed aggressive and badass
:thu:
What's the difference between that and the UL you have?

I've never played a D120, but I have a D60, and compared to the Red channel on my UL:

The UL is more aggressive, and more dry. It's a little tighter and has a little more attack.

There's a pretty similar level of gain, but the D60 is a little more forgiving (of course, it's a VHT, so that's relative).

Obviously, the UL has a TON more options, but the overall voicing and feel of the two amps is pretty similar.

I'm glad that I have both, but I'd honestly be happy if either one was my only amp.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I always thought the Quickrod was extremely aggressive and raw.

The two-channel Titan is SERIOUSLY aggressive. Almost to the point of too much.

Having heard and played Raf's Mako, I'll also say the Dorado is pretty aggressive, but I think it'd be too smooth for what you're asking. Killer amp, though (the mak4)

So there you have it.

• Members

I've never played a D120, but I have a D60, and compared to the Red channel on my UL:

The UL is more aggressive, and more dry. It's a little tighter and has a little more attack.

There's a pretty similar level of gain, but the D60 is a little more forgiving (of course, it's a VHT, so that's relative).

Obviously, the UL has a TON more options, but the overall voicing and feel of the two amps is pretty similar.

I'm glad that I have both, but I'd honestly be happy if either one was my only amp.

CLX too!!!!!

• Members

Really? I mean, raw and open, yeah, but I didn't really think the Deliverance was super "aggressive".

I've played a couple.

Maybe I was doing it wrong?
:lol:

I have a D120, 5150, Recto, and recently got rid of a Mark III.

I would say the 5150 is the most aggressive and nasty sounding. After that probably the Triple Recto, especially with a boost. I find the Deliverance the most "laid back"and "broad sounding" the of the group. I usually use a boost with it as well to make it more aggressive sounding.

• Members

Threads like this are so dumb. Everyone has different interpretations of what "aggressive" and "raw" mean in regards to guitar tone, so everyone is just going to end up listing their favorite metal amp.

That may be true, but a similar principle also applies to the majority of threads in probably nearly any forum -- which boobs and butts are kewl, which political party is better (I can help with that, thoug; the correct answer is they both suck :thu:), which type of music or what part of a musician's career is better, which type of fighting style is best, etc... :D

BTW, 5150/II/6505/+. :D

• Members

The 6505 plus is a decent amp that's for sure, plus it is a damn steal compared to other high gainers. However, the 5150 is a bit more "raw" sounding IMO and I would probably recommend grabbing one of those used if possible, but either would work. On a side note, the 6505 is insanely loud, like it goes from 0-1,000 with the slightest turn of the volume knob. I sold mine because it was just too much, but I wasn't in a band.

I'm pretty sure this point has been discussed to death but the 6505 and 5150 are identical save for the aesthetics.

• Members

Considering the amps that have been mentioned I actually think most of us agree on raw and aggressive?

- JCM800 - check. Not a lot of gain, but very raw and punchy. Raspy, thick, crunchy. Great amp if you know how to work hard. I'm sure a dimed Plexi-like amp gets even rawer, but with even less gain. I've never played one so take Nerine's word for it.

- 5150/6505 - check. Thick and raw. A lot looser than an 800, but in a nice way. A LOT more gain/saturation than an 800, not even in the same league, but to me it's still in the raw/fun camp.

- What's drier than an 800 yet still has that raw vibe? A VHT UL I'd guess. Haven't played one, but that's what I get from clips and descriptions.

One I haven't heard mentioned: A recto on orange. Raw and nasty in it's own way. I'm a Marshally guy, but THAT sound I dig. From clips/description I hear the Framus Cobra is actually a more refined, perhaps tighter version of that.

Archived