Gibson players: how many of you move the strap knob?

guitarbilly74

• Members

I am thinking of moving the strap knob on my new SG to the upper horn (a la Iommi :lol:) because I really don't like how the guitar balances with the knob behind the neck.

I probably wouldn't do it on a natural finish guitar, but since mine is solid black I can always fill in the hole and use a little touch up paint to make the other hole nearly invisible.

What do you guys think? Bad move?

• Members

naw man, I always wanted to do that to any of the SG's I've owned over the years. Of course, I always get Heritage Cherry, so couldn't bring myself to do it
:lol:

I definitely wouldn't do that on any transparent finish. I just wouldn't be able to deal with it :lol: But I guess in a black one, it's doable?

I did it on my old Explorer but back then I was 21 and did not give a {censored} about anything :lol:

• Members

Some of them are a real pain to balance. I've done that on my really neck heavy model. Hell, I put LEAD in the control cavity to balance it out.

Since I never flip my girls, I say go for it. At the end of the day, they aren't works of art, they are tools. YMMV.

• Members

Some of them are a real pain to balance. I've done that on my really neck heavy model. Hell, I put LEAD in the control cavity to balance it out.

Since I never flip my girls, I say go for it. At the end of the day, they aren't works of art, they are tools. YMMV.

Yeah I agree, especially because the SG-X is not an expensive guitar to begin with, I might as well do what's more comfortable to me.

• Members

100_0484-2.jpg

I've had 2 SG's over the years, i left them stock, i have Dunlop dual design locks on all my guitars now.

I have a Randy Rhoads thats neck heavy, i don't like it much.

man.. on the gold top... ouch!!! I wouldn't do it unless it's a finish I can easily cover the hole up.

• Members

I had an SG and hated the strap button location. I'd have moved it but traded it first. I did move the button on my Gibson RD. So much better now.

Btw, I just added a new one in the right spot and left the original there so there is no hole.

Archived