Mark III vs SLX Iphone video

Tommy Horrible

• Members

Based on that clip, i greatly prefered the Mk III.

Better clarity

The SLX also seemed like it had a lot more gain running
maybe too much?

About the same gain. It's that graphic EQ. The Mark III sounds almost exactly like SLX without that engaged, it takes care of that congested quality both amps have.

• Members

I can't tell much but I like "both", still the mesa was less clear but much more mid heavy which I prefer. You can of course tell me how they sound in the room!

Half power? Did you flick the switch on the back to class A on the mark III? Is it simul-class (which would mean 36 something watts or less on pseudo class-A for only the EL34s, triode, unless it is the green dot with only pentode mode and more watts) or is it a 60/100 head and you are just running 6L6's?

Sounds like a mark though, the iphone kind of perplexes things!

• Members

I do my videos with an Iphone too
:)
I have a video using the Irig mic if u are interested in micin that cab...it works

/

/

/

If you look in the pic I've got a sm57 and md421 set up for recording my bands demo we just did, but for these {censored}ty vids I like the room sound, I'm not trying to make it sound good, just real.

• Members

I can't tell much but I like "both", still the mesa was less clear but much more mid heavy which I prefer. You can of course tell me how they sound in the room!

Half power? Did you flick the switch on the back to class A on the mark III? Is it simul-class (which would mean 36 something watts or less on pseudo class-A for only the EL34s, triode, unless it is the green dot with only pentode mode and more watts) or is it a 60/100 head and you are just running 6L6's?

Sounds like a mark though, the iphone kind of perplexes things!

The mark iii is a 60/100 simul class with a half power switch on the front that activates only the outer tubes which are el34s.

• Members

Weird I thought that the 60/100 were 6L6's only, I may be wrong. So what the mark does here, is actually two EL34s for 50-60 watts similart to what the SL-X does?

Correct, it's a 60/100 simul class. El 34s on the outside, 6l6s on the inside. In half power mode only the outside 2 tubes are on. Google the mark 3 manual, it's all in there. You made me re read it last night to make sure I was right lol

• Members

It's a mislabel dude. The 60/100 is only for the all 6L6 non-simul heads. If it's a simul-class head, it runs 75 watts normal and then half power is actually class A for the EL34s in 15 watts, unless it's a green stripe then it's 85 watts full power, 25 watts class A on the EL34s. Even if the switch is labeled 60/100, if it's a simul-class head the modes I listed are correct. I've had a few Mark III's and researched them thoroughly. Either way though, doesn't sound bad through the iPhone camera, all things considered. Both heads sound pretty f-in sweet.

• Members
It's a mislabel dude. The 60/100 is only for the all 6L6 non-simul heads. If it's a simul-class head, it runs 75 watts normal and then half power is actually class A for the EL34s in 15 watts, unless it's a green stripe then it's 85 watts full power, 25 watts class A on the EL34s. Even if the switch is labeled 60/100, if it's a simul-class head the modes I listed are correct. I've had a few Mark III's and researched them thoroughly. Either way though, doesn't sound bad through the iPhone camera, all things considered. Both heads sound pretty f-in sweet.

Word, I looked back at the manual. Is it possible mine got modded along the way to be a 60/100 and Simul class? Because that's how it's labeled, and that's how it sounds. I've got a Mark IV and it sounds like when you run it in penitode class A full power for sure. But hay, I've been wrong before. Check out these pics.

0DCA15F9.jpg

22CB574C.jpg

9E9374B2.jpg

Archived