Official HCAF Cycling thread

paul88lx

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good thread! I spent the winter on spin bikes but have managed to put in about 350 actual road miles so far this year. Riding a Cannondale R8 that I've had for about 7 years now. I haven't done any of COs hard climbs yet this year but if we get some nice weather next weekend I'm hoping to tackle one next weekend. The 63 miles Golden Gate Canyon loop has been calling my name since last summer.

• Members

Went out for 10. Wind did not kill me, only torture and maim. :lol:

However, did a bit of light lifting afterwords and now am enjoying burrito like objects that are quite tasty.

Every time I actually go ride I wonder "why is it so hard to get my ass to do this? I love it!" Thanks for starting this thread OP! :thu:

• Members

I just got back into biking after a 4 year hiatus.. not road cycling though, I'm really into freeride, 4x, light downhill, heavy XC, stuff like that.

Found an Evil Imperial frame for sale a few months ago and have spent the time since building it up. It's pretty much ready to go but the trails here are still wet and {censored}ty from winter. Soon, though. Getting antsy.

• Members

dsc09682.jpg

here's my ride-- and a silly blog article about it :D. http://chasingmailboxes.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/bikes-to-like-dans-1987-trek-330-elance/

i ride a bunch when i can, and commute to work on a different bike when i can. all my bikes are funky amalgams of 9-10 speed drivetrains and old steel frames ('cause i'm old..) for most riding, but i still have an old vitus 979 with c-record that needs to get off mothballs.. but a 42/52 with a 15-19 5 speed freewheel is kinda {censored}ty for the hilly place where i live. :D

i'm up at 5 am tomorrow for the commute on a 1985 fuji del rey. which i spent the afternoon yesterday putting a new set of nitto noodles and a sharp pair of shimano aero levers on.

• Members

MTB guys. I have a late 90s Alpha Omega dualie mountain bike. Got it for a SONG at the Crested Butte Fat Tire festival back in the day. However, its now...OMG, 14 years old. The frame is slightly too small, and I don't like/need the dual suspension part of it.

What are the chances I could buy a used frame, or an inexpensive one from Nashbar or something and swap the parts over to have a hardtail?

AFAIK its still in 100% working condition, I need to drag it out, clean it up, and check it over, but I don't want to spend the money on a new bike that I'll use just a few times a year if that.

*Should just be happy if its still in working order and suck it up and deal* :facepalm:

edit: newholland that is sexy! I love steel frames. I don't think I'd ever get a road bike that wasn't steel. I need to start scouring for an old touring bike frame as my Waterford is awesome, but it isn't really designed for weekend or overnight trips. :lol:

• Members

I just did a hilly 55 miler today solo in about 2.5 hrs. I'm looking forward to a full carbon fiber bike upgrade in the next couple of months. My Specialized Roubaix is good for riding all day but not really zippy when I'm trying to hang with the peloton. I haven't decided what I'll get. Christ, bikes are so expensive these days in the competition category. You just about have to mortgage the house in order to afford something worthwhile.

Roubaix002.jpg

• Members

That's a pretty wide open question. Do want to just go fast(Road Bike)? Do you want to play in the dirt(Mountain Bike)? Or both? Any bike will help you burn calories.......As long as you ride it faithfully. Plus, it's much easier on your joints compared to running.

Specify so we can help you.

I want a comfy bike to go on long rides on pavement with. I wanna have fun and go fast around my neighborhood because there isn't much traffic

• Members

I bought my road bike a couple of summers ago and unfortunately haven't gone out too many times... It rides nice for a Clydesdale like myself! I ended up getting one of these, as I felt it was great bang for the buck for my first road bike...

20110925_191031.jpg

So far I have changed out by crank and bottom bracket to an FSA Gossamer crankset, put on a Nashbar all carbon seatpost, a Nashbar all carbon stem, Shimano brakes (that are non-labeled either 105 or Ultegra quality - I can't remember which right now), Shimano M540 pedals, a Performance Bicycle all carbon handlebar, as well as a Performance Bicycle saddle that I really like as well!

I need to get out and do some riding this summer! I love how fast I can go on this thing!!!

Cole

• Members

Bought a Cannondale CAAD9 in June of 2009. I have done 1250 miles each summer for the last 2 years. I want to get closer to 1800 this year. Between bands, kids, work etc its a juggling act but I can do it. Im slow as {censored} as my usual 25 mile loop takes me about 80 minutes to complete. Ill never race but I will ride until Im too old to do it anymore.....hopefully about 35 years from now....

• Members

I have a giant tcr road and a cervelo P3C time trial bike, both 2006 models. I took 3 months off of everything including swimming and running and restored a boat I had sitting for a while. I tried riding with the big dogs last thursday and it took me 2 days for my heart rate to stabilize. My max is 189bpm and this says I hit 192.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/167453392

• Members

I have a giant tcr road and a cervelo P3C time trial bike, both 2006 models. I took 3 months off of everything including swimming and running and restored a boat I had sitting for a while. I tried riding with the big dogs last thursday and it took me 2 days for my heart rate to stabilize. My max is 189bpm and this says I hit 192.

I have no idea where my heart rate is going to land. I am way out of cycling shape.

That's a interesting device you are using. I may bite the bullet and get something like it.

• Members

If you mean the garmin 310xt, it is a pretty good training tool. It is now an outdated device and therefore you wouldnt pay what I had to for it. A garmin 305 which you can get for really cheap will record heart rate/pace and everything so you can go back and look later and is probably the best pick for anybody training without a power meter. You can get them off amazon now for about $125 or less, so totally worth it. I would have stuck with that except I train with a power meter so that I know exactly my threshold to hold on pace for race day. Garmin didnt update power meter reading until the 310 model.

• Members

Cool. I'll do more research when I get to work. It'll be a bit before I invest in some kind of metering device. I've got some mechanical stuff to do first. Once the bike is tuned and tight, I'll make that move. So for now, I'll be riding known distances against the clock and my Tip-toe Dyno.

• Members

I wanna play! Last summer, I started bike commuting to work. 10 miles each way, through the heart of the ghetto. I was, understandably, kinda nervous. However, it's been nothing but a fantastic experience. I've had no trouble at all, and I've started to get back into shape.

I don't have a fancy bike. I still ride an old steel-frame Specialized Rockhopper (no suspension.) It's a grimy old POS, but it's rock solid, and it's a lot of fun to ride. Very light and responsive. Kevlar tires to combat the broken glass, etc. on the ghetto roads. :lol:

Archived