Would I regret this?

TU BE

• Members

Played a Deluxe Reverb the other day at the music store. Absolutely beautiful cleans and reverb. Also like built in vibrato. Of course, I'd have to use pedals for dirt. Currently, with my Super Sonic, no pedals needed except for a solo boost. The SS has an fx loop (which I run an eq thru for solo boost), the DR doesn't. The SS has built in dirt, the DR would require a dirt pedal. The DR has better cleans and comes with a LOT better stock speaker. The DR has built in vibrato (which would only get minimal use but is still cool to have). Both are easy to transport for practice and shows.

I'm really torn because I think they both sound good. Each has advantages and disadvantages when compared.

Even after seeing this video, I like the tone of both. I'd have to sell the SS and pitch in some money on top to score the DR though and not sure if the difference is enough to justify doing that. I could use different dirt pedals for different tones on the DR but I could do that using the clean channel of the SS too. I also considered changind out that Eminence speaker in the SS and replacing it with something better. The amp sounds way better running through my orange 212 with gt-75's in it.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!! Help me decide. :lol:

[video=youtube;t-ssraJRz7E]

• Members

I'll just leave this here: You can't add clean. Period.
:o

True but the SS does have a really good clean channel but the DR does have the advantage. It may have a lot to do with the speaker difference though.

• Members

Both are awesome amps!

Keep the ss and do some swapping!!!

Just for the fx loop- I would keep the ss.

me 2 cents

I do prefer delay thru a loop. I think a speaker swap may be in order before I decide.

• Members

The DRRI is a great amp, but it doesn't really have anything on the SS. Just change the v30 out of the SS for a weber or a more typical "fender" speaker and you'll basically have a drri if you set the clean channel to the vibrolux setting.

• Members

I wish it had a celestion, even if it was a v30. It has an eminence "special design".
:rolleyes:

orly?

Hm, that must be something they changed when the 22 watter came out. Those special designs are 75 watt ceramic jobbies, right? Not the best speaker for that amp, for sure. Try to nab a WGS reaper, that speaker sounds killer clean or overdriven. Or a weber/etc like I mentioned earlier.

• Members

I wish it had a celestion, even if it was a v30. It has an eminence "special design".
:rolleyes:

orly?

Hm, that must be something they changed when the 22 watter came out. Those special designs are 75 watt ceramic jobbies, right? Not the best speaker for that amp, for sure. Try to nab a WGS reaper, that speaker sounds killer clean or overdriven. Or a weber/etc like I mentioned earlier.

• Members

Yeah, changing out the speaker would be less expensive and waaaaaay less hassle (selling, shipping etc). And since the SS and DR are built on the same platform, it should be a lot closer to the DR.

I believe the DR has a Jensen in it. I'll find out the model and price one of those.

• Members

Yeah, changing out the speaker would be less expensive and waaaaaay less hassle (selling, shipping etc). And since the SS and DR are built on the same platform, it should be a lot closer to the DR.

I believe the DR has a Jensen in it. I'll find out the model and price one of those.

it does. Try the speaker swap first. Crappy combo speakers are always a fail.

And if you couldn't find someone to straight trade you a drri for your ss, you're doing it wrong :lol:

There's a drri on one of the florida CL's right now for $500 and has been there for a minute.

• Members

skip the Jensen. They're not terrible, but most DRRi owners swap em out for the Weber. It's hard to beat a good Weber in a Fender amp.

• Members

Kind of seems like two different ways of almost doing the same thing, to me.

Onboard distortion vs. pedals. Seems like you can't go wrong with either.

I must say, that is one setup I've never tried, and I want to, a DRRI with pedals. Yummy.

• Members

P.S. - I've actually never heard an SS before, but have seen the love for them, and now I understand.

P.P.S. - Idn't it funny about demos like in the OP, we all spend most of our time playing rhythm guitar, yet a lot of demos are minute after minute of soloing. Play a f'ing chord for once! :lol:

• Members

skip the Jensen. They're not terrible, but most DRRi owners swap em out for the Weber. It's hard to beat a good Weber in a Fender amp.

Yep, just found that out through some research.

• Members

it does. Try the speaker swap first. Crappy combo speakers are always a fail.

And if you couldn't find someone to straight trade you a drri for your ss, you're doing it wrong
:lol:

There's a drri on one of the florida CL's right now for $500 and has been there for a minute.

I would want the special edition wine red one though.

It costs a little more but it's purdy!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/65DeluxeRVWR?utm_source=CSEGoogle&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=65DeluxeRev&rkg_attid=333557818&SID=0&zmam=89202644&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=65DeluxeRev

I'll probably stick with the SS for now and do the speaker swap.

Archived