4x12 Cab Noise Mystery

StratoSlacker

• Members

Hi Guys,

I posted this in Guitar Jam but probably should have posted here. This is my first week back to HC in a very long time. Sorta forgot the way things are done.

Blown Speaker Mystery. Help!

Ok, so I very recently picked up a used Orange 4x12 cab as part of a deal for an Orange amp head. Cab is closed back, 16 ohm, and loaded with four Vintage 30's. Aside from the usual wear and tear on the tolex, the cab is in fine condition.

When playing clean at moderately loud volume, the cab buzzes. Buzz is easiest to recreate when playing chords, particularly when hitting the lower strings. Buzz gets easier and easier to recreate with the neck pickup and with the tone pot of the guitar cranked down. Buzz seems to be coming from the lower left corner.

Some trouble shooting that I've done thus far that leads me to believe it's the cab and more specifically the lower left speaker:

Checked all the external screws on the back panel, hardware and feet. All tight.

Nothing on the cab is loose (hardware, logos, etc)

Opened the back panel, everything appears to look fine inside, nothing loose, no damage.

Played the cab facing different directions and in different rooms, pretty sure buzz is coming from the cab.

Played the amp head through a different cab (2x12 with V30's), no buzz.

Did most of the above with 2 different guitars, buzz seems to remain isolated to the cab.

Played a different amp head through the cab, same results.

With the back panel still off, I lightly pressed my finger on the lower left cone (as viewed from the front) and the buzz goes away. Comes back once I take my finger off.

TLDR Version:

So, it seems to me the problem resides in the speaker but am I missing something?

Assuming it is the speaker, what should I do next? Take it out and inspect, then remount? I'm not well versed in the anatomy of speakers so any advice will be useful.

Update: I pulled that speaker out and re-mounted it. Speaker visually looked fine and after putting it back on, the problem persists.

Thanks!

• Members

not sure either. maybe i'm just dampening some of the energy that's causing the buzz, whether or not it's related to the speaker?

is there a safe way to disconnect one speaker at a time and play through the cab? that'd be the easiest way I can think of to trouble shoot each speaker...but i'm not electrically inclined enuogh to know.

• Members

I'd sooner disconnect that speaker, move one of the known good ones to its position and QUICKLY see if the buzz continues. This way you aren't spending $120 to see if it's a speaker or a box issue. Then if that fixed it, buy a new speaker. If it didn't, start caulking and tacking the cab.

• Members

I'd sooner disconnect that speaker, move one of the known good ones to its position and QUICKLY see if the buzz continues. This way you aren't spending $120 to see if it's a speaker or a box issue. Then if that fixed it, buy a new speaker. If it didn't, start caulking and tacking the cab.

this man speaks the truth

• Members

Check to make sure the dust cap hasn't come apart from the cone on that speaker. I had this problem with a v30 before. Was a simple fix once I knew what the problem was.

If it is something else, follow the advice above of removing that speaker from the equation to see if you still have a problem. Replace if necessary.

• Members

Sounds like it needs to be re-coned.

But I don't know why the buzz goes away when you touch the cone.

It goes away no matter where you touch it?

Thought this too. Separation. Someone blew it. Voice coil issue too perhaps...(?)

• Members

stratoslacker,

First, do what Abstract suggests. And while you've got the speaker in question out take a careful look all the way around the edge of the cone. See if you can find any rips at all. If you do, in a pinch, we used to use nail glue (the stuff women use to glue their false nails on to their real nails) on those tears. It will work for a while but the speaker will have to be reconed sooner rather than later. Give it a try.

• Members

thanks for all the input guys. so it sounds like disconnecting one speaker at a time isn't suggested if I read all the posts correctly? would using a volt meter (set to Ohms i guess?) tell me anything about whether a speaker might be blown or not? I suppose a cone issue wouldn't register on a meter.

another thought...i have another cab with two V30's. I could prolly take out one of those and swap it with the V30's in the problem cab, one at a time. right?

• Members

+1 on this. It might be the speaker, it might not. Eliminate that by swapping speakers.

• Members

Ok, so fortunately for me I have another speaker cab (ADA 2x12) which has the exact same speakers as the Orange 4x12 cab.

I pulled out the suspect speaker from the Orange and replaced it with a speaker from the ADA cab. No buzz. I went further and put the "Orange" speaker into the ADA cab, major buzz. If anything the buzz seemed even more prominent in the ADA cab. Not sure if it's related but the 2x12 ADA is an 8ohm cab while the 4x12 Orange is 16 ohm, and yes I used the proper outputs from the amp. I then put the two speakers back into their original cabs, no buzz with the ADA and same buzz with the Orange.

So, sounds like I have a bum speaker. I took a close look at the cone and see nothing out of the ordinary. The wires all look normal, nothing loose and nothing rubbing the cone. Lightly pressing on the cone makes no strange noises and lightly tapping the cone makes the expected resonant thud kind of sound.

As I see it, my next option would be to either get the speaker repaired (if that's possible) or replaced.

• Members

Ok, so fortunately for me I have another speaker cab (ADA 2x12) which has the exact same speakers as the Orange 4x12 cab.

I pulled out the suspect speaker from the Orange and replaced it with a speaker from the ADA cab. No buzz. I went further and put the "Orange" speaker into the ADA cab, major buzz. If anything the buzz seemed even more prominent in the ADA cab. Not sure if it's related but the 2x12 ADA is an 8ohm cab while the 4x12 Orange is 16 ohm, and yes I used the proper outputs from the amp. I then put the two speakers back into their original cabs, no buzz with the ADA and same buzz with the Orange.

So, sounds like I have a bum speaker. I took a close look at the cone and see nothing out of the ordinary. The wires all look normal, nothing loose and nothing rubbing the cone. Lightly pressing on the cone makes no strange noises and lightly tapping the cone makes the expected resonant thud kind of sound.

As I see it, my next option would be to either get the speaker repaired (if that's possible) or replaced.

I have a 16 ohm V30 I can sell you. $80 shipped, well packed :thu:

• Members

dont't repair it. it's not worth the hassle. just get a new one.

Archived