bedliner as cabinet finish?

Belva

• Members

Truck liners for speaker cabinets is becoming a new standard. I've been seeing LOTS of Ampeg 810 Fridges around town with truck liner sprayed onto them. There are huge advantages to spraying your cabinets. First, makes them absolutely waterproof, so no more wood warping and expanding when cabs get damp in the rain. Second, absolutely seals the cab and keeps air leaks covered in all joints. Third, no seamlines where the rat fur or Tolex meets the next sheet, peeling back from friction or heat ruining the glue. Fourth, far easier and quicker to apply than gluing and wrapping rat fur or Tolex. Fifth, far more durable and abrasion resistant than rat fur or Tolex. And Sixth and most important, very very easy to recondition dirty or scuffed up surfaces, or repair by gluing any tears back down with urethane glue. I dare you to clean up a rat fur or Tolex cab after 5 years of constant use to get them looking brand new, compared to a good soaping and some Meguiar's car dashboard cleaner to get it shiny new again!

You can find official Rhinoliner application shops or hit your local car customization shops to get your cabs sprayed. Usually if you take the cab to a shop and explain what you want, they'll be glad to do it for you.

A couple of tips about making your choices...

1. There ARE differences in the products. Rhinoliner is my preferred product, because it is rubbery and impact resistent, takes abrasion well, and repairs easily with model cement. Line-X is harder and less flexible and is very rough to the touch, but looks better and less ripply or bumpy compared to Rhinoliner. Duratex can be bought by the gallon can and rolled or brushed onto whatever you're covering, but I greatly prefer spraying it on for thicker coats and a stronger bond to the surface.

2. You absolutely MUST remove everything from your cabinet, and mask off the driver holes completely. You don't want this stuff coating the inside baffling or speaker wires or casters or handles or corners or whatever. Actually, seen people coat right over their metal corners so you can do that, just don't coat over plastic interlocking corners or they'll be useless.

3. Remember that when they spray it on, it's applied at 250 degrees. It is MOLTEN when sprayed on! Account for that in case your cabinet has any soft plastic parts, cuz the heat could melt your plastic hardware. But once the stuff cools down, it is quite impressive.

Armor All tire coat works great for cleaning and shining up your cab, but it will also make it slick. So be careful. It was awesome as I loaded my Ampeg 610 in and out of my truck cuz it slipped around so easily. But was easy to slip on stage!

If you want a thick, durable coating for serious road duty use, go to a Rhinoliner shop. If you just want it for replacing ugly Tolex or rat fur and light duty careful use, roll or brush on some Duratex.

• Members

Thanks for the input. I'll go for it & send pics. Reason for doing it this way; I'm a cheap b#$t@>d & have some duratex left over. The wood for the project will be left over from other projects too. Did I mention I'm also a packrat?!?

Archived