Do we (guitarists/musicians) have it better than ever now?

pinkvoid

• Members

Cheap Vox's (CC Series)

Cheap Soldano Clones (JCA)

The used prices of stuff like Fryette (and all the boutique builders no one knows) are a joke compared with the build quality.

It wasn't long ago when 90% of the guitar amps in a store were Solidstate. The rest were Marshall/Fender. I think we're getting around that...and they're priced well too.

I think the 5150 really changed the game with a SUPER high gain amp + tubes. I remember when the 5150 came out.

We're in a better time now.

I agree that Peavey changed the game but not necessarily with the 5150. The 5150 wasn't a cheap amp when it was first released, it actually cost more than it does today (if adjusted for inflation) and even today it's not that cheap when bought new.

But Peavey was indeed the first company to put some high quality and affordable high gain tube amps in the market. Amps like the VTM, Ultra series etc that are absolutely kick ass by any standards.

The 5150 was a game changer for Peavey, as it made the company look more respectable among pro-level musicians, but it was Peavey as a whole that changed the low-to-mid amp market, before the 5150.

• Members

I agree that Peavey changed the game but not necessarily with the 5150.
The 5150 wasn't a cheap amp when it was first released, it actually cost more than it does today (if adjusted for inflation)
and even today it's not that cheap when bought new.

You're absolutely correct. The very thing I was trying to convey.

Why it's better today. :thu:

• Members

Equipment wise.. we are definately spoiled for choice.. quality wise and also the price. And then there is home recording and the like..

Inspiration wise.. it's debatable.. but it seems (to me) that guitar's best days are behind it and all the best most inspirational guitar playing is looking backwards into the past. And that's coming from someone who plays modern hi gain amps and superstrats, not someone who only plays blues on a Fender strat.

• Members

No. Technology has just made manufacturers able to make things cheaper and {censored}tier while charging more for quality products because their "better". Its not that the good things are getting better, its the cheap {censored} thats getting {censored}tier. 50 years ago there was no such thing as made in china or korea.

• Members

No. Technology has just made manufacturers able to make things cheaper and {censored}tier while charging more for quality products because their "better". Its not that the good things are getting better, its the cheap {censored} thats getting {censored}tier. 50 years ago there was no such thing as made in china or korea.

Shut the {censored} up. Aren't you 15 or something? You have NO idea what are you talking about.

• Members

Says the guy with two Madisons and a Valve King. If not for China and Korea, do you have any idea what your amp options would be in that price range?

yep. pretty close to nothing (or SS which about the same anyway)

Edit: Actually the Divinity II is MIA.

• Members

I rememeber my first guitar. It was a barely playable piece of plywood {censored} that cost about $100. When i outgrew it I had to save up all summer to get something that was almost as good as what you can get for that $100 today.

In terms of cost, playability and consistency, there is no comparison between what we have now and what we had 20 years ago.

We can own a fully functional studio for a few hundred dollars and put it out ourselves on the internet

Unfortunately, music is no longer worth anything..

• Members

Extremely affordable gear = almost everybody around you is now a musician. So instead of those stories of struggling musicians making their frankenstein guitars out of furniture and other crappy guitars and making payments on pedals they can barely afford to play gigs, you get spoon fed 11 year olds with similar or better gear than some people on these forums.. :cop:

• Members

China sure changed a lot of things. I still don't like the "make sloppy cheap stuff and flood the market" notion but it was a kick in the face for euro/US manufacturers. For years the cheaper "serious" amp to gig with and had tubes was the laney lc50 and it cost about 800 euros and the average salary was like 700 euros back then. There was the 1x10 laney lc 15r which sucked balls, still does, feature wise, speaker etc. Best thing you could buy were valvestates or bandits which were also made in USA and too expensive 4-500 euros, then. What you can actually buy now has nothing to do with the products of the time as far as value goes.

But for me what changed the most is the ability to actually record free a decent to very good demo, album, song whatever, all in one's pc.

Freeware like LePou, IR's, reaper even surpassed what the original pod did in giving on tape tones that actually worth something to the everyday hobbyist up to any pro who can make the most out of it. I still remember my best man's then band, fetching everything they had and got from gigs etc to record a 5 song demo in analog tape, in a studio nearby. About 1200-1500$ today's cash. The end result is marginally better than what you'd get with a korg pandora going DI...let alone any good plug in and virtual drum set.

