500K pots & SSS

Belva

• Members

I recently replaced the SSS pickguard assy. on my Hamer strat with a 2 HB setup. After reading the recent 250K thread, I took a look at the original setup & found it has 3 500K pots!?! It was noisy & thin sounding; just plain sucked!

Looks to have a .047 cap but not sure of that. Just curious if changing to 250K pots might be an improvement. I'm happy with my GFS "FAT STRAT" pickguard assy. & don't want to change, but maybe I should find a project that needs electronics as I have this setup collecting dust. Ideas?

• Members

If it came pre wired (where you didnt get coils reverdes phased or something), 500K are what are used with humbuckers. Going to 250K would be worse going to 1 meg might give you a littel more but not usually a whole lot. Where did you get the assembly from, was it a Guitar Fettish Special?

• Members

I looked at the old sss pickguard assy. It has 500K pots. Yes the new GFS 2HB setup has 500k pots & I'm happy with it. I've since added a coil split & it sounds great. But the original sss is what I'm concerned with. Seems like it should have 250K pots. I also found the bridge ground wire not soldered properly on the sss pickguard. Possibly part of the noise concern.

• Members

Thanks for all of the help! I think I'll try resistor trick to tweak down the 500K's as I have a bunch of 1/4 watt resistors & this would be the cheapest(there I go again!) route. I'm learning alot hanging around here.

Archived