WOT: what is a good used BMX

Lucius

• Members

Looking for a decent used BMX for my 8 YO boy. Hope it has gyro, and pegs for some basic tricks. GT, redline?? SHould i just go to walmart and buy a crappy one or a decent used one?? This is his first BMX, but he is a studd riding his mountain bike. Cheers, Lucius

• Members

you could always just hit walmart and but a mongoose FS for cheap...if he really starts to get into it then get him a real bike..

my son has a 20" mongoose(wallyworld) that he doesn't even know how to ride yet and it's all hooked up..pegs,gyro,etc...we won it in a raffle..it's a 150 dollar bike we got it for $20...lol

• Members

DK General Lee is basically the mid-range bike.

AWESOME for beginners, still usable and moddable for pros.

When I was BMX racing and doing dirt courses I rode a Bagley 5 star I believe, it was heavy as balls but I have always had horse legs so I didn't mind, helped a lot with smooth landings over the big hill gaps.

actually, big time LOLZ, this bike used to cost 400-500 bucks. now it can be found at WAL MART :facepalm:

buy your kid this {censored}ing bike dude, seriously, they didn't even downgrade the chromoly cranks, those are $100 by themselves!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/DK-General-Lee-24-BMX-Bike/17012262?findingMethod=rr

• Members

When I was BMX racing and doing dirt courses I rode a Bagley 5 star I believe, it was heavy as balls but I have always had horse legs so I didn't mind, helped a lot with smooth landings over the big hill gaps.

actually, big time LOLZ, this bike used to cost 400-500 bucks. now it can be found at WAL MART
:facepalm:

buy your kid this {censored}ing bike dude, seriously, they didn't even downgrade the chromoly cranks, those are $100 by themselves!

WOW,DK are being sold by walmarts WTF is the world coming too...

• Members

Weight is a big factor on BMX bikes. Back in the day even the most expensive freestyle bikes weighed around 40 pounds because they didn't have the technology to make a really strong bike light.

These days they are able to make really strong bikes that weigh anywhere from 20+ pounds for a complete bike. As you can imagine-the lighter the bike the easier it is to handle (especially for a young kid).

I guess the main question is- will this bike be used just to ride back and forth to a friends house or will it be used for jumping and tricks? If it's going to get real use and abuse I would buy a complete bike from a place like dans competition online.

Here is a really decent bike IMO That weighs around 25 pounds

http://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES-Kink/102026/2012_Kink_Curb_Bike.html

And if you want to spend more the quality/ features get better ( as with most things).

• Members

actually, big time LOLZ, this bike used to cost 400-500 bucks. now it can be found at WAL MART
:facepalm:

This bike is a 24" and if you think it is anywhere in the same league as the $500 DK Gen. lee you be tripping me lad.

• Members

8 years old? Yeah whatever is the cheapest at Wal Mart, CL or something. If he sticks with that for an year, then get something better. If you are going to get top-notch stuff for everything your kid wants to try, you will be broke by the time he's 11.

Regards,

Parent of an 11 y.o.

• Members

8 years old? Yeah whatever is the cheapest at Wal Mart, CL or something. If he sticks with that for an year, then get something better. If you are going to get top-notch stuff for everything your kid wants to try, you will be broke by the time he's 11.

Regards,

Parent of an 11 y.o.

Wouldn't buy the best of anything unless he is paying for half of it. Cheers, Lucius

• Members

Weight is a big factor on BMX bikes. Back in the day even the most expensive freestyle bikes weighed around 40 pounds because they didn't have the technology to make a really strong bike light.

These days they are able to make really strong bikes that weigh anywhere from 20+ pounds for a complete bike. As you can imagine-the lighter the bike the easier it is to handle (especially for a young kid).

I guess the main question is- will this bike be used just to ride back and forth to a friends house or will it be used for jumping and tricks? If it's going to get real use and abuse I would buy a complete bike from a place like dans competition online.

Here is a really decent bike IMO That weighs around 25 pounds

And if you want to spend more the quality/ features get better ( as with most things).

Heh... I had a Haro Mirra Flair back in the day. That thing was a tank, but you're right, it was close to 40 pounds. I had lighter bikes with 1 pc cranks and 36 spoke wheels before that and none of them lasted very long...

• Members

What happened? When I was a kid, Mongoose was bad-ass. Now it's junk?

The only other names I remember right now are Redline, Haro, and Diamondback.

redline,haro,diamondback,hutch,GT,CW,kuwahara,general,MCS,Dyno...

my first real bike was a 86 white GT pro performer,then I got black Dyno pro comp

• Members

What happened? When I was a kid, Mongoose was bad-ass. Now it's junk?

The only other names I remember right now are Redline, Haro, and Diamondback.

walmart pretty much owns the entry level mongooses.

it's the stigma of having your name in a walmart, mongoose is still good {censored}.

• Members

walmart pretty much owns the entry level mongooses.

it's the stigma of having your name in a walmart, mongoose is still good {censored}.

Yeah but those kids get beat up for having one. Their Mom's and Dad's friends despise Walmart and tell all their kids to hate anyone else with a Walmart bike or toy.

• Members

Yeah but those kids get beat up for having one. Their Mom's and Dad's friends despise Walmart and tell all their kids to hate anyone else with a Walmart bike or toy.

yeah, but i tell the parents EXACTLY what they want to hear...

buy your kids a mongoose, it will never get stolen.

• Members

Redline...light, fast and well made...I've got one that I ride with the kids

I am a Freestyle guy too. I still have A Bully "if anyone knows what that is" and it has Flight Cranks, a bashguard and I also Have 96 spoke custom wheels on it that were made by hand. I think the bike was 3600.00 in the day. My 14 yr old rides it and he is happy as hell with it. He tells me all the time that his friends are "flipped out" with the wheels, They are 96 spoke perigrine rims.

Archived