What's the consensus on the Fender '59 Bassman 4x10?

OMTerria

• Members

I'm guessing he's not an HCAF regular. He might need some back-story.

Edit: The 59 Bassman RI's are pretty awesome. I had one for a couple years. Great tones, cranked a bit gets a real nice breakup. I had an early 90's one and the quality wasn't the best. The electronics were fine, but the wood wasn't holding up too well after 20 years.

• Members

I'm guessing he's not an HCAF regular. He might need some back-story.

Edit: The 59 Bassman RI's are pretty awesome. I had one for a couple years. Great tones, cranked a bit gets a real nice breakup. I had an early 90's one and the quality wasn't the best. The electronics were fine, but the wood wasn't holding up too well after 20 years.

Haha yeah, I haven't been in the amp market for some time now. Thanks for the info though! Can it stay mostly clean loud though?

• Members

Haha yeah, I haven't been in the amp market for some time now. Thanks for the info though! Can it stay mostly clean loud though?

I mainly use humbuckers, and mine would start getting a little dirty around 4. That is decently loud, probably around where it would be with a drummer. I'm sure using lower output pickups and/or singles, and swapping tubes for low gain/late break up tubes would allow you to stay cleaner longer. Definitely not a Twin though.

• Members

I mainly use humbuckers, and mine would start getting a little dirty around 4. That is decently loud, probably around where it would be with a drummer. I'm sure using lower output pickups and/or singles, and swapping tubes for low gain/late break up tubes would allow you to stay cleaner longer. Definitely not a Twin though.

Cool, that sounds like what I want. I have single coils for both and like to have the neck clean but have the bridge pickup break up a bit when I dig in.

• Members

Wonderful amp that is not ricky bobby proof.

I think it was messed up.

Lacked balls which a 59 Bassman should not. Also the treble knob acted like a volume while the mid and bass knobs didn't do much of anything.

I tried new tubes but after an hour it was back to farting out and sounding weak. When I get a chance I'll post a clip of it that I took when the amp was starting to act up. Also, didn't take pedals well which I didn't try until day 2.

• Members

Sucks that you got a lemon, Ricky.

The '59 bassman is one of my all time favorite amps. It's like a jtm, only it has a big ass and smoother highs and it takes pedals better. What's not to love?

• Members

Sucks that you got a lemon, Ricky.

The '59 bassman is one of my all time favorite amps. It's like a jtm, only it has a big ass and smoother highs and it takes pedals better. What's not to love?

Check this vid and tell me if this sounds normal to you... I've played proper ones plenty of times, but didn't have another one to a/b with this one. it was just shrill and blatty.

[video=youtube;9qAU-T0EDgQ]

OP: This is NOT normal. Normally the '59 Bassman is a beast.

• Members

was that straight in????

Because if it was, it wasn't NEARLY loud enough. Not by half. In order to get that level of breakup, every bassman I've ever had has to be a thousand db and a half

and regardless of what was driving it, I've never played one that sounded "shrill"

• Members
was that straight in????

Because if it was, it wasn't NEARLY loud enough. Not by half. In order to get that level of breakup, every bassman I've ever had has to be a thousand db and a half

and regardless of what was driving it, I've never played one that sounded "shrill"

yeah, that was on 3 with no pedals on. It would play nice for the first 30 minutes to an hour, then spiral in to that 'tone'. I had never played a shrill bassman before either, or experienced a lack of balls.

the treble knob was acting like a volume control. :freak:

that was the confusing part. I wonder if someone had tried to mod it at some point... either way, it had serious issues.

oh, and it didn't take pedals well AT ALL. Dear God you would cringe if you heard what the fuzz pedal sounded like.

• Members

yeah, that was on 3 with no pedals on. It would play nice for the first 30 minutes to an hour, then spiral in to that 'tone'. I had never played a shrill bassman before either, or experienced a lack of balls.

the treble knob was acting like a volume control.
:freak:

that was the confusing part. I wonder if someone had tried to mod it at some point... either way, it had serious issues.

yo dawg, that thing was fuuuuuuucked :eek:

Did you try replacing the rectifier? It's not the SAME problem, but when mine started going, the headroom disappeared (crunch on 2 or 3 on the volume for example) but it never got shrill and nasty and NEVER EVER had the treble pot acting as a volume.

