Got my K85's today!!!!

guitarbilly74

• Members

Sweet!! Im glad they got there safe and sound, and a day early, even, and that you are digging them. I LOVE them. They are BAD{censored}INGASS with a 5150. No question about that.

If any one wants one, I have one for sale...65 shipped...but its ending on ebay tomorrow, so catch me before it sells there.

Green bubble wrap came straight off the Home Depot shelves hahaha.

k85 is the same as the k100.

Billy, yeah, dude...I knew they would pretty much be EXACTLY what you were looking for. I dont think there is a better speaker for high gain applications, IMO.

• Members

yeah i love k100s, great sounding speaker for more than just metal.

i plan to take the 4 k100s out of my avatar and put them in the mako when it comes.

Thats probably a good idea. Eventually, Ill get some for my 5150 212, but Im gonna stick with the stock speakers for now to save money.

• Members

Awesome. I tried the K100s in the MF400 cab and my Orange slant and thought they were too woofy in the MF and too punchy and round in the Orange, but I can tell why some people like them. That was when I only had my Chimera though, which I prefer with more vintage sounding speakers. I bet the Hydra would love them though.

• Members

Glad you like the K85s. I've got six of them.

I know some don't care for the K85s and find them a bit meh and I can understand that opinion. What I like about them is that they do a good job of reproducing the sound of your amp with minimal coloration at low to moderate volumes.

OTOH if you have the luxury of being able to crank them up they do come into their own.

• Members

We are working with a new singer but we should be playing some time next month
:)
I will let you know!
:thu:

definitely mean to make it out man. I finally did that engine swap to my car and got her running again! sprained my wrist last week so no guitar playing for a few weeks :(

we should have a K100 vs H100 shootout with my Randall cab when I start playing again!

• Members

definitely mean to make it out man. I finally did that engine swap to my car and got her running again! sprained my wrist last week so no guitar playing for a few weeks
:(

we should have a K100 vs H100 shootout with my Randall cab when I start playing again!

I am down!!! You should stop by at the studio one of these days!! It's not far from you, dude :poke: :lol:

• Members

Any other time, I'd go for 16 ohms.

I have a Marshall MF280B that Im setting up to run 2 heads with (2x12's per head), so to be able to run my heads @ 16 ohms, I'd need 8 ohm'ers.

For some odd reason, a Marshall sounds better set at 16 ohms than at 8. Was told that at 16 ohms, it "uses all of the transformer" ...whatever that means.

• Members

Any other time, I'd go for 16 ohms.

I have a Marshall MF280B that Im setting up to run 2 heads with (2x12's per head), so to be able to run my heads @ 16 ohms, I'd need 8 ohm'ers.

For some odd reason, a Marshall sounds better set at 16 ohms than at 8. Was told that at 16 ohms, it "uses all of the transformer" ...whatever that means.

Transformers are under maximum load at 4 ohms, but they do sound a little different at different loads, just as the same cab wired series-parallel sounds a little different as parallel-series. It's just your perspective and simple things you can change to alter the sound to sound better to you.

• Members

Transformers are under maximum load at 4 ohms, but they do sound a little different at different loads, just as the same cab wired series-parallel sounds a little different as parallel-series. It's just your perspective and simple things you can change to alter the sound to sound better to you.

Yes, but it really should be a minimal difference. If anyone is noticing a HUGE difference between different taps of a transformers, it might be a good idea to have the amp looked at. The difference should be VERY small and easy to compensate with a bit of EQ and/or gain tweaking.

Archived