build your own D bat FLASHLIGHT 18V condenser mic.

mark7171

• Members

supposedly you can easily make a superb quality condenser mic from a flashlight, and a few basic parts . power it with 2 x 9 volt batteries. it can pick up 20-20,000hz. the diy is a radio studio quality , supposedly out performs Shure.

can you help?

i believe this is the schemaTICS BUT THEY ARE TOO BLURRY.

beyond this anybody try it?

http://www.christianmusicweb.com/microphones/mic_project.html

• Members

I've seen a few plans based on the Panasonic mic listed in the plans you referenced. By all accounts, that mic element gives great results, with the single caveat that the response pattern is omnidirectional, rather than cardioid as most stage mics are.

I've heard that the Panasonic mic element is not readily available in quantities less than 20.

I'm not sure what you mean by blurry. The page you referenced displayed perfectly for me including the schematic.

• Members

wrong link, but it got me enough ideas to get me on my way.

in my old room stuff , i found a old panasonic 9 volt answering machine. i went to town DIYing. it has a quality mic piece. like the same type as your link. pics to come.

here is the church of christian faith,youth project- schematic-

m2323ic169.jpg

• Members

the answering unit was a panasonic , so i asume the condensor mic was to. "press for message" .i used a 0-3,300ohm adjustable potentionmeter, instead of the 2,200 ohm resistor. allows much more control on the ground side.

2dollar91vcondsrmic648.jpg

i believe they also recommend ceramic disc caps. i used non polyester electrolytic , for crappulence.

however i think the sound quality is incredible. better than a nady 1000..more room, more response.

in the future it will be mounted on a peice of pipe. then mount the 9V , 90 degrees off the side of the pipe . also have the 1/4" jack out the bottom.

• Members

oh {censored}! hard to beat a 5$ condenser, huh?

so what would be the difference if I were to buy 2 of the mics for 5$ rather than a matched pair for 20?

if it came with an y position holder, I would totally buy those...20$ condenser stereo recording is better than no stereo recording.

• Members

yes, very hard. it really sounds fantastic.

the mic condenswer is $1.68. the rest of it can be under a dollar. the base could be a altoids box ,with a straw boom mast, with the condenser on the tip.

you get some trim pots in there on both sides, to even out your mic..tip - try tokeep things shielded.

this was completely free! it really has the powered 9-18 volt full condenser sound. no cheap scratchyness.

look around for junk like, panasonic phones, with the speaker phone function. save wires, caps, resistors, switches, leds,pots,etc...

you can make big toys.

• Members

J-Chot, I guess the Fq responce on the matched pair is exact. I bought 8 of the unmatched so I can eventually mike an entire drum set. I cant tell the difference in sound between any of them but I guess if you used a sine wave generator you could find some difference in their curves. I'm just running two as overheads for now and they sound pretty darn good considering the price.

I thought I might mount them inside my studio set and attach XLR hacks in the drums so all I have to do is plug the drums in. They do require phantom power so you need a mixer for the 48v or some other seperate power device.

• 7 months later...
  • Moderators

J-Chot, I guess the Fq responce on the matched pair is exact. I bought 8 of the unmatched so I can eventually mike an entire drum set. I cant tell the difference in sound between any of them but I guess if you used a sine wave generator you could find some difference in their curves. I'm just running two as overheads for now and they sound pretty darn good considering the price.

I thought I might mount them inside my studio set and attach XLR hacks in the drums so all I have to do is plug the drums in. They do require phantom power so you need a mixer for the 48v or some other seperate power device.

I notice that the frequency response is rated to only 13KHz.

Archived