50W Rack Poweramp Build

i386

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Almost there. Need to find some type of mesh material for the front. I think maybe something made of aluminum. It will match the knobs and provide some contrast to the black.

Here it is pictured with the X88R preamp I completed last year.

e6b61362.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • Members

hey look doublepenetrated shows up, says dumb things and tries to {censored} all over someone's build thread. pretty much par for the course, nothing surprising here except he hasnt brought politics into the thread yet.

go be ghey somewhere else, the only thing you have the talent to build is a stack of pancakes

• Members

Had Mike Soldano known about the Peavey Classic 50/50 things would probably be different. wink.gif

Seriously, mounting the transformers outside the chassis and oriented 90 degrees from each other is a good building practice. The orientation helps to keep the PT magnetic field away from the OT and having it outside keeps those fields away from the signal path. This is part of what it takes to build a quiet amp. Using a smaller chassis would put the transformers in with the rest of the circuit. After some trial and error, engineers can design an amp in a smaller chassis with a high density of parts. That's a pretty tall order for a a guy building a one off amp in his basement workshop.

Archived