Was that the normal and bright channels that did that or did you have it jumpered the whole time? It could just be one side that was {censored}ed in that case.

And yeah, it sounds like there was supposed to be a mod at some point and it went south. Maybe someone was trying to mod the bright channel into a high gain channel or something?

• Members

I've got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe which I like, but I've been looking for something similar, but bit better that can push some more air with about the same level of headroom. This seems like its right up my ally.

you should get a triple rectifier.

• Members
yo dawg, that thing was fuuuuuuucked
:eek:

Did you try replacing the rectifier? It's not the SAME problem, but when mine started going, the headroom disappeared (crunch on 2 or 3 on the volume for example) but it never got shrill and nasty and NEVER EVER had the treble pot acting as a volume.

Was that the normal and bright channels that did that or did you have it jumpered the whole time? It could just be one side that was {censored}ed in that case.

And yeah, it sounds like there was supposed to be a mod at some point and it went south. Maybe someone was trying to mod the bright channel into a high gain channel or something?

I was about to go buy a new recto tube when I finally said f it. I had already sprung for new power tubes, pre amp tubes, and spent too much time dicking with an amp in the return period. It's not like they're rare.

Both channels acted the same, and jumping them didn't really change... well anything. The channels didn't seem to jump like I've always known amps to do. The whole thing acted strange. Bass and mid knob didn't do a damn thing, and the treble... ugh... it seriously acted like a volume knob. On 0 no sound came out, and at 9 o'clock or so the amp was clean no matter where the volumes were.

Oh well, got a refund so no harm no foul.

• Members

Maybe some caps had just started to go.

If the bias cap was gone, wouldn't that effect the way signal hit the front end?

Don't let this ruin bassman ownership for you, bobby. Of all the bassman amps i've owned, the '59 tweed is still the ballsiest IMO.

• Members
Maybe some caps had just started to go.

If the bias cap was gone, wouldn't that effect the way signal hit the front end?

not sure, but that is more than I was willing to try. I didn't even get a particularly good deal on it :(

It was just at the front of the store when I brought the Mesa back. Seemed like fate. Even paid a few hundred more for it over the ROV.

oh well.

• Members

not sure, but that is more than I was willing to try. I didn't even get a particularly good deal on it
:(

It was just at the front of the store when I brought the Mesa back. Seemed like fate. Even paid a few hundred more for it over the ROV.

oh well.

Dude, there are TWO on here that are $650 shipped or under right now.

• Members
Dude, there are TWO on here that are $650 shipped or under right now.

The Twin is $600 local, and the 1987x is $950 local...

I'm not opposed to another Bassman. I know that one wasn't normal, and in no wya represents the amp itself. I'm just more inclined to search local at the moment. Wasted enough time dicking with amp issues, ya know? Now I'm back to schlepping heavy ass amps to our sweet new jam spot. We sprung for the new spot so I wouldn't have to do that :(

• Members

The Twin is $600 local, and the 1987x is $950 local...

I'm not opposed to another Bassman. I know that one wasn't normal, and in no wya represents the amp itself. I'm just more inclined to search local at the moment. Wasted enough time dicking with amp issues, ya know? Now I'm back to schlepping heavy ass amps to our sweet new jam spot. We sprung for the new spot so I wouldn't have to do that
:(

*sigh* what a pain in the ass. You do tend to like brighter sounds, so the twin might do ya right. Of course, it might be over-the-top with the way you eq your {censored} and whatnot. And the 87x goes for ~1000 all day long, so it's not like it's a sweet deal. :idk:

I do hear you, though, about buying local when it comes to amps. I've yet to have a nightmare experience, but the stories of "so and so shipped me an amp and turns out SOMETHING was good and {censored}ed up" are many and common. Lot easier to deal with problems if you have somebody you can bitch at 10 or 15 miles away.

Archived