Yamaha THR dudes - what DAW are you using??

peavey_impact

• Members

I got my THR10 a few days ago and am just totally in love with the thing. Best lunchbox amp I've used, personally.

Anyways, I'm getting some happening tones and tried to get in on Killzone's drumjam yesterday to share with you guys but I'm having trouble! I use Sonar X1 Studio 32-bit on a 32-bit Windows XP system. Probably not an ideal setup, but I've never had any issues recording before whether I used my Focusrite Saffire firewire interface or various Line 6 usb interfaces.

So here's the deal - I had ASIO4ALL installed on my system prior to installing the THR driver. After I installed everything I loaded up my DAW and went to select the THR as my ins/outs. It's showing up as "asio4all THR10" or something like that. I made my selection then began tracking. Everything seemed cool....loaded up my drum track, laid down my first rhythm part. When I went to record my second rhythm track, I could get about 10-15 seconds in then all of a sudden all audio would just totally bomb out/skip horribly. It isn't the usual glitch/click/pops I've heard before that I usually associate with latency issues - it's a complete audio drop out. Nevertheless, I did try messing around with the latency controls and it seemed to make no difference.

Now, as I said before if I use my Saffire I have no problem creating tons of tracks and using multiple plugins at once....

I figured maybe the ASIO4ALL thing isn't playing nice with the THR so I uninstalled it. After doing that I can get the THR to show up in Sonar as "Yamaha Steinberg THR" or something like that, but I can't get it to bind to my master output for shit! :mad:

So in other words, if I don't use ASIO4ALL I basically can't get any sound from the THR within my DAW. I even tried to load up the copy of Cubase that came with the amp but I don't know how the hell to use that program really.....can't get my ins/outs set right. Besides, as a Sonar X1 owner I'd rather not switch DAWS just to get a piece of hardware to work correctly. I do still have older versions of Sonar I can test with but haven't got around to doing that yet.

I know it's a long read, but does anyone have any advice or any ideas I can try? Anyone else successfully using a THR with Sonar X1? Help!! :cry:

• Members

I got mine working with this Utube video. Didn't sound really too good though. I suck at recording :cry: and I don't have the patience to set and do it either. Oh, did I mention I fucking love this amp :)

[video=youtube;wfG8NernmnU]

• Members

That would defeat the whole purpose really.....wouldn't be able to monitor using the THR, nor would I be able to record the dry DI tracks along with the amp signal.

oh I though the purpose was just to get a good guitar sound on the track. :idk:

I'm not sure about the drivers though so I can't help you there. The only thing I can suggest is to make sure all other audio drivers are disabled when using the THR driver.

• Members

I'm using mine into Reaper on a vista machine. I also have Asio4all drivers. No problems here, no pops or latency probs. If I select Asio4all I will get playback through the laptop speakers/headphones and the Yam/Steinberg drivers will run through the THR10.

Love the THR10! :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Anyone figure this out yet? I'm having the same issue with Logic. Can't tell how to crank up the volume of the signal coming out of the THR.

Edit: Found it. It's controlled by the "Master" knob. Seems like if you want the virtual amp master down low you have to live with a lower-than-optimal input signal.

Archived