So how are those Marshall 1936 2X12 cabinets?..

***1776***

• Members

Im thinking of grabbing a one with GT-75's its a closed back (I currently have 2 partial open backs with V30s, GH12 and Greenback) The amps are a Marshall JVM and a JCity 22

The JVM gets a lil honkey-woffy/waaaa sounding at times, i was looking for another cabinet and i may get 1 in a trade? Yea, nay? ok - pros cons? thoughts?

I think they are about $650 new and this is a English made cab

:idk:

• Members

I swear by my 1936. Very well built, sounds great and very portable too. I prefer it over most manufacturers 2x12s, Orange, Mesa, Hiwatt, Peavey etc. For a 2x12 the 1936 is very easy to hear on stage and in a crowded rehearsal room. You have to pay a lot more to find better.

1936andl20h004.jpg

• Members

I often wonder why people go with the 1936 versus a 1960. The 1960 IMO is a much better sounding cabinet, partly due to having 4 speakers, plywood construction, and also 2 of the speakers up off the ground closer to your ears. The 1960 also picks your amp up off the floor so you can actually see and adjust knobs without hunching over.

Interestingly, the 1960's are easier to find used and actually sell for less than the 1936's (used). There are always a ton of 1960's on CL at the $300 mark.

If you can't fit a 1960 in your car, then OK, I understand. But as far as portability, the 1960 has casters and can be easily rolled. It's also not "that" heavy if you need to carry it.

Plus it looks cooler.

Just my 2 cents.

• Members

I often wonder why people go with the 1936 versus a 1960. The 1960 IMO is a much better sounding cabinet, partly due to having 4 speakers, plywood construction, and also 2 of the speakers up off the ground closer to your ears. The 1960 also picks your amp up off the floor so you can actually see and adjust knobs without hunching over.

Interestingly, the 1960's are easier to find used and actually sell for less than the 1936's (used). There are always a ton of 1960's on CL at the $300 mark.

If you can't fit a 1960 in your car, then OK, I understand. But as far as portability, the 1960 has casters and can be easily rolled. It's also not "that" heavy if you need to carry it.

Plus it looks cooler.

Just my 2 cents.

I have both and i'd say they sound different, neither one is a clear winner. I find the 1936 clearer, tighter and easier to hear, the 1960 generates more low end and looks awesome on stage. I use the 1936 because close mic'ed their is so little difference between the two cabs its hardly worth noting. I also dont need loads of low end, because i'm a guitarist, not a bassist.

• Members

I have both and i'd say they sound different, neither one is a clear winner. I find the 1936 clearer, tighter and easier to hear, the 1960 generates more low end and looks awesome on stage. I use the 1936 because close mic'ed their is so little difference between the two cabs its hardly worth noting. I also dont need loads of low end, because i'm a guitarist, not a bassist.

Yeah, and everything this dude is saying I have found to be the case as a fellow owner of both. Plus one to his past and future posts on the matter. :thu:

• Members

Plus it looks cooler.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree- seems like the 1936 is overpriced new and used. I still have a 1936 tho (not everyone wants you to show up with a stack!)

• Members

I agree- seems like the 1936 is overpriced new and used. I still have a 1936 tho (not everyone wants you to show up with a stack!)

I hardly see the 1936 come up locally on CL, but we always have a shit ton of 1960's around. I scored my JCM 900 1960A for $250. At the rate they are going for used, I bought 2 in the past month.

Can you put casters on the 1936 (without drilling holes)? I remember one forum member talking about having to carry it around like a pestilent child. :)

• Members

I often wonder why people go with the 1936 versus a 1960.
The 1960 IMO is a much better sounding cabinet, partly due to having 4 speakers, plywood construction, and also 2 of the speakers up off the ground closer to your ears. The 1960 also picks your amp up off the floor so you can actually see and adjust knobs without hunching over.

Plus it looks cooler.

Just my 2 cents.

I own two 1960's but they won't fit in my car, so currently I'm using a greenback loaded 1936 which i really like a lot.

• Members

For the couple of guys suggesting the Mesa Recto 2x12, I've owned both cabs, and the 1936 sounded MUCH better to me, WITH MY DSL.

It was night and day, and I was kind of shocked, but I did NOT like my DSL with a Recto 2x12 at all. Conversely, a recto 2x12 with a Dual Rec is something to write home about.

• Members

For the couple of guys suggesting the Mesa Recto 2x12, I've owned both cabs, and the 1936 sounded MUCH better to me, WITH MY DSL.

It was night and day, and I was kind of shocked, but I did NOT like my DSL with a Recto 2x12 at all. Conversely, a recto 2x12 with a Dual Rec is something to write home about.

Horizontal or Vertical?

Archived