Gibson players: how many of you move the strap knob?

guitarbilly74

• Members

havent moved mine on my SG, since i have the straplocks. i feel it balances fine, especially with a leather strap. but ive long held the opinion that the workers were on some good {censored} that day, that SG is magical.

i moved the one on my explorer though.

• Members
I am thinking of moving the strap knob on my new SG to the upper horn (a la Iommi
:lol:
) because I really don't like how the guitar balances with the knob behind the neck.

I probably wouldn't do it on a natural finish guitar, but since mine is solid black I can always fill in the hole and use a little touch up paint to make the other hole nearly invisible.

What do you guys think? Bad move?

SG's are notoriously neck heavy, I think moving the knob is a solid idea

• Members

Man... I so want to do it to my SG Standard. I think I can deal with drilling through the cherry finish, but I've always worried about the strength of the horn. What's the word on that?

It feels solid as hell. You need to use a screw that's at least 3 inches long and be very careful drilling the hole. I pre-drilled the hole using just a small jeweler's screwdriver and my hands so I was in complete control of what I was doing . It's very important to get just the right angle so it doesn't come out at the other end.

Once you hand drilled deep enough that you can just insert the screw and it will stay in, you can assemble the strap knob and start to screw it all the way in.

It's not hard at all, but it IS a delicate job. Take your time, small steps and it's fine.

• Members
I am thinking of moving the strap knob on my new SG to the upper horn (a la Iommi
:lol:
) because I really don't like how the guitar balances with the knob behind the neck.

I probably wouldn't do it on a natural finish guitar, but since mine is solid black I can always fill in the hole and use a little touch up paint to make the other hole nearly invisible.

What do you guys think? Bad move?

I'm not going to say bad move, but I've never even considered it on my SG. Never had an issue with balance or how it hangs on me.

Archived