What pedal would you suggest for my Marshall JCM 900 MkIII?

colejustesen

• Members

I have found that my MkIII is very responsive to the pedals in front of it and adapts to the coloring of the pedal very well. I am looking for a heavier vibe that would sound better for modern hard rock/metal.

I have a Lovekraft Mojo Drive that sounds awesome, it is a tube screamer type pedal that just sounds amazing for leads, as it just cuts wonderfully. I also have a Danalectro Cool Cat OD ver.1, which is supposed to be a Fulltone OCD clone, that has some more grit to it that works well for rhythm work.

I have recently tried a Keeley modified Boss Metal Zone which sounded alright (as long as the gain was kept low), though I was impressed with the way my amp responded to it and the pedal's sound/character. That being said, I would like to get a pedal that responds like a tube amp that has a modern character to it. I have been looking at the Hardwire TL2, T-Rex Bloody Mary, and the Rocktron Third Angel Distortion. I am not looking to get all my gain from the pedal, as I have my amp setup to be just on the verge of overdrive crunch. I would use the pedal to push the amp just a tad bit further, but mostly like I said I am looking for that modern character.

Do any of you have some suggestions on what pedal would get me that character?

EDIT: I was also looking at the AMT Drive stuff, more specifically the E-Drive and B-Drive.

Cole

• Members

I forgot about that one, that actually is a pretty good sounding OD! Isn't there another MXR pedal that has a switch that allows it to go between it and the ZW OD?

Cole

The Classic Overdrive has an internal trim pot for going between the ZW and GT-OD. I've seen one modded with an external switch at a local pawn.

• Members

Cole

It sounds like you definitely have things set up for an '80s sound and sounds great for it. When going for a more modern sound, I recommend first getting rid of the delay, then adjust the eq settings a bit. If that's not enough, it might be easier to stick with the tube screamer but to also try an eq pedal in the loop (the Behringer Fish & Chips is a good but very cheap one to try though also cheaply built) where it can make a huge difference in the tone department.

• Members

Cole

Honestly that doesn't much at all like mine hit with the TS808. :lol: That sounds very 80's and I get mine into more modern hardrock/hardcore territory.

What are your settings for the amp and pedal? And what are your pickups?

• Members

It sounds like you definitely have things set up for an '80s sound and sounds great for it. When going for a more modern sound, I recommend first getting rid of the delay, then adjust the eq settings a bit. If that's not enough, it might be easier to stick with the tube screamer but to also try an eq pedal in the loop (the Behringer Fish & Chips is a good but very cheap one to try though also cheaply built) where it can make a huge difference in the tone department.

I should mention that I have an MXR 6 band eq in the loop too,boosting the lows and lower mids a bit. I probably need to mess around with the eqs a bit, but I figured that I could use the pedal out front to help color the sound (as I have a switching system that lets me choose different presets I have setup based on the pedals that I have) and use the amp as my foundation, and build upon it.

Cole

• Members

If you're willing to run the amp totally clean, check out the Barber Dirty Bomb.

GREAT Pedal. It does the CTE/Youthanasia Megadeth tone really well.

dude, to run a JCM900 perfectly clean it has to be QUIET. I actually was just jamming on mine. Set the preamp clean at 5 on the MV and you can talk over it, dime the master and it gets loud but theres a bunch of power amp distortion. It sounds good, but the only way to run it clean at volume is to roll of the guitar volume

• Members

Honestly that doesn't much at all like mine hit with the TS808.
:lol:
That sounds very 80's and I get mine into more modern hardrock/hardcore territory.

What are your settings for the amp and pedal? And what are your pickups?

Presence - 2

Bass - 7

Mids - 7

Treble - 4

Sensitivity - 10

Preamp Volume - 5

Mojo Drive:

Gain: 9 o'clock

Tone: 11 o'clock

Volume: 11 o'clock

Bill Lawrence L90 pickups (6.0H)

Cole

• Members

$30 dollar used boss SD1 with a couple of caps & resistors changed. $5.00 trip to rado shack & 30 minutes with a soldering iron

Or boost it using an EQ as a booster

I was using a Keeley modified DS1 for a while and it sounded good, but really similar to my Mojo Drive. Is the SD1 more modern sounding than the DS1?