• Members

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, coming from the dude who threw a fit about people not liking his cheapo Madisons. Yeah, maybe I should hand it to you - I guess you do know a lot about cheap {censored}. :lol:

Anyway, it's an amazing time to be into home recording. I can clearly see insane improvements in the home recording market even over the span of just the last 7 years or so.

• Members

The main difference today is that we have the internet. Back in the early 90's people where happy with their gear because they didn't have the internet to tell them their gear was {censored}!

I liked my JCM 900 until I found out it was a POS. ;)

• Members

The main difference today is that we have the internet. Back in the early 90's people where happy with their gear because they didn't have the internet to tell them their gear was {censored}!

I liked my JCM 900 until I found out it was a POS.
;)

I agree with this, I thought my Marshall valvestate was the bollocks

• Members

There's a lot more choice, that gives a lot more freedom.

I'd say this is related to gear; guitars, amplifiers, fx ..etc etc, but also the way you are inspired and learn, mainly as someone has said because of the internet, so much information is so freely available, just google it and youtube it ..there boom!...easy.

freedom and ease has led to a sheer lack of discipline though, so much is easily aquired everything sort of has a lack of "special" about it. A good analogy would be films laden with special effects so easy to do..but where's the "art", "the story line" ie; where is the original music & original talent ? certainly not infront of a snaxfx kemper or diezel with some wolf shirt playing derivative bollocks ;)

Easy = lack of effort = lack of discipline = lack of order = lack of satisfaction. That's the way I look at things , bring back the "special" please the satisfaction from the sheer effort required; the journey, the fight, keep your HNGD's and get fukin good at playing.

here endeth the lesson :cop:

:rawk:

• Members

Of course things are better now, anyone that says otherwise is taking a painfully narrow view. Everything has expanded significantly in the last 50 years. Want to change your guitars pickups? {censored} ton of options at your disposal now. Strings? Hell yeah you can get just about any brand in any gauge. Practice in your headphones late at night? Sure, tons of options there. Want to record? Don't need to worry about maintaining a giant tape machine or paying for studio time, you can spend a few hundred dollars and have an entire recording rig to lay down tracks whenever you want with no maintenance. Want to learn something new? {censored}ING GOOGLE IT.

None of these things were a reality 50 years ago and they are all positives.

• Members

There's a lot more choice, that gives a lot more freedom.

I'd say this is related to gear; guitars, amplifiers, fx ..etc etc, but also the way you are inspired and learn, mainly as someone has said because of the internet, so much information is so freely available, just google it and youtube it ..there boom!...easy.

freedom and ease has led to a sheer lack of discipline though, so much is easily aquired everything sort of has a lack of "special" about it. A good analogy would be films laden with special effects so easy to do..but where's the "art", "the story line" ie; where is the original music & original talent ? certainly not infront of a snaxfx kemper or diezel with some wolf shirt playing derivative bollocks
;)

Easy = lack of effort = lack of discipline = lack of order = lack of satisfaction. That's the way I look at things , bring back the "special" please the satisfaction from the sheer effort required; the journey, the fight, keep your HNGD's and get fukin good at playing.

here endeth the lesson
:cop:

:rawk:

I agree. Something I have forced my self into (well my budget too lol) is not just going out and buying gear as soon as I want to change something about my sound, but actualy learn how to make the best with what I have.

I am enjoying playing a lot more now too, just like I was 10 (or more) years ago :)

• Members

I agree. Something I have forced my self into (well my budget too lol) is not just going out and buying gear as soon as I want to change something about my sound, but actualy learn how to make the best with what I have.

I am enjoying playing a lot more now too, just like I was 10 (or more) years ago
:)

:)

Tidy room , feels great.

Set up guitar , feels great.

learn piece of music and nail it, feels great.

buy new stuff that I don't really need, nah ..bit of a buzz :idk:

drink copius amounts of red wine :love:, yea love it , easy to do.. then hangover :freak:

go after crazy wimin that make me miserable because it's easy :facepalm:

I've got so much hard stuff I should do, why do the easy stuff over and over --> :deadhorse:

I don't know.

Archived