downsizing/quitting/selling

guitarbilly74

• Members

I've got ZERO gear these days. Literally. After Confused Little Girl ended, that took a lot out of me. All respect to blood brother Dolf, but that was almost without question MY baby. Almost everything we ever did was my doing. So I need to take a step back and breathe and figure out everything else in my life. I plan on moving to New Orleans before my birthday this year, and once I get settled there I'm going to be re-building a rig and starting a solo band. But right now music has no place in my life other than something to listen to.

• Members

I see downsizing as being counter-productive because all the gear I have now is gear that I would want to own once I'm done school and since my amps and cabs are custom and/or hard to come by, I would be taking more of a loss on the sale and re-purchase of said gear than I would paying interest in student loans for the equivalent value. That, and I get to actually {censored}ing USE IT in the mean time.

It's a little spread out and I wish I had everything in one place, at my disposal, but I still own it and still get to play.

• Members

hey I meant to ask you the other day, how do you compare the GH50L vs. the LH50R?

They are very different amps. LH50 has a legitimately good clean channel voiced something like a cross between Fender and HiWatt. The gain channel is more open sounding than the GH50 (without the drive switch engaged) and I prefer it for classic/hard/alternative rock tones, and with my BB pre-amp pedal it can sound more aggressive than the GH50 (without the drive switch engaged depending on the riff). In general it's a slightly more classic sounding 2 channel amp that covers a lot of ground but doesn't do that heavy Laney thing that the GH50 does.

If I didn't play metalesque riffs and have a need for sustaining singing leads I probably wouldn't have every tried the GH50. Engaging that drive switch though... makes me feel like :evil:. The LH50 makes me feel like :cool:. That's actually probably the best description I could give. Shoulda just posted the smileys.

LH50R = :cool:

GH50L = :evil:

• Members

I've got ZERO gear these days. Literally. After Confused Little Girl ended, that took a lot out of me. All respect to blood brother Dolf, but that was almost without question MY baby. Almost everything we ever did was my doing. So I need to take a step back and breathe and figure out everything else in my life. I plan on moving to New Orleans before my birthday this year, and once I get settled there I'm going to be re-building a rig and starting a solo band. But right now music has no place in my life other than something to listen to.

I know the feeling. Back in the late 90's I was in a band that was pretty much 100% my work. Not only songwriting, but also promoting, creating artwork etc... we got signed to a small label, toured a bit then {censored} hit the fan and the band broke up. I was heartbroken I quit playing out for several years. I also moved cross country shortly after the band was done and over with. Well other things also influenced that decision, but it was definitely a major factor.

• Members

They are very different amps. LH50 has a legitimately good clean channel voiced something like a cross between Fender and HiWatt. The gain channel is more open sounding than the GH50 (without the drive switch engaged) and I prefer it for classic/hard/alternative rock tones, and with my BB pre-amp pedal it can sound more aggressive than the GH50 (without the drive switch engaged depending on the riff). In general it's a slightly more classic sounding 2 channel amp that covers a lot of ground but doesn't do that heavy Laney thing that the GH50 does.

If I didn't play metalesque riffs and have a need for sustaining singing leads I probably wouldn't have every tried the GH50. Engaging that drive switch though... makes me feel like
:evil:
. The LH50 makes me feel like
:cool:
. That's actually probably the best description I could give. Shoulda just posted the smileys.

LH50R =
:cool:
GH50L =
:evil:

Cool, that's the one Laney amp I've never heard in person, I need to track one down and give it a try. But Laneys are hard to find in stores, even in the over-saturated L.A. gear market.

• Members

I downsized from 2 heads, 2 4x12's and 2 2x12's to a combo and 1x12 extension cab. I miss the {censored} out of the VHT stuff but I will just never need that much amp again. I have a Titan on the way and already down't want to have to buy a 4x12. I'll probably get a D212 to go with it but from there, I am done. I will probably still go down to just having one rig again ultimately.

My problem is I can't get rid of any of my guitars. Love them all. Not a spare in the bunch.

PLUS I want at least 2 more LP style guitars.

• Members

Cool, that's the one Laney amp I've never heard in person, I need to track one down and give it a try. But Laneys are hard to find in stores, even in the over-saturated L.A. gear market.

If it helps, it's called LH50R in England but they call it the LC50 here in the states. The newest LC50's are the third production and I believe a bit different. 1st and 2nd production LH50R/LC50 only differed in tubes 6L6 vs. EL34. I have KT77's in mine and love them in that amp.

