So how are those Marshall 1936 2X12 cabinets?..

***1776***

• Members

I've never used one, but heard nothing but bad things about them. The main complaint I've heard is that it is made with press board.

I dont see that as a problem, if it still sounds good then it shouldnt be a problem.

I've been touring one for the last six months, uncased/uncovered and its been fine in terms of build and road durability.

• Members

For the couple of guys suggesting the Mesa Recto 2x12, I've owned both cabs, and the 1936 sounded MUCH better to me, WITH MY DSL.

It was night and day, and I was kind of shocked, but I did NOT like my DSL with a Recto 2x12 at all. Conversely, a recto 2x12 with a Dual Rec is something to write home about.

Are we talking stock? Coz while some people use them, I wouldn't really want to run V30s with a DSL or any Marshall-y Marshall. The mid-spike with V30s can be irritating enough with other amps, but Marshall? No thanks. I'd much rather something with the 75s in it. :idk:

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to run my old 1960A with something like a Dual Recto (not that I'd want to run a DR to begin with :o). Weak midrange and a big loose low end with a DR? Yeah, no thanks on that either.

I just run a Jet City 2x12 that I yanked the speakers out of and changed for some CL80s. Basically coz it was cheap and they seem to be built pretty solidly. Mesa stuff is just too expensive in this fuck hole country. That said, I might have a smaller box made up for it one day and drop the CL80s in that.

• Members

I dont see that as a problem, if it still sounds good then it shouldnt be a problem.

I've been touring one for the last six months, uncased/uncovered and its been fine in terms of build and road durability.

I'm with you. if it sounds good, use it. I don't care what it's made of. That's just what I've heard from a few people and it is probably just placebo effect. They probably liked it until they found out it was press board, lol

• Members

Are we talking stock? Coz while some people use them, I wouldn't really want to run V30s with a DSL or any Marshall-y Marshall. The mid-spike with V30s can be irritating enough with other amps, but Marshall? No thanks. I'd much rather something with the 75s in it.
:idk:

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to run my old 1960A with something like a Dual Recto (not that I'd want to run a DR to begin with
:o
). Weak midrange and a big loose low end with a DR? Yeah, no thanks on that either.

I just run a Jet City 2x12 that I yanked the speakers out of and changed for some CL80s. Basically coz it was cheap and they seem to be built pretty solidly. Mesa stuff is just too expensive in this fuck hole country. That said, I might have a smaller box made up for it one day and drop the CL80s in that.

Truth

• Members

For the couple of guys suggesting the Mesa Recto 2x12, I've owned both cabs, and the 1936 sounded MUCH better to me, WITH MY DSL.

It was night and day, and I was kind of shocked, but I did NOT like my DSL with a Recto 2x12 at all. Conversely, a recto 2x12 with a Dual Rec is something to write home about.

I also owned a Horizontal Recto cab for about 2-weeks before i bought the 1936.

The recto was really "scooped" sounding, plus was really low to the ground (Lower than the 1936, plus the 1936 baffle has a slight upward slant to it)

• Members

I think you may be right on this, the Mesa cabinet sounds fantastic at times (killer) and then at other times it sounds woofy, and a lil bassy if that makes sense

I just tried the 1936 and the cab in question and it looks like the cab has been used (not abused, but used) and the speakers may have broken in and now sound less spikey-trebley in them, am i nutz for hearing this?

:confused:

Archived