best cheap audio interface?

Y0UNGBL00D

• Members

It's real simple and should be self explanatory. If you already have a decent spec computer:

For video work on a computer, don't skimp on the video card and Ram.

For audio recording on a computer, don't skimp on the audio interface and Ram.

For video and audio recording, have the best video and audio interface you can afford/ max the Ram.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've got the same card. The sound quality and performance is awesome, but that Patchmix software you have to use with it has always been a bitch for me. Any change in configuration takes me forever to get sorted out. Other than that though it's a pretty badass card for the money.

I hear you. :D To help get things back to where they need to be in case of any changes, I've captured screenshots of how it's set up and saved to Word.

• Members

since the op has allready bought something else I will also reccomend the scarlett. Very happy with mine.

I bumped this thread because I have used a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI card for like 12 years or something. It has been rock solid, but I think I am going to replace my old computer with a laptop. I looked at M-Audio, but it doesn't seem like their USB stuff is that great. The Focusrite 8i6 looks good, but I will have to research some more. I could just use my POD HD500, but that could get awkward with other gear hooked to it as a sound card...

• Members

so i'm confused now... If i got something like that emu 0404 or the Scarlett 2i2, do i just plug it into the usb port? i don't need to connect it to a mic/line in?

Mic > Interface > USB/FW

• Members

M-Audio FireWire Solo user here. Had issues with the chip in my last PC, but after changing it to the Legacy driver for the Ti chip on my new(er) PC, it's been working great. Oh, and on W7 64-bit. Zero noticeable lag, and low noise. Outputs right to my M-Audio BX5a monitors; setup works for me and my budget. :thu:

• Members

i think it's just that it's not super-popular, so software / hardware manufacturers aren't making it a priority to create drivers for it...

Unfortunately, this is very true when it comes to PreSonus hardware. I love their DAW (Studio One), but their hardware can be a real pain in the ass for someone using Windows. When I used an Audiobox USB interface, the drivers were total crap; I constantly had to reinstall mine due to my PC not recognizing the drivers every time I booted up. Once I got a Mac, the {censored} was plug in and play. I have upgraded to a Firewire interface since then (M-Audio ProFire 610), which requires the use of a driver even on a Mac, but the unit has been quite stable. With a majority of the hardware and software being cross-platform these days, and considering PCs have come a LONG way in terms of being capable audio production machines, the truth of the matter is that the product development is much more optimized for the Mac platform, simply because a majority of professional recording engineers use Apple computers.

Archived