Ok so how would I do that snax matching thing

Spizzledude

• Members

So I would take my sound here:

http://soundcloud.com/zentman/900-match

then record this forum users real amp clip over USB into the snax to listen,

http://soundcloud.com/ejendres/more-jcm900

Then I play through my tone again and it matches the second one.

Here I just matched by ear but the new software would do all the fine EQ for me I guess.

I would like to hear it on some really good clips from Trainwreck or something.

• Members

So I would take my sound here:

then record this forum users real amp clip over USB into the snax to listen,

Then I play through my tone again and it matches the second one.

Here I just matched by ear but the new software would do all the fine EQ for me I guess.

Your tone sounds good, but it's considerably different from ejendre's tone. So if you were trying to match them, it didn't work. But it's a nice tone regardless.

You may hear a trainwreck later on this thread though, if it follows the natural course of the Snax threads.

• Members

Your tone sounds good, but it's considerably different from ejendre's tone. So if you were trying to match them, it didn't work. But it's a nice tone regardless.

You may hear a trainwreck later on this thread though, if it follows the natural course of the Snax threads.

No wasn't trying to match just an "in the ball park" tone as the new software suggests to do. I actually just pulled a tone that was similar no hour long tweak fest.

It would be from here I would attempt the tone match. I don't have that feature yet so I just posted what I have. Basically I just outlined how it will work.

• Members

easiest bestest way would be buy a kemper

Kemper doesn't do that. It matches amps. Which is way cool but not what this is about.

Here's some of the stuff you are starting to see come out in reviews about the Kemper. It's still beta and I can wait until they rack it and fix the bugs. The effects comments in this thread don't thrill me either:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1049652

• Members

I don't know if the alleged aliasing issues are really a bug. The user seemed to acknowledge it happens on extreme settings. I guess Kemper could limit the range on some of the settings, but to me it isn't a big deal. Claiming using an extreme setting results in aliasing is a bug is sort of like saying a delay is broken because self-oscillation is possible.

I can't comment on the effects yet, but I would like to hear more clips with effects and not just raw amp sounds. However, I'm more of a fan of rack gear and pedals for effects, so whether or not a unit has strong effects isn't important to me. I really wish Kemper would release a model with just amps, cabs, and reverb.

Oh yeah...The AxeFX and TGP sucks.

• Members

And thus, the crux of the difference between the new Axe feature and the Kemper.

Really you could use the Axe match on any two sound samples, and it wouldn't matter if one was completely clean and the other was completely distorted - it's only an EQ matching feature, so if you don't have a model that matches the amp to begin with, you're never even going to get close.

The Kemper actually maps the amps gain characteristics - not just the EQ.

Methinks that it will be a while before Cliff can ape the Kemper's functionality...but he's certainly doing his best to make it seem like it's just around the corner. It will be interesting to see how long it takes him to do something functionally similar to the Kemper...and he'd better get on it FAST, because those Germans are looking to take a nice chunk of his business.

• Members

And thus, the crux of the difference between the new Axe feature and the Kemper.

Really you could use the Axe match on any two sound samples, and it wouldn't matter if one was completely clean and the other was completely distorted - it's only an EQ matching feature, so if you don't have a model that matches the amp to begin with, you're never even going to get close.

The Kemper actually maps the amps gain characteristics - not just the EQ.

Methinks that it will be a while before Cliff can ape the Kemper's functionality...but he's certainly doing his best to make it seem like it's just around the corner. It will be interesting to see how long it takes him to do something functionally similar to the Kemper...and he'd better get on it FAST, because those Germans are looking to take a nice chunk of his business.

The Kemper has a built in dynamics engine. It mimics as best it can gain characteristics ( pretty damn good if you ask me). The dynamics are already in the box. The snax has dynamics engines built in too. It is now a matter of getting proper EQ curves in place. I'm pretty sure the 70 or so basic dynamic engines in place( amp models) could pretty much cover the basics for just about any amp out there. Most critics of the snax don't argue the dynamics, they argue the tone as in "modulating" or " plastic" or "high end artifacts".

That being said Fractal needs something a bit better than just EQ matching to do the amp capturing thing. What they just did is fine for recorded tones but seems to fall short on the whole profiling deal so far. Gonna wait and see what it is when it gets here. Hopefully by then Kemper has the rack and the bugs out.

• Members

Returned my Kemper... not for me at the moment... too much of a complete pain in the ass to use live and the interface is just god awful... half of the thing doesn't even work yet as well, though I admit I knew it was beta when I purchased it... will definitely own another in the future whenever they decide to rack mount it and work out the kinks.

....sorry to derail, clips sound good Zent.

