So I finally got a chance to crank up my Mark IV Long Head vs. Mark IV short head

Tommy Horrible

• Members

The long head has all 6L6s, the short head has 2 EL34s, and 2 6L6s. The difference is slight but definitely there. I prefer the simul class set up with a mix of power tubes for sure. It's a little more dark with all 6L6s, but its just missing that aggression and crunch you get with EL34s that puts the mark tone over the top for me. I need that special something that EL34s bring in the upper mids to be happy. I will be replacing the tubes in the class a sockets ASAP.

• Members

The long head has all 6L6s, the short head has 2 EL34s, and 2 6L6s. The difference is slight but definitely there. I prefer the simul class set up with a mix of power tubes for sure. It's a little more dark with all 6L6s, but its just missing that aggression and crunch you get with EL34s that puts the mark tone over the top for me. I need that special something that EL34s bring in the upper mids to be happy. I will be replacing the tubes in the class a sockets ASAP.

Whiich EL34s are you going with? Any need to bias the amp? Just curious.

• Members

The Mesa ones. I've always used to Mesa Tubes with Mesa amps.

I noticed especially the V is finicky with tubes, so I stick with Mesa branded. If I want some right away, Humbucker Music is about a 30 minute drive from my house.

• Members

Yeah, i prefer the mix in my Mark III. Brings a little more mid fullness to the tone, versus a slight more low end with all 6l6's. It's a better tone that sits in a band mix a bit better. I'm using a pair of SED winged C's for the el34's, and SED winged C 6l6's. They should be replaced (cause they are a few years old), but they still sound so good.

Archived