Probably the 6th time I've asked this in 6 years, but Mesa amps?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

I didnt read if you had a budget.. but Rectos are fantastic amps. They get alot of flack here for being a darker and fuzzier sounding amp, but in the end its a great amp to have in a mix. If everybody had a mark-iv and an LP setup then that would be great, but IMO rectos are a fantastic complement as a rhythm guitar, and a great standalone where you want more meat in your sound. I never get to crank my amps anyways, since usually their highs and high mids get too loud for people - a recto you get to crank a bit more and benefit from the extra chunk without being as ear-piercing loud. :idk:

Which one would you get? 2 or 3 channel? Don't forget about the road/ster/king..

• Members

I went thru many amps, pretty much all high gainers, and kept my rectoverb and my Marshall 1974x.

I stay mostly on raw and vintage modes, and sometimes modern, it covers blues, rock, metal beautifuly.

When I want more classic sound, then I use my marshall.

The thing is as I'm getting older, I like less gain, and rather enjoy beautiful crunch tone and chime for dirty blues rock sound.

Nowadays I am looking more into amps like AC15, Matchless Lightening.

If you are looking for a Boogie, also try a Lonestar and electrodyne.

• Members

Not a Recto?

A single or a dual recto would serve your purposes wonderfully. The new ones are especially versatile with great fx loops, multiple voicing switches per channel and the fact that they are self biasing and are switchable between EL34 and 6l6 make them flexible amps tonewise. The global eq's screw with people but if you EQ with your ear and not your eyes you will do great.

• Members

One other thing that I can't figure out is the pricing on the Recto series.....some are $700-800, and some of the seemingly same amp are $1k plus used?
:confused:

and the stripes....
:idk:

Rectos have gone through a LOT of revisions. The older two channel Dual and Triples are more sought after than the three channel models. The 2012 three channel revision rules. Stripes were only on Mark IIIs, and they just indicated which revision they were. There used to be this really handy list of the different Stripes, but it looks like it's 404'd now :(

Archived