• Members

I would downsize but I would get raped on the used market to the point where I just rather keep everything for a rainy day. I did off a lot of pedals...I had over 12 OD pedals at one point and I used maybe two of them so most of those are gone. I have contemplated selling my 2008 Nitro but I cannot bring myself to do it.

• Members

If it helps, it's called LH50R in England but they call it the LC50 here in the states. The newest LC50's are the third production and I believe a bit different. 1st and 2nd production LH50R/LC50 only differed in tubes 6L6 vs. EL34. I have KT77's in mine and love them in that amp.

I like 6L6s on Laney's so I would probably like the 1st production better. Although KT77s are also a good option.

• Members

I like 6L6s on Laney's so I would probably like the 1st production better. Although KT77s are also a good option.

In that amp I've tried 6L6 which was good but a bit too clean on the gain channel for my tastes, 6CA7 which were awful, E34L which were lacking depth and killed the clean channel, and the KT77 which are the most versatile tubes for that amp. They have the low end extension and clear highs that go so well with the clean, but they are open and chunky in the gain.

• Members

Gear will come and go but I'll never quit.

I think I'll be in some sort of gigging band until I physically can't do it anymore.

Right now I'm doing the punk rock thing and recently started and acoustic duo with a girl.

Music is like my religion, why in the hell would I ever just give it up?

I can understand cutting back because of time, but quitting? Something I'll never do and something I can never honestly understand.

• Members

I know the feeling. Back in the late 90's I was in a band that was pretty much 100% my work. Not only songwriting, but also promoting, creating artwork etc... we got signed to a small label, toured a bit then {censored} hit the fan and the band broke up. I was heartbroken I quit playing out for several years. I also moved cross country shortly after the band was done and over with. Well other things also influenced that decision, but it was definitely a major factor.

Yeah, it's pretty much the same. I'll get back in the swing but for right now breathing is a lot more interesting.

• Members

Bro, you downsized to where most people are normally at
:D

Their downsizing begins where yours ended
:lol:

Course I've seen the pics of your collection, and what you've told me about. Got. DAMN.

I seem to remember you having an LP Deluxe in the mix... or am I mistaken?

What I had before was insane, MUCH heavier on the amp and pedal side than the amp side. I found out early on that no matter what amp that I played through, I pretty much sounded the same on all of them because I dialed them all in the same way lol. 95% of the guitars and pedals are gone and I have 2 amps now; 2 heads ( with a 2x12 and a 4x12) and a Fender 2x12. I might pick up one of those Marshall JMD heads because I can get it at a screaming deal new( sub 400) for a cheap back up. Ive got 5 guitars; 2 GMW and 3 Partsocasters that cost me next to nothing. Down the road, Theres a Suhr Pro series that I would like and Im probably going to get Lee at GMW to build me a Schenker V done my way but after that, no more gear necessary or desired.

• Members

As far as downsizing being counter productive...the only thing 2 things that I have that are worth anything are the only 2 things that Im not selling...mak4 preamp and my ninja. Wireless, peavey butcher 412, art sla-2, rack case, noise gate, whatever the {censored} else is in there...all that can be replaced pretty easily, and with WAY better stuff later on, if I so choose. But the preamp and the guitar...those are the core of my tone, and they arent going anywhere.

Also, I just ordered a new guitar this morning while taking a {censored} :lol:

• Members

i downsized a while back and just have two 1x12 amps and 2 guitars. sold a nice acoustic because the bigger body takes up too much room. i don't bring a backup anything. i use a pedaltrain mini, sometimes straight into the board. of course, it helps when you have a really nice PA. on my gas list is a strymon blue sky reverb and some kind of extra small amp; champ, victoria 5112, etc.... i am lazy as {censored}/minimalist/efficient when it comes to hauling {censored} around. i am toying with the idea of something like a pocket pod or one of those vox plug-in thingies and running guitar > pod/vox thingy > wireless all on my guitar strap.

hahahahahaha

the last thing i want to do is tapdance. when the smoke fills the room and the lights come on, all i want to do is run around and make sexy faces, pelvic thrusts and the such; sometimes point at a chubby/not-so-attractive chick that really needs attention and then point at my wang; they like that. i don't smoke, but if a chick hands me a cigarette, i slobber all over, even a nice white frothy spit, and give it back to them. again, chubsters are willing to put it back in their mouth. if she tries to make eye contact with me for more than the current song, i give them a dirty look and mouth the words "{censored} you." don't want that {censored} clinging. also, good idea to keep progressing up the looks department and see where you can max out. that's always a fun game.

Archived