Gibson players: 300k or 500k

guitarbilly74

• Members

500K. Gibson should have NEVER changed, and they changed back for a reason. It was good enough for the first 50 years of P90's and humbuckers.

With most, 300K just sounds muddy and anemic.

right on. I will try on my SG-X first since the wiring is simpler. :) If I like it I will do it on the Special too.

• Members

lestervid.jpg

RS Electronics upgrade kit installed, 500k CTS pots and some big ass music caps, 50's wiring & BB Pros (I pulled the covers off because I like the look of open coils on this guitar). They were bright until I set the pick-up height. Now I actually use my controls instead of leaving them on 10 all the time.

• Members

lestervid.jpg

RS Electronics upgrade kit installed, 500k CTS pots and some big ass music caps, 50's wiring & BB Pros (I pulled the covers off because I like the look of open coils on this guitar). They were bright until I set the pick-up height. Now I actually use my controls instead of leaving them on 10 all the time.

• Members

I was actually looking at the RS kits just now. Do you think they're worth the $?

The components themselves are very high quality. I've got the pots in my LP and they work as advertised and have outlasted all the volume pots in my other guitars.

• Members

Supposedly, JBs sound awesome with 300k on a Les Paul. I have yet to actually hear it.

This is what I have in my LP and it's not harsh at all. It actually dulled the 36th anni too much and maybe that's why I wanted something higher output. Oh well, JB with the 300k is kick ass and I have no plans to change it. Even works with my sunface. It normally doesn't like really hot pickups.

• Members

This is what I have in my LP and it's not harsh at all. It actually dulled the 36th anni too much and maybe that's why I wanted something higher output. Oh well, JB with the 300k is kick ass and I have no plans to change it. Even works with my sunface. It normally doesn't like really hot pickups.

Damn, that just gave me a b:love:ner!

Archived