Black TUSQ nuts

guitarbilly74

• Members

I think my epiphone I knocked the nut out to change it, then decided to put the stock back in because I didn't want to go through all the effort.

It's still loose. Works fine. No noticable tone loss. It is an epiphone, but, I did change out the electronics...

• Members

1-Remove the old one (I used a jeweler's mini screwdriver to lift it off the neck) .

2- Drop in the new one, use the high and low E strings to line it up. Make some notes or marks so you know the correct alignment.

3-Take the nut off, apply 2 small drops of super glue to the bottom of it and put it back in the neck slot. Let the glue dry for a minute or 2. Re-string the guitar. Done.

I use glue stick...you know the stuff for paper....it holds it in place and is easy to remove...super glue is gonna take out some wood...that is not good.

• Members

I like the pre slotted Tusqs. Put them in two of my strats and the both play like new. I think they sound a bit louder acoustically. The nuts that come on MIMs are absolute garbage. They also look better, on my one strat the ends of the nut were hanging off the edge of the neck and it looked kinda sloppy.

• Members

I've done a bunch as well.. And to make a nut from just a square blank does indeed take some time, patience and skill..

Personally I like bone.. Granted the only difference one would every hear is on the open strings, but I do feel with bone I get a bit more vibrant open strings.. Plus I use the unbleacheD bone, which is bit harder than the bleached white bone. I don't particularly like the look of it, but its hardness is apparent to me and usually I can get the slots of the unbleached bone to be super smooth which yields better tuning..

I've use the regular tusq and the black tusq and both are fine, but I don't find the black tusq to be what they say.. They mention it has graphite or some lubricant impregnated in the material and if anything I've had to work the slots more to get it to not get stuck strings, or the string"squeaks" that you hear when a string isn't moving effortlessly thru the slot..

And even though a stock slotted nut may be good as far a string height, I find its pretty rare that its exactly where I want it.. It should be close enough for rock n roll without modification, but nuts are very personalized things! :-) and, like Assy, I'll make sure I get it perfect.. I think many players don't take into account the myriad of problems a poor nut height can produce..

• Members

And even though a stock slotted nut may be good as far a string height, I find its pretty rare that its exactly where I want it.. It should be close enough for rock n roll without modification, but nuts are very personalized things! :-) and, like Assy, I'll make sure I get it perfect.. I think many players don't take into account the myriad of problems a poor nut height can produce..

I don't buy the pre-slotted ones. I'd rather figure out the string spacing myself. However, I have had to install more than a few pre-slotted nuts and there has never been an occasion that i haven't had to work on them to get proper string height. IMO, they are always too high.

• Members

You can lower the height on a pre-slotted nut without having to file anything, just sand down the bottom of the nut until the height is right for you.

But I would like to hear more about complicated solutions to problems I don't have :)

• Members
You can lower the height on a pre-slotted nut without having to file anything, just sand down the bottom of the nut until the height is right for you.

But I would like to hear more about complicated solutions to problems I don't have
:)

while this is true, it does nothing for slot width and shape.

• Members

:idk:
The width and shape of the slots were just fine for me right out the box. I use a standard 10-46 set and it fits perfectly.

Yup. I'm not saying it's a problem for everyone, but when you work on other peoples guitars, they tend to use different things. I do a lot of work for a lot of metal bands. 11/12/13 gauge strings are not uncommon.

Besides. Not gonna argue with you. As i said, i prefer the Graphtech stuff. I'm just a picky bastard and I want me to slot the nuts so I can do optimal spacing for each guitar and not some odd spacing that some German guy decided was right ;)

• Members

But I would like to hear more about complicated solutions to problems I don't have
:)

Lol, I'm aware on how to adjust a pre slotted nut.. I don't think I mentioned filing anything. When I bought the black tusq it was unslotted, so that did require filing..

I was just pointing out that its rare I find its perfect.. And I've done my share of nut replacements being that I build and repair guitars on the side.... Glad you don't have a problem, but that's not to say your experience is the most common.. You got another builder in Atrox echoing what I was saying, so maybe there is something to be said..

• Members

Well, I am not arguing with anything, I am sure a skilled luthier can do a great job. I am just bringing in a player's perspective, not everyone here has the necessary skills or want to spend 60-100 to replace a nut.

I am just saying there are ways for the average guy to DIY that will work just fine.

• Members

Well, I am not arguing with anything, I am sure a skilled luthier can do a great job. I am just bringing in a player's perspective, not everyone here has the necessary skills or want to spend 60-100 to replace a nut.

I am just saying there are ways for the average guy to DIY that will work just fine.

agreed

Archived