I'm going to start a HSS strat project...

guitarbilly74

• Members

So Loop's thread about his Squier strats inspired me to start a little HSS strat project with parts I have laying around at home. I went through my parts box last night and these are the parts I set aside to use on it:

HSS pre-wired Mighty Mite pickguard (no idea what it sounds like lol I got it from a freind and never tried it)

Ibanez hardtail string through bridge

LSR roller nut

Gotoh Magnum Kluson-style locking tuners (they're gold though and the rest of the hardware is chrome :lol:)

So the idea is to get a cheap Bullet/Affinity hardtail strat and add all these parts and see what happens :lol: I'm going buy a strat tonight after work and start working on it tomorrow. :)

CSB.

• Members

The one Squier I was gonna do that with many years ago was a plywood body. I couldn't get over that fact. Not sure if they still are the same today, but that's a deal breaker for me. Plus the fretwork usually needs a level.. If you can do that, then you might be able to make it a decent guitar.. Otherwise I've never been satisfied polishing a turd, as they say.. In fact I'm looking at A Squier neck right now and the fretwork is atrocious. I probably will refret it if I ever decide to use it..

• Members

should be a lot of fun, i really like my hss strat. tones of tonal options.

its weird you rarely see them with the bucker in the neck and the 2 single coils in the middle and bridge. why is that i wonder?

• Members

Here is a Partcaster I built a couple years ago. Body and neck are both MIM but purchased seperately and like 2 years apart. Pickguard is a prewired EMG deal and all the hardware is GFS. Came out pretty well, IMO. Want to try and do a Tele next.

IMAGE_087.jpg

• Members

I want to do something a bit similar, though unfortunately I've really been wanting a very nice/expensive neck with SS frets and don't have the money for it. :D Sounds like a cool project, especially since you already have the parts. :cool:

• Members

I got a black pearloid HSS pickguard that came with my EMG Luke set if you want it.
:thu:

:thu: I will keep that in mind. The pre-wired guard I have is white pearloid with white pickups so it looks really good. I am hoping to find a white squier for a good price, that would be really cool.

• Members

Quick google search indicates they are made of plywood or laminated hardwood, if you want..

I would buy a cheap Mighty Mite neck for around $120(stew Mac Carries them, but I'm sure you can find it on Ebay for cheaper), scour Ebay for a MiM Strat body, prolly could be had for $50-80.. Way better quality.. You just don't seem like the guy who would be happy with a {censored} laminate Squier with some hardware upgrades

• Members

If you're not hung up on the headstock shape, I would urge you to consider a Carvin neck. Got one on my HSS and love it. I got jumbo stainless frets on mine and there's no going back. Say what you will about Carvin but their fretwork is unrivaled in consistency. They also come standard with ebony boards and well cut Graphtech nuts.

• Members

Quick google search indicates they are made of plywood or laminated hardwood, if you want..

I would buy a cheap Mighty Mite neck for around $120(stew Mac Carries them, but I'm sure you can find it on Ebay for cheaper), scour Ebay for a MiM Strat body, prolly could be had for $50-80.. Way better quality.. You just don't seem like the guy who would be happy with a {censored} laminate Squier with some hardware upgrades

It seems like the ones made before '08 were plywood but the new ones are solid basswood. Buying Mighty Mite parts is not out of question, but the Squiers I've seen/played recently sounded really decent.

• Members

Here is a Partcaster I built a couple years ago. Body and neck are both MIM but purchased seperately and like 2 years apart. Pickguard is a prewired EMG deal and all the hardware is GFS. Came out pretty well, IMO. Want to try and do a Tele next.

IMAGE_087.jpg

That's really cool. If I like the way the guitar plays, I will probably get a set of EMGs for it later on :)

• Members

Found a white hardtail Squier for $60
:lol:
I am going to pick it up during lunch and start to work on it tonight
:)

I despise the necks on those things man. The tiny nut width is the worst.

• Members

That'll fix the string spacing but that neck will still be tiny.

and it will still be $60 :lol: If I like the way the guitar sounds I can get a better body and neck later, I am just tired to have all these parts in my gear drawer without being used :)

Archived