Cole

• Members

When I had Eli's amp, I tried to boost it with a Fulltone OCD, Ibanez TS-9, Boss SD-1 and MXR Micro Amp (clean boost). I liked the Micro Amp better, followed by the SD-1. The OCD sounded best when I set the amp for a nearly clean tone and used the OCD as the main OD.

I did not like the TS-9 at all, but mainly because I use V30s and the TS-9 also adds a lot of mids, so combined with the V30s it sounded too boxy. But I would probably feel different if I was using say, 75's.

• Members

When I had Eli's amp, I tried to boost it with a Fulltone OCD, Ibanez TS-9, Boss SD-1 and MXR Micro Amp (clean boost). I liked the Micro Amp better, followed by the SD-1. The OCD sounded best when I set the amp for a nearly clean tone and used the OCD as the main OD.

I did not like the TS-9 at all, but mainly because I use V30s and the TS-9 also adds a lot of mids, so combined with the V30s it sounded too boxy. But I would probably feel different if I was using say, 75's.

I used to have the MXR MC-401 CAE Clean boost, but I gave it to a friend, because he loved it and he had given me quite a bit. Have you compared the Micro Amp to the CAE Clean Boost?

Cole

• Members

I was using a Keeley modified DS1 for a while and it sounded good, but really similar to my Mojo Drive. Is the SD1 more modern sounding than the DS1?

Cole

Never used a DS1, but an SD1 can be made to sound modern. There's a couple of Zener Diodes that can be replaced with LED's that will make it more dynamic . That goes nice with the cap changes for more bass. Less nasal, more balls, & more punch and more clarity. Capable of old school stuff & modern stuff.

Some easy DIY mods can turn an SD1 into a killer OD thats easy on the wallet .

• Members

I used to have the MXR MC-401 CAE Clean boost, but I gave it to a friend, because he loved it and he had given me quite a bit. Have you compared the Micro Amp to the CAE Clean Boost?

Cole

I tried both and they basically sounded the same to me, but I did not have the chance to try them side by side so I was just going by memory. Still, I didn't notice any major differences. Both pedals are great clean boosts.

• Members

Presence - 2

Bass - 7

Mids - 7

Treble - 4

Sensitivity - 10

Preamp Volume - 5

Mojo Drive:

Gain: 9 o'clock

Tone: 11 o'clock

Volume: 11 o'clock

Bill Lawrence L90 pickups (6.0H)

Cole

Try this:

IMG_20120515_113209.jpg

IMG_20120515_113215.jpg

IMG_20120515_113226.jpg

And most importantly (for now) pull that EQ out of the loop and jump it (plug the out into the in) and set the level to about there.

IMG_20120515_113642.jpg

now you have much lower output pickups then me, so you might wanna up the gain a bit on the amp or the pedal. That should get ya close man. I can do a clip if you like.

• Members

The TS does add some mids but I think its heavenly not boxy :p

if I was using a quartet of V30s it'd be different, but the ET65s are a bit more scooped and bigger sounding so it all works out.

• Members

Another option you may look at, if wanting to keep the 80's sound, but wanting something "modern sounding" would be something like a Parametric EQ. Keep your "core tone" , but enhance the frequencies with the parametric EQ. (add bass & treble, and tighten it up). Or perhaps a BBE Sonic Stomp or Aphex Aural Xciter.

just a thought.

• Members

Another option you may look at, if wanting to keep the 80's sound, but wanting something "modern sounding" would be something like a Parametric EQ. Keep your "core tone" , but enhance the frequencies with the parametric EQ. (add bass & treble, and tighten it up). Or perhaps a
BBE Sonic Stomp
or Aphex Aural Xciter.

just a thought.

No, for the love of god. No.

• Members

Another option you may look at, if wanting to keep the 80's sound, but wanting something "modern sounding" would be something like a Parametric EQ. Keep your "core tone" , but enhance the frequencies with the parametric EQ. (add bass & treble, and tighten it up). Or perhaps a BBE Sonic Stomp or Aphex Aural Xciter.

just a thought.

I have heard that the BBE Sonic Stomp actually sounds really good with the JCM900s... I might have to look into one of these... Thanks!

Cole

Archived