WGS Retro 30 tricky to mic?

Mind Riot

• Members

I've got one of these in a 1x12 cab, micing with an SM57. Seems to be extremely sensitive to mic position, almost irritatingly sensitive. Seems to have a hump around 150-200hz according to spectral analysis.

Seems like I go from boomy to scratchy with a half an inch of movement. Sounds good in the room, but a bit frustrating trying to get down on disc.

Anyone got any tips or techniques?

• Members

pull the mic out about 8-12 inches, and aim it at the edge of the dustcap. if you need more treble, aim it more toward the center. if you need less, rotate it away from the dustcap.

see where you're at, and get back if you need help.

Thank you very much! Backing it off a bit does capture more of the overall tone rather than one tiny spot. It sounds much more balanced.

I've just got to do some more tweaking and see if I can get a tone that makes me want to keep the speaker. :)

• Members

Man, this speaker has the least amount of bass I've ever heard. The midrange and top end are complex and rich sounding, but it's seriously lacking low end.

I added some lows via my fx unit in the loop, but I hope it breaks in to sound a bit more even. Or I can just leave that EQ set that way.

I'm still within the return period, anybody got any suggestions for something similar but with more bass (from WGS)?

• Members

I'm not sure why..

But....

I feel....

Maybe...

User error.....

Is....

Perhaps....

Occurring.....

No offense.

1x12's dont deliver huge bass.

Closer micing gives more bass/proximity effect

Towards the edge of the speaker provides more bass in terms of mic position.

How long have you had the speaker?

It might not be broken in yet....

• Members

I'm not sure why..

But....

I feel....

Maybe...

User error.....

Is....

Perhaps....

Occurring.....

No offense.

1x12's dont deliver huge bass.

Closer micing gives more bass/proximity effect

Towards the edge of the speaker provides more bass in terms of mic position.

How long have you had the speaker?

It might not be broken in yet....

Thus far this cabinet has had the stock Jet City Eminence driver, an Eminence Swamp Thang, a WGS British Lead 80, and now this WGS Retro 30. All of the others had much more bass than the Retro 30.

While I do find micing the Retro 30 to be tricky (the 57's proximity effect is useful but having to mic that close is what I find makes this speaker so finicky), sometimes I'll start a thread just to see how others go about things, get some inspiration to try something else and maybe learn something. And sometimes I do forget what I later realize is an obvious solution. I slap my forehead and move on. :)

I've also been using modelers exclusively for the last couple years so I haven't been working with micing guitar cabs for a bit. It's all coming back to me, though. :thu:

• Members

Have you recorded the bass track yet? I wouldn't worry about the guitar having bass to it.

This is just the getting to know you stage, so to speak. I like to try a large variety of mic positions to make sure I'm getting the best out of a particular speaker before I commit to having it on a serious recording.

• Members

it takes a bit of beating to get an h30 to break in (if i'm not mistaken-- that's what a reaper is a copy of). they're bright and bitey, for sure-- but they do have some low end wallop-- but you have to work it hard for a while. put that thing face down and run bassy music through it overnight in the basement with a blanket over it and check it in the morning.

in a 112 though-- i use one open back- but in all seriousness- i kinda use it as a tweeter with a much bassier 112 ported cab. by itself, it's not the best bet for a 112 for heavy rock, in my opinion. a bl80 does much better for a flat, well balanced speak-- but it seems like you already tried that.

try scooting it in a bit too-- mic placement is pretty much everything.. so as you need more bass, move it in a bit. follow the same rules like before-- more to the center if it's too dark, rotate it outwards if you want more bass til you get it in balance.

• Members

it takes a bit of beating to get an h30 to break in (if i'm not mistaken-- that's what a reaper is a copy of). they're bright and bitey, for sure-- but they do have some low end wallop-- but you have to work it hard for a while. put that thing face down and run bassy music through it overnight in the basement with a blanket over it and check it in the morning.

in a 112 though-- i use one open back- but in all seriousness- i kinda use it as a tweeter with a much bassier 112 ported cab. by itself, it's not the best bet for a 112 for heavy rock, in my opinion. a bl80 does much better for a flat, well balanced speak-- but it seems like you already tried that.

try scooting it in a bit too-- mic placement is pretty much everything.. so as you need more bass, move it in a bit. follow the same rules like before-- more to the center if it's too dark, rotate it outwards if you want more bass til you get it in balance.

I really like the idea of the BL80; it sounded like it was right up my alley. But the one I bought was used and according to the seller had been gigged quite a bit. When I installed it it sounded way, way, extremely dark. Not sure if a new one would be that way, but this one really didn't sound like people had described.

I'm going to try to get this baby broken in, and adding some lows from my FX unit alleviates the problem. I'm enjoying the recorded tones I'm getting and I'm experimenting with distance and position.

I swear I'm not a noob, I've just been using PODs for a while, didn't even own an amp for a few years. :cop:

• Members

Thought I'd try the Retro30 in my Ear Candy 1x12.

I haven't heard yours but I'd say my Retro30 is fairly balanced with a nice bite. Not sure I'd say it's bottom light, but with the bite, it might not pair best with a bright amp.

Retro30 in a 1x12

Nice tone. Definitely has more bass than mine. I'm gonna keep on with it and try to break it in. :thu:

• Members

I really like the
idea
of the BL80; it sounded like it was right up my alley. But the one I bought was used and according to the seller had been gigged quite a bit. When I installed it it sounded way, way, extremely dark. Not sure if a new one would be that way, but this one really didn't sound like people had described.

I'm going to try to get this baby broken in, and adding some lows from my FX unit alleviates the problem. I'm enjoying the recorded tones I'm getting and I'm experimenting with distance and position.

I swear I'm not a noob, I've just been using PODs for a while, didn't even own an amp for a few years.
:cop:

aw man- it wouldn't matter if you WERE a noob. mic placement to get JUST what you hear is always a struggle- so don't even sweat it- just keep movin' the mic! :D

i'm surprised the bl80 was DARK-- i actually found mine pretty perfectly balanced. was that in the room it was too dark?

how loud are you recording, and with how much gain? could've been the mic was just too close too, and mebbe your bass was dialed in too high-- they can take a {censored}ton of it and not sweat-- so you can dump it at the eq and still have PLENTY in the room.

Archived