What has taken the place of a good smack in todays society of raising kids?

Lucius

• Members

Its not like I hate my pops for giving me a crack upside the cabbage, but I could never hit my little dudes and they seem to be turning out alright. I seem to recall my pops calling me an idiot when I was being an idiot, again not good for the self esteem or was it?? Sure taught me not to be an idiot lol. What say you? Signed confused PC parent??? Cheers, Lucius

• Members

I came from a hardcore background Lucious, one I wouldnt wish on anyone. I have smacked my kid in the ass on 3 separate occasions. Running out in to the street here in NYC when he was 2, grabbing for a hot pot on the stove and for playing with an electrical outlet. Admittedly, that was out of fear...

Since then, I have never smacked him. All I have to do is look at him and say something and he falls right in line without a moments hesitation. Sometimes, I dont have to say a word, one look and he gets the message.

Kage

• Members

I was only spanked twice as a kid. My mom always had that look. not like a "oh {censored}, I am gonna get buried" look, but it was a "{censored}, I let her down" look... that would kill me, even as a really young kid.

that said, there are plenty of kids out there today that NEED a quick smack upside the head... then again, maybe they wouldnt be like that if their parents actually knew how to PARENT.

• Members

taking away their gadgets?

I think Kenny had it with that "I let her down" comment. That was always the worst feeling I had if I let my parents down. Kage, you're doing a great job raising your little dude despite your situation growing up. The fact that you broke that hardcore cycle speaks loads of the man you actually are and how great your little guy is going to be Kudos mate, I respect you alot. Cheers, Lucius

• Members

taking away their gadgets?

That works pretty well (taking away the ipod, computer and tv). I have been close to not letting mine attend slumber parties when they really ass up but they tend to listen when they have no distractions (ie ipod, computer, tv...).

• Members

I was only spanked twice as a kid. My mom always had that look. not like a "oh {censored}, I am gonna get buried" look, but it was a "{censored}, I let her down" look... that would kill me, even as a really young kid.

that said, there are plenty of kids out there today that NEED a quick smack upside the head... then again, maybe they wouldnt be like that if their parents actually knew how to PARENT.

So well said. I gave up on spanking my kids over 10 years ago. I just couldn't do it AND it proved to be completely ineffective. I would rather gain their respect, show them that I respect them, and then let them know when they have let me down. My kids are amazing so something must be working. In face, my middle son is the one that OTHER PARENTS ask over for play dates so that their kids have a positive influence. :thu:

• Members

I spanked my son's butt once when he was younger, just so he knew the option was on the table. :lol: Now all I have to do is look at him with disapproval and he will stop immediately. I also sometimes threaten to take his video game and cell phone away. Now THAT'S effective lol

• Members

Taking away gadgets. Those are the things they love.

Kind of funny, we were talking to our little one at dinner last night, about another kid who is pretty defiant to her parents, and gets away with it.

So, my teenager says, "if that were me, my butt would be nailed up on the wall, right there, right above the TV".

I guess we're doing a decent job. :lol:

• Members

Taking away gadgets. Those are the things they love.

Kind of funny, we were talking to our little one at dinner last night, about another kid who is pretty defiant to her parents, and gets away with it.

So, my teenager says, "if that were me, my butt would be nailed up on the wall, right there, right above the TV".

I guess we're doing a decent job.
:lol:

Definitely! I actually love it when my kids complain about how badly other kids treat their parents.

• Members

My mom swatted me any number of times, not just in the butt, either. My dad claimed he never hit me but I remember him giving me one shot in the butt when I was about 3, so I guess the memory was stronger with me than him. Yet whose anger and disappointment did I fear most? Dad's. Whose respect did I need most and respect most? His. The one who hardly ever hit, and not for the last 44 years of his life. (I was born when he was 40).

• Members

In my case, it's a pretty wide difference from my youth and how I treat them.. Because I was hit. Hit with belts, wooden spoons, etc.. I've prolly spanked my 2 kids a dozen times between them.. My kids are both a little older now 11 and 14.. So spanking isn't really an option, but no doubt my son will push his luck a lot farther than I used to.. I ain't gonna lie, I will threaten a beat down to him.. I hope I never have to do it, but sometimes words don't work..sometimes they just won't shut their mouth..

The looks and all that work to some degree, but when the situation gets beyond "the look" there isn't much that will accomplish what a swift smack would do. I knew when I pushed my parents, that there was a line and when I crossed it, I got hurt.. No doubt it's effective..

I basically, instead of smacking have resorted to brutal honesty.. I tell them exactly the situation and what their decisions might turn out.. There is no sugar coating in my house.. Not sure if it works.. For the most part we get along pretty good.. Generally, we smile and laugh everyday, but they are both entering years in which their lives and hormones are in full effect. Arguments happen as well..

• Members

In response to the question in your thread title?

Lawsuits.

Because apparently a smack to the rear is labeled child abuse to some nutjobs.
:idk:

There are two sides to the coin. There are those that are legitimately disciplining their child and sensitive suzies cry foul. And then there are people who knock their kids out in the name of discipline and can't seem to understand why people are upset by it.

Archived