• Members

Returned my Kemper... not for me at the moment... too much of a complete pain in the ass to use live and the interface is just god awful... half of the thing doesn't even work yet as well, though I admit I knew it was beta when I purchased it... will definitely own another in the future whenever they decide to rack mount it and work out the kinks.

....sorry to derail, clips sound good Zent.

Rack and kinks here as well. I can wait. Too much reading about that reboot stuff to gig with now.

The second clip is one of the forum users real Marshall. I was just posting up one of my Marshall tones as an example of how close you should probably get before trying the matching thing.

• Members

Rack and kinks here as well. I can wait. Too much reading about that reboot stuff to gig with now.

The second clip is one of the forum users real Marshall. I was just posting up one of my Marshall tones as an example of how close you should probably get before trying the matching thing.

Would be lying if I didn't say I wish I had my Axe-II back LoL... for live it just kills, and until I used the Kemper, it was just fine for recording... I will say the Kemper sounds better direct into a Daw right out of the gate, no question about that.

The tone matching stuff all seems cool, but it's just something Cliff is going to throw together before it's perfect then release 800 software updates claiming the most recent is now "TEH BAST!", meh, that Axe isn't a Kemper and he should move forward trying to make what it already does even better, or try and come up with something completely different.

I think I ended up being the guy that will make the thread go in a different direction, my bad.

• Members

Would be lying if I didn't say I wish I had my Axe-II back LoL... for live it just kills, and until I used the Kemper, it was just fine for recording... I will say the Kemper sounds better direct into a Daw right out of the gate, no question about that.

The tone matching stuff all seems cool, but it's just something Cliff is going to throw together before it's perfect then release 800 software updates claiming the most recent is now "TEH BAST!", meh, that Axe isn't a Kemper and he should move forward trying to make what it already does even better, or try and come up with something completely different.

I think I ended up being the guy that will make the thread go in a different direction, my bad.

No you're cool man. If he didn't do the matching thing I would be fine with it as is. It all started with a bunch of guys posting EQ matching threads at Fractal. Then the Kemper came and everybody wanted something easier then tweaking to get tones. He is doing it just to shut them up and of course steal some of Kemper's thunder back.

I think it will be cool to snag some tones off of clips rather than me trying to figure it our for an hour. I'll reserve judgment until I get to try it though. Same as amp matching which isn't here yet.

• Members

Yes, that will probably happen. LOL @ the level of your Bhz over teh Cliff and TGP.

As I've stated previously, with the economy like it is and the market for 2K plus guitar toys not being that big, Kemper may be taking a serious bite out of Fractal's sales and revenue. Hopefully, the company will be out of business by the end of 2012.

• Members

As I've stated previously, with the economy like it is and the market for 2K plus guitar toys not being that big, Kemper may be taking a serious bite out of Fractal's sales and revenue. Hopefully, the company will be out of business by the end of 2012.

Dude, have you SEEN the level of Bhz, and fanboism of the Fractal (maybe rightfully so) products? They ain't going anywhere that quickly.

• Members

So all of this because a mod who uses a product tried to stop a troll attack? Is your real life this {censored}ed up too? Stalk your ex's? Put dog poop on bosses porch? Angry much? Dude, you need help.

As long as some of the world's major players keep adding this thing to their racks, whether they use the modeling or not, this thing ain't disappearing any time soon. FYI

• Members

So all of this because a mod who uses a product tried to stop a troll attack?

It goes beyond that. The mod from TGP stopped the troll attack by banning those accounts at his website. His posts here indicated a belief that he had a right to control what takes place at other websites and, when motivated, feels justified in sharing users' IP addresses. In my mind, if someone will share IP addresses for one reason, they are likely to do so for many others.

So many MI companies exist that I can easily obtain what I want and avoid spending money with companies I dislike. In a free society, I'm able to encourage others to do the same, and you can criticize me for it (which I have no problem with). The issue is the mods at TGP have popped up on this forum multiple times in failed attempts to limit and control the conversations which take place here.

Ask yourself, why would the mods at one highly trafficked gear site take an active interest in trying to control what is said at another highly trafficked gear site?

• Members

As long as some of the world's major players keep adding this thing to their racks, whether they use the modeling or not, this thing ain't disappearing any time soon. FYI

This only makes a difference if it truly translates into increased sales and profits. Hopefully, it does not.

• Members

Think of it this way. Would you buy a piece of equipment made by someone who ass-raped little boys? I wouldn't. To me, what the mod from the TGP attempted at HCFX was a more heinous act than ass-raping multiple little boys (and let's be honest - ass raping little boys is about as horrid of a crime as a person could commit).

So, multiple posts criticizing a company and a forum = my reaction to people who have, to me, committed a act more disgusting than ass-raping little boys, which is about as low and disgusting of an act a person could commit.

Archived